PDA

View Full Version : MAC vs. PC

c5m7b4
02-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Hey all,
Just wondering from your experiences, is Lightwave more stable on the MAC or the PC. I just got a new Macbook Pro and I have Lightwave for the PC. Just wondering if I should run that from Parallels or convert my license over to the MAC. I would appreciate your opinions. Also I have zBrush so any input on that would be appreciated as well. I know I will have to use both on either the MAC or the PC.

CaptainMarlowe
02-11-2012, 08:58 AM
You don't have to convert your license : your license is valid for both Mac and PC. So my advice would be to try and use Lightwave from Mac OS X or from Windows (through boot camp rather than parallels, though) and get your own idea. Even if you stick to the OS X version, you can this way occasionally launch the windows version to use some plug-ins that haven't been updated for Mac since the cocoa rewriting (PLG tools, for instance).
I'm running it natively under OS X, this said. Latest version have been very stable for me so far.

c5m7b4
02-11-2012, 09:47 AM
When I go to my License page on Newteks site, I only have a license for Windows. How do I convert that so it will work on MAC and PC? Great advice by the way. If I can run on both that would be awesome!!!

BlueApple
02-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I have used the Mac and PC flavors of LightWave between 8.5 and 9.6.1, and in my experience the PC versions have always been better polished pieces of software. I can't speak to the differences between the Mac and PC versions of LW 10/11, so others may want to chime in.

Give customer service a holler if you can't find your Win license. I recommend downloading the PC version, starting it up, and then writing down your product lock id before you call them.

ZBrush works pretty good on both Mac and PC, though there have been quality differences there as well. For example, HDRI files would not import into the Mac version of ZB4R2, whereas they worked fine in the PC version. This was fixed on the Mac side in ZB4R2b, but it is evidence that the two programs should not be assumed to be equally functional or buggy.

wrench
02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
You just need to register another platform with your serial number and Lock ID on your account at http://reg.newtek.com.

B

UnCommonGrafx
02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Go register and tell us the answer to your question.
I have one student who has great days with no crashes. Other days, he wants to choke the computer. He had one day of no crashes with fiberfx, even.
imacs, 23" and 27". I have yet to convert one to bootcamp to see the difference.

I think their beefier underpinnings goes a long way to giving 'umph' to the lw code.

I use a recently acquired macpro. My question is this: why the bleedin' pause every so often!! I know that it's probably a memory cache cleaning routine but it sure is annoying.
I have yet to have a long lw session on this machine.

Philbert
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
As I understand it the mac version is a lot more limited when it comes to plugin availability.

c5m7b4
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I called tech support today and the guys was like, 'sure, I can generate a key for you...uuhh...I'll have to get someone to call you on Monday, lol. Go figure. Now when I look at the page where my license keys are, it show unknown Mac version. I guess I'll have to wait until next week to start testing. I'm installing Lightwave on the Parallels version of windows first and I'll test that out. I really don't want to have to boot into Windows, but I may not have a choice. I'll keep you posted.

meshpig
02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
I called tech support today and the guys was like, 'sure, I can generate a key for you...uuhh...I'll have to get someone to call you on Monday, lol. Go figure. Now when I look at the page where my license keys are, it show unknown Mac version. I guess I'll have to wait until next week to start testing. I'm installing Lightwave on the Parallels version of windows first and I'll test that out. I really don't want to have to boot into Windows, but I may not have a choice. I'll keep you posted.

You register new software on the front page after you've logged in.

CaptainMarlowe
02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
As I understand it the mac version is a lot more limited when it comes to plugin availability.

Actually, the ONE that I really miss is PLG tools. Almost all the essential ones (who said Dp's ?) have ported to Mac thanks to people like Lightwolf.

mcotner
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I really like using my Mac, but if you want to take advantage of Messiah for animation and DAZ for characters then you're better off on the PC.

If you think you'll mostly be using LW standalone then a Mac is great. I don't find it to be unstable at all.

aidenvfx
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
If you are debating between Mac or PC for VFX work go with a PC. I am a Mac guy and I love my Mac Pro but if I did it again I would go PC based. The graphics cards are so much better and it seems with more GPU focus and specifically NVIDIA card focused the PC is a better option. Sadly Apple for the most part has turned it's back on the Pro community and is not active in the same way it was 10 years ago.

c5m7b4
02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I tried using Lightwave through Parallels on the PC Version with the MAC and it acts really weird. Sluggish and when I try to use the move tool to move some vertices, it goes crazy. Not really sure why. I have 8 GIGS of RAM coming tomorrow so I'll try again before I partition my drive and try the boot camp way.

sami
02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
If you are debating between Mac or PC for VFX work go with a PC. I am a Mac guy and I love my Mac Pro but if I did it again I would go PC based. The graphics cards are so much better and it seems with more GPU focus and specifically NVIDIA card focused the PC is a better option. Sadly Apple for the most part has turned it's back on the Pro community and is not active in the same way it was 10 years ago.

I went mac pro for Final Cut a few years ago (and yes FCP is crap now and I've since come running back to Premiere) but have always been bi. Bi-platform that is. Running Win 7 64bit on a Mac Pro is awesome and works perfectly. I can always boot back to Mac if needed. I also run VMware Fusion (and VMWare Player on Win7) and use it to share a 3rd Windows VM with my email and Office programs between the Mac and Win 7 OSes. So that means I can get my email in the same place on both bootcamp partitions and also separate out my office junk to a "different" machine than my VFX stuff. I also use Mac Drive on my Win7 bootcamp partition so that I can read and write Mac files to shared drives between the two.

CS5 running on both works a treat and is an identical experience. Although I do have LW installed on both, unfortunately because of plugins not available for Mac and a bit of LW-Mac instability, I tend to only tweak things or do minor 3D work on Mac and boot into Win7 when I want to do serious work.

Unity works identically on both though as does 3DCoat which is great. :)

3dworks
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
indeed the plugin situation on the mac side has evolved onto the positive side, very few are missing anymore, thanks to all the ports by mike wolf and some others.

as for the stability, nearly cannot get to crash version 11 here, even with very complex scenes.

as for the speed, i didn't make any recent render speed tests on both OS sides as i mostly render using maxwell, but it seems to be on comparable levels, newtek did care about optimizing the mac platform with the latest releases.

on the minus side, opengl in general will be a bit slower under osx than on windows, but the newest macbooks have quite fast GPU's, so probably you should have no issues with this, if not handling extreme complex scenes every day.

if you decide to use LW under windows, DON'T use parallels, but setup your macbook as a dual boot machine with windows 7 on one partition and osx on the other and boot natively. parallels is really a handy as a virtualization solution for non performance hungry processes - probably reaching up to a 70-80% of the native speed, but a 3d package like LW needs definitely all your CPU and GPU power to be used seriously.

my 2 eurocents :D

cheers

markus

PS.: if you decide to go with a dual boot solution (in any case clever for having that extra option), i can only recommend to install 'paragon NTFS for mac' on osx and 'HFS+ for windows' from the same company on the other side, so you can read *and* write in both worlds... what both do is to install compatible drivers for the other file system. once installed you will wonder why it wasn't as simple in the past.

sami
02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
recommend to install 'paragon NTFS for mac' on osx and 'HFS+ for windows' from the same company on the other side, so you can read *and* write in both worlds...

I use Mac Drive (8?) on Win7 and it is rock solid stable and very very low cpu (dont notice any difference). I was wondering about the NTFS solution by Paragon, but I've read in Paragon's own forums dozens and dozens of irate complaints about losing data and the NTFS for Windows by paragon to be unstable and horrible. Do you find that is true? I've avoided Paragon because of the vitriol in their forums and the not so helpful responses from their support. I've been told the open source NTFS for Mac is better and safer...?

I tend to only write to Mac drives from Mac (or Samba drives) and read from NTFS only from Mac, and then write to Mac (or Samba) or NTFS from Win7. I would like to have an NTFS writer from Mac though, just not sure what to pick. I bet it would give more sales to both MS and Apple if they'd just play nice out of the box.

Is Paragon safe, stable and not going to corrupt my data?

BigHache
02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
sami have you ever had any issues with Mac Drive 8? I'm running that as well with Win7 and have had situations where I tried to copy files, but the transfer rate progressively decreases to the point where the file(s) never finish. Other times it's been rock solid.

Last time I had to transfer large file sizes I wound up having to connect my Mac external drive to my Mac, then network to it with the Win7 box, which completely makes Mac Drive pointless.

herold
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I tried using Lightwave through Parallels on the PC Version with the MAC and it acts really weird. Sluggish and when I try to use the move tool to move some vertices, it goes crazy. Not really sure why. I have 8 GIGS of RAM coming tomorrow so I'll try again before I partition my drive and try the boot camp way.

I experience that too, with LW under Parallels (XP or Win7): The moment you press and drag the mouse to move objects, pan the view or really any interactive manipulation, things just shoot off in some arbitrary direction, as if the mouse has become extremely sensitive... Maybe som Parallels driver virtualization problem...

Works fine when booting into Windows, but sometimes it's just practical to try something out over on Windows without rebooting.
Besides that, on the most recent Macs booting into WinXP is no longer supported, so if you want to run Windows LW on Mac hardware natively, you are forced to buy Win7...

BeeVee
04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
You need to switch your mode from Mouse to Tablet in Options. Parallels doesn't "do" relative mouse movements (AFAIK) so you need to pretend you are using a tablet.

B

herold
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
You need to switch your mode from Mouse to Tablet in Options. Parallels doesn't "do" relative mouse movements (AFAIK) so you need to pretend you are using a tablet.

B

Thanks BeeVee, super workaround :)

Just came around to experiment after posting; it appears that you can gain normal LW control of the mouse (also) by selecting your USB mouse in Parallels' "Device" menu, thereby connecting it directly to the virtual machine. It can be quite a drag however, to get the mouse released to the host OS again, even though there is supposed to be a keyboard shortcut for the purpose...
I think I'll go with the tablet mode!

/ herold

sami
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
sami have you ever had any issues with Mac Drive 8? I'm running that as well with Win7 and have had situations where I tried to copy files, but the transfer rate progressively decreases to the point where the file(s) never finish. Other times it's been rock solid.

Last time I had to transfer large file sizes I wound up having to connect my Mac external drive to my Mac, then network to it with the Win7 box, which completely makes Mac Drive pointless.

Sorry BigHache, I never saw your question back then for some reason. If it is still relevant to you, I've never had any issues at all with Mac Drive 8 (I tend to usually update to their latest when it is available). It's been rock solid for me with 4 TB drives some with win and mac partitions. If I recall correctly, all my mac drives are HFS Mac Journaled formatted if that makes a difference. I've copied folders with thousands of small files as well as 100Gb files no problem between win and mac with it...

BigHache
04-13-2012, 07:03 AM
No worries. I haven't used that drive on my Win machine recently, but I'd say my issue is still present. Good to know someone has solid performance, I'll just have to keep testing. Thank you.