PDA

View Full Version : Hard Physics and proxys?

objuan
02-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I've been looking in to doing some hard physics calculation stuff, and LW looks pretty capable.

My situation is different than the tutorials I have seen though. My objects, are pretty complex spring devices which I built straight, and am then using multi-target morphing on to get them to do what I want. Now I'm told we also want to drop them on the ground.

What i want to do is run physics on essentially several octagon cylinders falling to the floor and coming to rest, and then hide them and parent my complex fancy objects to those.

With what I have seen so far I could set up the octagons on a layer and drop them, but I do know how I would parent my objects to points on one layer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

nickdigital
02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
It sounds like you're describing Hardlink
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Hardlink.mov

Another option would be to save out the motions of your low proxy sim objects and apply them to your springs. You can save out the motions of your proxy objects in the EditFX tab.

objuan
02-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks Nick,

That is indeed the tut I had seen a long time ago and was loosely basing my concept on, and I can probably make it work for me.

But what I really want is to set up the physics, and then drive 4 different nulls with it. Each null has a complex hierarchy under it. I want to do just what he did in the tut, but instead of it driving a single layer with multiple 'contiguous objects' on it, I want it to drive 4 nulls, each centered on each monkey.

Really, rather than having to set up my proxy objects on 1 layer, I would prefer to have each one be its own object in Layout and run physics on each of them. Is there a way to do that?

nickdigital
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, you should be able to do a simulation on multiple objects that are their own file. I haven't used HardLink much but I have exported the motion out of a simulation to apply that to a separate object. I did that because I eventually reduced the motion to a manageable curve in the Graph Editor so I could adjust the motion. I relied on the dynamics (it was actually a particle simulation) for the basic motion and then hand tweaked it as specific things had to happen in front of the camera at a specific time.

So as to your question about driving a null...not sure. Maybe someone else on the forum can chime in on that.