PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Ogre for Game Dev --> Help exporting LW 10 Animations

wtdedula
02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hello All;
Is anyone using Ogre for Game development and trying to get LW content into it ? If so, I need serious help. I am working with a developer to develop a game and the developer led me to the LW exporter which allows me to export either a .mesh or .scene. The exporter seems to work fine except for one thing which is totally hanging us up. When I export a .mesh, the exporter generates a .xml file. In order to get a .mesh file from that, we need to run it through the OGRE .xml converter but when I do that, I get a "conversion failed" error or something like that. The export .scene seems to work OK but we really can't test it because it apparently needs the .mesh file to work.

So does anyone know what may be causing the ogre .XML converter to fail to convert my mesh xml file ? I converted the mesh to all triangles before export and I tried the export on two different 32-bit computers and both failed the same way. Not sure what's wrong but I really need to find out quickly.

I know we have a few ogre users on here because there is talk here and there on this Forum. While I would sure like to get the Lightwave converter working, I may try the Blender exporter as an intermediate platform to see if it works.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Tim

sami
02-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Yes, unfortunately. Ogre sucks. It's format sucks. Switch to Unity it kicks ogres *** in every way.

But to answer your question, this was the biggest pain with ogre, getting decent content in it, with uv maps intact and polystyrene not flipped etc.

It was a long time ago, so i cant remember exactly and I haven't tried it with 10.x I'm still on 9.6.1 I have a couple of plugins for 9.x that seem to "work" [read: some of the time and with some settings and with in the 32bit version of LW 9.x that export from layout to the ogre text format and then you can run the ogre command line tools to convert them to ogre binary format.

I can maybe dig up those tools if you like, but they are probably googleable and although it was nice of the author to release them, I think they are abandoned and have many bugs. Your best bet might be pulling LW content into Blender then finding a tool that exports to ogre from blender (can't recall if the new version of blender does ogre?) or there's always Milkshape, which I assume is still around and might be of help as it does a lot of the really obscure and dead 3d formats and imports LWOs fine....

Hope that helps.

OnlineRender
02-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Take the lwo into blender and export it from there ...honestly ogre is really bad you might as well use webgl ...go unity or id tech or cry engine

Sensei
02-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Attach here XML.. Maybe it's simple mistake in XML structure, which will be visible even without running program..
Typical issue- tag without data, but it's not ended properly f.e. <data> [... ] </data> but if it's empty <data />
or using special characters that only XML can use. To name a few <, >, /
They are must be converted to entities.

Sensei
02-11-2012, 04:52 AM
There are XML validators on the net..
f.e. http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp