PDA

View Full Version : now, *that's* a challenge.

Pavlov
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
hi all,
please look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apEBkG3GYuU

A client needs to use a huge system like this in a work. It will cover an entire room's roof and will display moving items.
Luckily enough i've to make only stills, but it's a challenge anyway.
It's a 3d matrix of leds which can show an object in 3D, like an hologram.
Think you have to display an object inside this matrix;
- you cant put a 3d model there and apply a world-coordinate dotted clipmap, because you would see object's interior, and dots would deform if object's surface is not perpendicular to one axis (dot would get stretched).
- you cant put a dark model there and then project dots with distant lights to lighten its surface, because light dots would deform on non perpendicular surfaces.
- you cant render the object and then front projection it because you would need to project each pixel at proper "depth" into the matrix.

So, the only things i tought about are:
- a method which allows an object to be transformed in a fixed-grid voxel array (HV cant do it. Volumedic ?)
- creating a 3d array of 1-pt polys, putting an invisible object inside the matrix and using a nodal setup which allows each dot to seek 10cm around for hidden object's surface, and if they hit surface, they get the color of that point. I'm actually not able to build such a nodal setup.

Beside the fact i need this for work, it seems a pretty funny challenge since it doesnt look easy or obvious at all, unless i'm missing something obvious. All suggestions are wellcome ;)

thanks,
Paolo

mummyman
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
That's pretty cool looking... Man.. not sure.. maybe something with DPkit??? I haven't messed around enough with it to even come up with something practical.

Pavlov
02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
yes... apparently i solved it with a single node from DPkit.
It was easier than i thought, basically i simulated the array with clipped planes, and i used a Colorbleed node to give leds the color of the hidden object.
Ok, it was not *that* challenge, but at least these gadgets looks cool ;)

Paolo

erikals
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
PolyMove with Scale perhaps,
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=717450&postcount=18

(edit, see you solved it :]

rikka+
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi Paolo!
if you still need this..
you can control the shading of the 3d virtual shape with a node setup "like" this. In this example i used a 3d box but it work good also on a box of single leds.
With the new possibility to animated the gradient node you can also animate the color variation (just in case of animation).
ciao:)

Pavlov
02-11-2012, 03:49 AM
hei rikka ! very interesting, we'll see how to merge the two things. The method i found works quite good, anyway we'll see. Probably the work i'm talking about is yours ;)
Here's a frame, i animated a car into the matrix.

Paolo

dwburman
02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
That's cool and I'm glad you found a solution. My first thought was TrapCode's Form plugin for AE. (although I haven't used it)

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/trapcode-form/