View Full Version : Blossoming Flower

02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Hey everyone,

I was contracted for two :15 spots which are going to require a blossoming flower in each. I'm not sure what type of flower, but I was wondering what would be the most efficient way to go about doing this, while also giving the best results.

Morphs? Bones? Splines? Maybe a combination of everything for different parts of the flower?



02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Totally guessing here...

Normally I would say bones. Unless you need an exact match for a logo then I think a morph would allow you to ensure that the match is as close as you possibly can.

But bones is my first instinct....(maybe joints)

Remember reference, reference, reference.

Nicolas Jordan
02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I would normally say morphs but the best method to use will likely depend on what kind of flower it is and will probably require a bit of experimentation.

02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah I was thinking bones too. I've been doing a lot of experimenting, but when I get the storyboards I'll see if I'm able to post up a shot of the flower, not sure if they have any preference.


02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd go with bones. It's easier to adjust bones to get the shape/pose you want. With morphs you have to deal with linear interpolation which might make your flower animation look odd/unnatural.

And of course you could always use a mix of both.

Good luck.

02-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Splineguide/bones And if you have LW11 you can use instances for the petals which will make the job quick and easier to animate.

02-12-2012, 06:21 AM
I did once a test and I used bones and morphs because with morphs you can control nicely secondary/overlapping motions. But you need bones for curling out and twisting the petals. That example is in the office, on monday I can upload an example.

02-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Bones and morphs are good.
Should look beautiful done right on a few different petal shapes, then clone them and offset the timing when in position.

03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Finally got the contract all squared away for this! They gave me the storyboards the other day and I cropped out how they want the flower to look to show you guys. Thanks for all the suggestions! More experimenting begins...