PDA

View Full Version : Seamless texture + UV map question

Nangleator
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I should know this, but I've worked a whole career without running into it.

I've got a UV texture for my enormous object. I've got a seamless texture that would cover a tiny portion of the whole object. But applying that texture to the UV results in ONE copy of the texture over the whole object.

How do I tile it?

Do I edit the UV and scale the geometry up until it's hundreds of times the UV window? Or is there another way?

JeffrySG
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
In this case I've always just filled the UV map with a repeating tile pattern that I built in photoshop. Do you actually need to use UVs on this object? Could you just use planar or spherical mapping with your tile-able texture? Then you could just set the tile size to anything you needed.

Nangleator
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Okay, I was afraid of that. I'll try it. I converted it to 256-color, thinking it might be necessary.

It's a boxy object, but I don't want seams on my smoothed corners.

Tobian
02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
If you add the texture using the node editor, you can set the U and V tiling in there.

Another trick would be to just scale up the UV texture massively, (like say 1000% for 10 repeats) using the 'transform uv's function in the mapping editor. This has the advantage that the results are viewable in OGL, but the disadvantage that it's a pain to amend/edit your UV map.

JeffrySG
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
If you add the texture using the node editor, you can set the U and V tiling in there.

oh duh... why did I never notice that! lol... yeah! :thumbsup: That's how I'd do it depending on how the UV worked out. I guess if it was for a cube-ish shape it would work well.

Nangleator
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Ooh, thank you!

Node noobishness nips me again!

Tobian
02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah the only problem you will have is the UV tiling will have visible seams at the place where the UV seams are, but if those are mostly hidden, then you won't have much of an issue. If it's just subtle noise then it won't matter anyway.