PDA

View Full Version : Car Crash simulation

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyone have some thoughts on simulating a car crash? Tutorials, or even videos that have been made with lightwave?

Lot's of them out there, but most are pretty fakey for legal stuff. We are working on a more photo realistic version.

We may not actually see the impact (still working on the story board for that) but wondering what a good technique would be for crumpling the geometry etc.

Don't have 11 yet, but was thinking about the new bullet dynamics for glass and shrapnel.

Anyway, thoughts would be great! Thanks.

nickdigital
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
We may not actually see the impact (still working on the story board for that) but wondering what a good technique would be for crumpling the geometry etc.

Maybe morphs or some free floating bones that you could animate (move, rotate, squash/stretch).

tcoursey
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
ah, yes bones are a good idea. I forget they are for more than just "characters".

Can you somehow make the bones react with hardFX or something, so that the actual impact makes the bones move I wonder?

Thanks for any more input. :D

nickdigital
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Can you somehow make the bones react with hardFX or something, so that the actual impact makes the bones move I wonder?

I don't think so. You could probably do some hack where you do hardFX on something, bake out the motion of a vertex and then apply that to the bone. You would have to make sure your baked out motion applies well to your bone position though.

Is this a slo-mo shot? Car collisions are quick and violent. If your setup doesn't involve too many pieces I'd probably just hand-key it. Easier to control.

tcoursey
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the thoughts.

Yea right now it's open for study. We could just do the quick smash, cut to other angles and see it there with very little "animation" of the crumple.

We are also thinking of doing a little "bullet time" during the actual impact, much more difficult, but may not need to see as much "crumple" as just a fewe pieces would do that, then go back to full speed another angle....

Just thoughts. Thanks again.

shrox
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
http://vimeo.com/1490030

This has a crash I did in it about 50 seconds in. I used a few endomorphs for the body. The flying glass is an expanding windshield object deformed with a procedural displacement map, and by shrinking the polys as the objects expands and deforms. There are some emitters and HVs too for the glass.

tcoursey
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
http://vimeo.com/1490030

This has a crash I did in it about 50 seconds in. I used a few endomorphs for the body. The flying glass is an expanding windshield object deformed with a procedural displacement map, and by shrinking the polys as the objects expands and deforms. There are some emitters and HVs too for the glass.

Love it. Great motion, cool color treatment. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

prometheus
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Great stuff there with morphs shrox:thumbsup:

You could activate ik booster and bone dynamics, and use collision objects.
http://vimeo.com/26327972

other techniques would be to use cloth fx with proper settings it can look like hard body but getting dents when it collides.

Michael