PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Menace 3D - relive the disappointment!

dsol
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I got a free ticket for an advance screening of Phantom Menace in 3D last night. The downside was... it was The Phantom Menace. I gave it a chance - I know, I'm an idiot. Maybe my memories have been tempered by the sublime "Phantom Edit" recut, 'cos it was even worse than I remembered. A huge thunking turd of a movie.

I sat there, gnashing my teeth through most of the running time, mentally planning a photoshop of the poster. I now present it for your entertainment (attached).

dsol
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
On the plus side - the 3D conversion was handled very well. Almost too subtle really, you barely noticed it was there in most scenes. That doesn't really help with the fact the movie is almost unwatchably dull.

Has anyone else been - or is planning to go to see - this in Theatres? Lucas could have avoided all this by simply making the infamous "Phantom edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Edit)" version, the official release. It would have been cheaper to convert too as it removes about half an hour of redundant scenes from what is a surprisingly long film.

Titus
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't want to watch it, but the missus wants, so I'm gonna go. Sadly.

cresshead
02-09-2012, 11:08 AM
i think the film is okay...not watched for a few years on dvd though...might give it a re spin this weekend

KurtF
02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Mentioning the Phantom Edit - is it available anywhere?

GregMalick
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Your poster is the absolute best part of this gross disappointment of a movie.

Kionel
02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
At the risk of being "that guy", the word "re-live" needs a hyphen.

(Sorry...tech writing background is showing again.)

Regardless, perfect poster.

There is no way on god's green Earth that I could be convinced to see "The Phantom Menace" in a theater again. It's just...just awful.

Agreed wholeheartedly with "The Phantom Edit". While it doesn't make TPM good, it makes it watchable. I also have a soft spot for the re-edit of "Attack of the Clones". It, too, removes over an hour from the movie, and actually makes the love story between Anakin and Padme, well, while not compelling, bearable.

I've had an idea tickling at the back of my brain for the past few years: I wonder if a good movie could be created by combining Episodes I, II, and III? Kind of like "The Corleone Saga", except focusing on Anakin's rise and fall? I wonder if that could be done...

dsol
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Mentioning the Phantom Edit - is it available anywhere?

Just a google away. There's plenty of torrents around (I actually bought this turd on DVD, so don't feel bad for grabbing TPE online!). I actually recommend getting the DVD image version - the "phantom commentary" and special features are great!

erikals
02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I wonder if a good movie could be created by combining Episodes I, II, and III? Kind of like "The Corleone Saga", except focusing on Anakin's rise and fall? I wonder if that could be done...

a good idea, maybe a 2.5 hour movie, but it would still not be the Star Wars prequel(s) we all hoped for.

littlewaves
02-10-2012, 03:41 AM
a good idea, maybe a 2.5 hour movie, but it would still not be the Star Wars prequel(s) we all hoped for.

I'm making those myself. Out of plasticine.

I'll let you know when I'm done.

could be a while

littlewaves
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
I don't want to watch it, but the missus wants, so I'm gonna go. Sadly.

Really? A guy being dragged to see a Star Wars prequel by his wife?

I for one find that hard to believe.

Intuition
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
The farting space camel was much more poetic in 3D.

I just thought to myself "...Shakespear has been surpassed.."

Titus
02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Really? A guy being dragged to see a Star Wars prequel by his wife?

I for one find that hard to believe.

I'm not a nerd. Well, I'm a grown up nerd. Have read some of the 19 SW paperback books and watched the whole saga but got fed with the precuels. My wife gave me the Bluray version for christmas, haven't touched the first three. But somehow she still thinks I like them.

Nicolas Jordan
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I have the movie poster laminated and mounted because I always thought the poster was way better than the movie itself. It's sad when a movie can't even live up to it's own poster.

shrox
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I saw The Phantom Menace on a Taco Bell cup when it first came out. That was enough.

Dexter2999
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm not a nerd. Well, I'm a grown up nerd. Have read some of the 19 SW paperback books and watched the whole saga but got fed with the precuels. My wife gave me the Bluray version for christmas, haven't touched the first three. But somehow she still thinks I like them.

She loves you enough to know that you like "that kind of stuff" and wanted you to have it.

The rest is details.

You are lucky, Sir.

Rollie Hudson
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes, The Phantom Menace 3D was painful to watch again at the theater - as a movie... But as isolated Industrial Light and Magic CGI scenes in 3D there was some cool stuff. = It's like watching a demo reel for the FX work and mentally editing out the horrible acting and plotting. The Jedi heroes just leave the mother in slavery and take the kid? Really? In what movie do the heroes ever do that - when they don't have to? But I digress. The pod race in 3D is cool, as are the flying cars and skyscrapers on Coruscant. The final light saber battle with Darth Sideous has its moments... And I kept checking the 3D transfer quality by pushing down my RealD 3D glasses and looking at how they handled 2D depth of field transfer, convergence points etc.

jasonwestmas
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I saw The Phantom Menace on a Taco Bell cup when it first came out. That was enough.

he-he, I saw the Darth Maul guy with grease paint and thought that was enough. I'm not sure how I got sucked into seeing the movie, probably because I wanted to see so-called next gen FX for 1999.

kevman3d
02-12-2012, 01:08 AM
I believe this is known as "milking it for all its worth" - Imagine how much money must be flowing into Georgies piggy bank from making you spend money to re-watch the same movie for the 3rd time. :D

shrox
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I believe this is known as "milking it for all its worth" - Imagine how much money must be flowing into Georgies piggy bank from making you spend money to re-watch the same movie for the 3rd time. :D

I have to pee.

Ernest
02-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Very important! Because now, at long last, he'll finally be able to buy that... _______ that he always wanted.

Titus
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, he almost got broke after his divorce. As an example, his wife spent two millions to recover the San Rafael Theater. It's for a good cause.

Nangleator
02-13-2012, 08:10 AM
How scintillating were the congressional proceedings? Did the speaker's gavel leap right out into your face? Were the points of order breathtaking in their majesty? Did all the representative's chamber pods form a vaguely pleasing spiral shape in the big chamber? Did the movie have any characters this time around?

jasonwestmas
02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
In the starwars universe, all you need to do it look impressive with a booming voice and you'll get anything your twisted heart desires. Luckily despite the Jedi being unable to see evil incarnate in the face, they are there to save the day after the bad guys rise to supreme power. I guess when Quigon-jin said that Anikin would bring balance to the force he meant that there was too much light-sidedness and needed a darker side too. ^.^

wrightyp100
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Watching priministers questions in 3d would be more fun.

shrox
02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
In the starwars universe, all you need to do it look impressive with a booming voice and you'll get anything your twisted heart desires...

Simba! I am your father...

wrightyp100
02-14-2012, 03:07 AM
I actually met one of the guys who worked on the film, originally as a spark, but got asked to operate the remote controlled r2 for some scenes. I didn't know this at the time and proceeded to tear stpm a new one. I went to get a drink and he turned to my wife and said he worked on the film and was now scared to tell me.

I felt terrible.

He said "don't feel bad. The film was rubbish."

lwanmtr
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, look at it this way...only 2 more 3D releases of 'Star Wars' before we get to see a 1977 movie conveerted into 3d...lol. Or is that when Lucas will just remake 4-6?

Titus
02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Just out from watching "The people vs George Lucas" documentary. Interesting point of views, basically G.L. owes ous the original version of the movie :).

bazsa73
02-20-2012, 12:56 AM
the only thing I liked in menacing phantoms was the lightsaber duel in the end and the death of darth maul, though his ridiculous devillooking outfit made him look like a cheap figure from a marionette circus

Nangleator
02-20-2012, 04:35 AM
... the lightsaber duel in the end and the death of darth maul...
Oh, you mean this scene? (http://www.jackals-forge.com/abominate/abom16.html)

dsol
02-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Well, look at it this way...only 2 more 3D releases of 'Star Wars' before we get to see a 1977 movie conveerted into 3d...lol. Or is that when Lucas will just remake 4-6?

A 1977 movie - with George's "special" CG additions :(
Oh and remember - Han shot first!!!! Damn you Lucas...

shrox
02-20-2012, 09:43 AM

That reminds me of Colin's Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

wrench
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
George Lucas now denies that Han *ever* shot first: http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/george-lucas-claims-han-shot-stupid-liar.html

We went to see it on Saturday at the insistence of our 9-year old son who has seen it several times on DVD and wanted to see it on the big screen and in 3D. He still really likes the film, but wanted to know where the 3D was and why he had had to wear the stupid glasses when there was none. I had to explain that it was a film made for 1999 when there wasn't this current wave of 3D and that the film had to be cut into pieces so they could fake a 3D environment.

B

jasonwestmas
02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

haha, did Lucas animate that?

bazsa73
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for reminding. I almost forgot it totally. Terrific.