PDA

View Full Version : Red headed stepchild - Parenter?

objuan
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I am trying to have an object swap parents with Parenter. I have done this before and it worked good, but that time the object didnt do anything but sit there as controlled by different parents.

This time I want it to move relative to the 1st parent, and then make some other moves, relative to the 2nd object. But once I Parenter it, the move controls dont seem to respond.

I imagine I could parent my object to a null, and then Parenter the null, and be able to move the object like that. But what I actually want, is to have my object move itself off in space at some random angle, and then move into alignment with, and dock on my second object, which is also moving at random angles.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

objuan
02-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Am I doing something wrong with Parenter? I dont think I am that abusive.

All I want to do is key frame the object after it's parent has changed. I can create a new rotation keyframe and it will spin around, but if I try to move it nothing happens.

Arg.

probiner
02-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Yes, but try to do the following: use a null with the Parenter options you need. Then make the "final object" child of the Null, so, while the Null is locked into Parenter, the child can move.

Cheers

3DGFXStudios
02-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Maybe you can use the "same as item" option? You can blend motions to 2 different controllers that way........