PDA

View Full Version : upgrading

KillMe
10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
just wondering where i go to get my lightwave manuals and cd's when itsout - do it go tot myorigianl supplier or do i purchase them direct from newtek? would really like to know since well not go the best internet connection so i would rather get the cd's and manauls sent out pretty quick when it does ship

Macet01
10-19-2003, 10:53 PM
From what I saw when I prepurchased is that there will be a convienance pack being sold for $99.00 US for the CDs and hard copy manuals.

hrgiger
10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
I'd like to know that the manuals will be a little better if I'm going to pay an extra $100 for them.

WizCraker
10-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Yeah I second that, doesn't cost $99 to burn a CD.

cresshead
10-20-2003, 05:27 AM
i think the manuals will be greatly improved..i heard a while back that they are working on them..we might even get a tutorial section /manual as well as the reference book...which would def be worth $99.

also the content on lightwave 8 has been replaced i hear with ALL NEW objects and scenes to showcase the new app which will be great...not sure if you can download that or if the electronic version is only the app from newtek...so the $99 extra may be a great way to upgrade and get real substance to lightwave 8.

DarkLight
10-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I'd like to know that the manuals will be a little better if I'm going to pay an extra $100 for them.

I guess they will supply a PDF manual. I would like to have a paper manual, but i very rarely use mine now, so i won't bother with the paper one until i see if there is any improvement in it.

hrgiger
10-20-2003, 07:16 AM
I guess that's true, I'll be able to judge from the pdf manual. However, I read my hardcopies all the time, or at least I used to until my manual fell apart. Now it's just a pain. I hate reading such a large manual on the computer screen. I spend enough time looking at it as is.

DarkLight
10-20-2003, 07:47 AM
I quite like the HTML help system Newtek released with 7.5c. I tend to use that more than the manuals. At least it's easily searchable.

WilliamVaughan
10-20-2003, 07:53 AM
All new content that is amazing! and the Help file will be updated to LW8 which I use on a daily basis :)

DarkLight
10-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Proton,

Do you know if there has been any updates to the SDK documentation for LW8?

MrWyatt
10-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by proton
All new content that is amazing! and the Help file will be updated to LW8 which I use on a daily basis :)

Will there be less data in the download deal then on cd?
just wonder if there is a difference between the two possibilities.
I have a really fast connection so I wanted to get the download deal as itīs cheaper, but I wouldnīt like to miss the cool new stuff including scenes and objects. could someon from Newtek put some light on that issue? pleeeeease.

TSpyrison
10-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I guess that's true, I'll be able to judge from the pdf manual. However, I read my hardcopies all the time, or at least I used to until my manual fell apart. Now it's just a pain. I hate reading such a large manual on the computer screen. I spend enough time looking at it as is.

The only time I read the hardcopies is in the bathroom..
I guess its tagged huh? :D

mattbolton
10-20-2003, 08:32 AM
That's where 3 monitors comes in handy. :D
2 for LW, and one for the help file. ;)
I've only had multiple monitors for less than a week, and already I am hooked.

WilliamVaughan
10-20-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by MrWyatt
Will there be less data in the download deal then on cd?
just wonder if there is a difference between the two possibilities.
I have a really fast connection so I wanted to get the download deal as itīs cheaper, but I wouldnīt like to miss the cool new stuff including scenes and objects. could someon from Newtek put some light on that issue? pleeeeease.

It will be a hefty Download but you wont miss out on anything :)

cresshead
10-20-2003, 08:57 AM
thanks for clearing up the question on the download vs the disc/printed manual...

looking forward to taking lw8's new ik etc for a spin!

cheers

MrWyatt
10-21-2003, 09:23 AM

cool. good to know. Hopefully it doesnīt come out befor december as thatīs the soonest moment i can afford the special deal. and hefty downloads donīt frighten me as Iīm on a uni-network and I suck 30 MB movietrailers by the minute. Yes guys you have absolutely the right to hate me.:rolleyes:

DarkLight
10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Lucky you.

In my last job i had a 2Meg internet connection and downloading 30 meg would take a couple of minutes. Now i'm sharing an adsl connection with about 10 people and at home i've only got ISDN:(

I miss my fast internet connection.

PixelDust
10-21-2003, 04:34 PM

How hefty are we talking about - 30 Megs? 50 Megs? >100 Megs? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

cresshead
10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
here's a good guess....at the size of the download of lw8...

they current install of lw7.5 is around 400-500mb
add to that the html help system that's around 100mb
and just think that the install will be on cdrom not dvd disc
and i'd say it will pretty much fill a cdrom..or 650mb

of course if they add loads of tutorial videos..it may well be on dvd!....just think your very own proton and deuce dynamic duo tutorial dvd's!!!...

steve g

DarkLight
10-22-2003, 02:22 AM
I think it will probably still be on CD not DVD, but there's nothing to say it only has to be one CD :)

ChrisS
10-22-2003, 09:13 AM

Just one request!
Please offer a web based download option, at least for a little while initially! I've noticed that while most are FTP, a handful of your downloads are available via the web. Much to my chagrin, I've found that the free textures have also been moved to FTP.

Your FTP server doesn't like something at my end and won't let me access it. :(

mrunion
10-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Have you tried:

http://www.web2ftp.com

It is a "web-based" FTP interface. It's free, there's nothing to download, and you can upload and download all you want.

ChrisS
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Hey! That's awsome!
I've been looking for something like that for AGES, thanks!
I'll give it a look-see.