PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT topic for full on Star Trek fans...

shrox
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
How would you beat the Kobayashi Maru test at Starfleet Academy? I have a plan...

Cryonic
02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I prefer Kirk's. Change the scenario and give myself the out.

shrox
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Here's how I would do it. Tell the crew of the Maru to assemble in small groups for easier transport on the upper and lower deck,. Warp in to a point about 500 meters above her, clear out the top decks. Warp back out, appear right next to the furthest Kilngon ship, just long enough to blip on their sensors, then warp under the Maru, 500 meters below, clear out the bottom deck. High tail it home.

Think you can handle that, Mr. Sulu? We're all counting on you.

realgray
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
How would you beat the Kobayashi Maru test at Starfleet Academy? I have a plan...

You beat it by just completing it win or lose. It is a test of character. :)

shrox
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
You beat it by just completing it win or lose. It is a test of character. :)

No, I have to WIN!

Cryonic
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Here's how I would do it. Tell the crew of the Maru to assemble in small groups for easier transport on the upper and lower deck,. Warp in to a point about 500 meters above her, clear out the top decks. Warp back out, appear right next to the furthest Kilngon ship, just long enough to blip on their sensors, then warp under the Maru, 500 meters below, clear out the bottom deck. High tail it home.

Think you can handle that, Mr. Sulu? We're all counting on you.

Well, you don't just appear and disappear from their sensors when you leave/enter warp. Having them gather works to some degree, having them gather in their own transporter rooms is better. But the system was designed to keep you from winning. We saw only one version of the scenario being run. I'm willing to bet the system screws you over royally no matter what you try and do.

shrox
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Well, you don't just appear and disappear from their sensors when you leave/enter warp. Having them gather works to some degree, having them gather in their own transporter rooms is better. But the system was designed to keep you from winning. We saw only one version of the scenario being run. I'm willing to bet the system screws you over royally no matter what you try and do.

Are the Maru's transporters down?

Shnoze Shmon
02-09-2012, 05:01 AM
The Klingons violated the treaty by mining the neutral zone. Declare the treaty in abeyance and set course for the nearest Klingon soft target. Annihilate it and ensure the pursuit of a large force of Klingons back across the neutral zone. Head for the nearest concentration of Starfleet ships while broadcasting the approach of a Klingon invasion fleet. As the two sides engage in mass genocide bask in the glow of the fires and the knowledge that, thanks to you, week kneed bureaucrats are no longer trying to appease the klingons.

Finally, make a befitting eulogy to those martyrs on the Kobayashi Maru who were all slaughtered by the first wave of invading klingons. Kill the unexpected survivors that turn up before they can tell a different story.

What do you mean I'll never be allowed to serve on a starship, let alone be a captain! That's not fair!

realgray
02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I believe according to Wrath of Khan there was no ship in distress. It was a trap to lure a Federation ship across. Now in the JJ Abrams version I believe the ship existed. If we are saying it existed then maybe a couple shuttle craft (loaded with torpedoes) could disembark and set collision course to the warships. Making the battle one on one until you beam everyone aboard. But you would have to know ahead that it was a trap. Yep, i've taken this too far. Thanks, Shrox :devil:

safetyman
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Gather the senior crew members together on the bridge, then initiate the self destruct sequence. As soon as the Klingons' sensors detect the ship about to blow, they will high-tail it out of there. Disengage the sequence with about 3 seconds left. Done.

Kionel
02-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Simple: Activate the Omega-13.

:P

Seriously, I don't think it's supposed to be won, no matter what. If it were a real test, in the plan you described (which was nifty, BTW) there would probably be a sub-routine that would either cause your ship to have a warp drive issue after the initial warp-in, thus locking you in combat. Either that, or the "captain" of the freighter would answer your plan with "We have numerous wounded here that we can't move!"

Still, neat idea.

Along those lines, have you tried out the "Artemis Bridge Simulator" yet?

KurtF
02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
the klingons violated the treaty by mining the neutral zone. Declare the treaty in abeyance and set course for the nearest klingon soft target. Annihilate it and ensure the pursuit of a large force of klingons back across the neutral zone. Head for the nearest concentration of starfleet ships while broadcasting the approach of a klingon invasion fleet. As the two sides engage in mass genocide bask in the glow of the fires and the knowledge that, thanks to you, week kneed bureaucrats are no longer trying to appease the klingons.

Finally, make a befitting eulogy to those martyrs on the kobayashi maru who were all slaughtered by the first wave of invading klingons. Kill the unexpected survivors that turn up before they can tell a different story.

what do you mean i'll never be allowed to serve on a starship, let alone be a captain! That's not fair!

roflol!

tischbein3
02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
let the klingons rescue them.

you know... count on the "honor" thing and so....

ahh the beautiful thing of overdetailed universes, wich at one point _will_ contradict itself.

Cryonic
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
let the klingons rescue them.

you know... count on the "honor" thing and so....

ahh the beautiful thing of overdetailed universes, wich at one point _will_ contradict itself.

Rescue the weak? why? It doesn't go against ones honor to let the weak perish.

shrox
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Rescue the weak? why? It doesn't go against ones honor to let the weak perish.

Give them a chance to surrender. As soon as they spout off about some ancestral honor BS, blast them to frak.

Lito
02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Or you could just destroy disabled ship if it existed then maximize shields to engines and weapons, take as many out as you can while activating the self destruct. A few seconds before the self destruct, calculate a circular trajectory that will take you to maximum speed, on a collision course to one of the ships you are fighting. Assuming you can time it right, you should be able to ram the ship at faster than the speed of light, as the explosion from the self destruct takes place. The explosion will be that much more grand and encompassing as the 2 ships join together in a symphony of warp core destruction.

If it's a no win scenario then at least get the most bang for the buck in terms of FX, it's all about eye candy ;).

shrox
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Or you could just destroy disabled ship if it existed then maximize shields to engines and weapons, take as many out as you can while activating the self destruct. A few seconds before the self destruct, calculate a circular trajectory that will take you to maximum speed, on a collision course to one of the ships you are fighting. Assuming you can time it right, you should be able to ram the ship at faster than the speed of light, as the explosion from the self destruct takes place. The explosion will be that much more grand and encompassing as the 2 ships join together in a symphony of warp core destruction.

If it's a no win scenario then at least get the most bang for the buck in terms of FX, it's all about eye candy ;).

Even better, it sounds like a setup for unexpected time travel!

Chris S. (Fez)
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
1) Throw a pre-Kobayashi kegger and command everybody to "hold it".

2) The instant the simulation starts, order the crew to simultaneously pee and/or puke on all panels and hope a short circuit kills the sim.