PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing textures

NigelH
10-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Is there a trick to eliminating the 'buzzing' effect you get from procedural textures used in an animation? I'm working on an animation that contains an object that remains perfectly still for much of the time. The bump map, however, does not. The object has a fractal noise bump map layer that slightly buzzes even though the AA level is set to enhanced medium with no adaptive sampling. Shading noise reduction is checked in the light preferences panel, but the subtle buzzing persists.

Is fractal noise simply the wrong texture to use for animations? The name would seem to suggest that 'buzzing' is what it does best. Might I have better luck with a different procedural?

toby
10-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Interesting, I've never noticed that

You could always apply the procedural to a polygon, render it and use as a map

Polymangler
10-19-2003, 10:58 PM
sounds like what your talking about is referred to as "crawling" and is an inharit problem with over-bumped surfaces in all the 3d world...the fix for it has already be kinda mentioned by NigelH. What you need to do is make either turn down the iterations of the procedual (not always practical), turn down the bump amount till you get rid of that (about 30% usually) or ....make a image out of the procedual using surface baker and blur it in photoshop slightly...

what's happening is there is a sudden contrast between your light and dark areas of you bump...there's no smooth gradiant....so when teh renderer tries to "bump" your surface and alias it (which is basicaly moving the camera slightly) it gets confused cause from one angle a pixal is pure white equalling to make it look raised and then at a slightly different angle the same pixal is black equallying to make it looks ressesed....the result is that jittering your seeing

NigelH
10-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I see what you mean. I took the image map route as Toby suggested. Managed to maintain the same look as with the procedural - only without the 'crawlies'.

Thanks.