PDA

View Full Version : 3D Head Problem

Philly85
02-08-2012, 07:02 AM
I know subpatching isnt an ideal way to build a human head but I got pretty far with this a while ago and need to open it up again because I cannot build a head any other way :(

When I merge the points I have gaps in this model, I have tried merging more points but they either don't merge or when they do I have horrible pinching. If I select the points on their own then I also move them I get pinching too.

Any suggestions?

Sensei
02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
I know subpatching isnt an ideal way to build a human head but I got pretty far with this a while ago and need to open it up again because I cannot build a head any other way :(

You meant rather spline modeling? Because sub-patching is ideal way to build anything organic in fact ;)

When I merge the points I have gaps in this model, I have tried merging more points but they either don't merge or when they do I have horrible pinching. If I select the points on their own then I also move them I get pinching too.

Any suggestions?

You have 3 places where are missing cuts..
And one point where is needed welding.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101571&stc=1&d=1328711196

Nangleator
02-08-2012, 07:54 AM
You ought to invest in William's new book, and Taron's head modeling DVD. Either will vastly improve you as a modeler.

Also, when you run into trouble knitting patches together, feel free to Cut, Connect, Spinquad, and manually build polys. Do whatever it takes, basically.

Philly85
02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Sorry I meant spline lmao.

You got a link for the book and dvd mate?

Thanks Sensei ill give this a try in a bit :D

Philly85
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Fiddled around and fixed it I think :D

Just need to tidy up some bumpy edges then will post an update of the final face.

The back of the head one im hoping welds properly with no gaps when it comes to mirroring.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
No, you just sorta moved your problem around. That six pointed "star" under the eye is going to continue to give you trouble.

Looking back at the original problem, we're only talking TWO RINGS of polys to fix this perfectly: delete the 2 innermost rings of the eye orbit, select the edges of the resulting hole, and use Extend(+Size+Move) a couple times to recreate the orbits properly.

(You could even copy the existing geometry to a background layer to assist in point placement-- it keeps getting easier.)

Or you can do what Sensei said above. Six of one....

Philly85
02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Does give me a problem but accidentally I messed around with the dent in his forhead and looks like an okay job lol.

That picture confused me because i'm pretty much a noob and still getting used to all the controls and terminology, when I cut them things dissapeared and couldnt find the points I was welding to.

Nangleator
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
You got a link for the book and dvd mate?
Book... (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Modeling-William-Vaughan/dp/0321700899/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328721567&sr=8-1) and DVD. (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/339/The-Secrets-of-Organic-Modeling)

Philly85
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks mate. Ahhh I have the DVD, but when I tried to do it like him I ended up with something with alien eyes lol. It looked good but nothing like his unfortunately.

Nangleator
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it's hard to match his skill, even though it's easy to remember all his moves. It's all down to practice. I model that way once or twice a week, to keep in practice.

William's book has a eyesocket-out head modeling tut. It's very specific where it needs to be. The head mesh is a bit more dense than the usual, but that's just added skill, for you. My best ever head came from that tutorial.

Philly85
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah he made things simple for me from it I actually did pretty neat alien type head lol.

Just have to get the number of polys spot on to be able to extrude where he is extruding etc.

This head could be ok for uni because its going in a computer game and won't have any close-ups on it so might be able to get away with it lol.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
My best ever head came from that tutorial.
...will.... not... say... it.... :D

Philly85
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
lmao well spotted synergy!

How on earth do I give him/her eyelids and lips? :(