PDA

View Full Version : Buy new or upgrade

Tony3d
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Would I be better off upgrading my stock dual quad core 2.8 gig 2008 machine's video card to an ATI 5770, and ram, or buying a new Mac Pro 2.4 gig quad core with the ATI 5770.

eblu
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
in my experience when your computer becomes 4-5 years old, you get more ROI buying new, and investing in the ram/drives/graphics up front.

JonW
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Or if you feel inclined build your own!

Mac 10.7.2 X5650 running at 4.0 GHz

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1227850&mpage=2

rsfd
02-08-2012, 03:54 AM
just an addition:
wouldn't buy an actual MacPro (it's more than 1 year old).
Though the future of MacPro seemed a bit uncertain lately, I would guess it's more tied to the actual Xeon production process. The upcoming Xeon cpu will have a better performance as the actual ones. If they will be affordable is a different question…

3DGFXStudios
02-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Don't upgrade. Buy a new Windows PC. The end of mac pro is near ;)

Tony3d
02-08-2012, 07:11 AM

I can hardly believe their going to end the Mac Pro line. I think it's more related to The new batch of processors availability than anything else. I'm confident their will be a new release.

rsfd
02-08-2012, 08:22 AM
3DGFXStudios often shows up just to bash the Mac.
Don't know why, but it seems to make him/them happy.
{It's a bit boring to come back to a thread on which one is involved, just to read such superfluous additions, me thinks :grumpy:}

eblu
02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I remember when Apple discontinued the Ski Boot design. it was all "OMG!!! Apple is ending the professional Mac Line!!!" Well we all know what happened there: Apple did in fact end the pro Mac line, but they replaced it with a platform designed for relevant growth, and the people back then didn't know the whole story. We haven't heard the whole story yet, either.

frankly... I'm not worried.

rsfd has a point though. the Pro line is long overdue for an update. the last one was 511 days, we're now at 561 days... so its reasonable to expect one soon. might be worth it to wait till july (the last update happened in july.) But lately, traditional dates don't mean as much as they used to. Apple has done away with its old product cycles, and says it will release things 'when they are ready.'

when the hexacores came out I was expecting a new enclosure, but it didn't materialize. the rumors back then spoke of something Thin, and surprising. Most came to believe that Apple somehow subdivided the inner workings of the machine... say: the processor, and the expansion bays, into two separate units. Maybe they will hit us with that now. Seems like thunderBolt would enable this tech very well.

JonW
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
rsfd has a point though. the Pro line is long overdue for an update. the last one was 511 days, we're now at 561 days... so its reasonable to expect one soon. might be worth it to wait till july (the last update happened in july.) But lately, traditional dates don't mean as much as they used to. Apple has done away with its old product cycles, and says it will release things 'when they are ready.'

If you don't have any absolute critical urgency for a job now, I would also wait for a few more months. The new CPUs are just around the corner & Apple does seem to get an early bite at these.

A new box will cost more but it will give you a larger stepping stone for the next few years.

Tony3d
02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
I can wait. So I'll see where we are in a couple months.

3DGFXStudios
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
3DGFXStudios often shows up just to bash the Mac.
Don't know why, but it seems to make him/them happy.
{It's a bit boring to come back to a thread on which one is involved, just to read such superfluous additions, me thinks :grumpy:}

Haha you don't know what under my desk than. A Nice and shiny mac pro! :thumbsup:
Haven't you heard the rumors that of the mac pro line ending?
It's just my opinion but I don't think it's wise to buy a mac pro now and it's not only based on the rumors but it more that there are no new Nvidia videocards for mac. With all software developers using the CUDA stuff from Nvidia it wouldn't make any sense to buy a system without the CUDA support. Just try to simulate a smoke simulation with the turbulence plugin. It is at least twice as fast as on my 8Core mac pro with an geforce 285gtx. And our grading set is also using CUDA's on mac.........

So I'm not bashing the mac, that would be crazy. I got to many mac's to do that ;)

rsfd
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
well, then I wonder why you so often suggest to people to buy a PC…
(Pure 3D artists/studios will hardly buy Macs I would guess. This branch is just too Windows dominated).

anyway, I'm pretty well informed about news and rumours regarding especially Apple's professional product line.
That's why I don't think, Apple will drop the MacPro. Probably in its current form, but not completely.
There are hints towards a new design with a smaller form factor (better rack compatibility), support for latest ATI graphics ("Tahiti") in Lion indicates an upcoming tower computer and the delay seems more bound to Intel's delay with the new Xeon cpu.
Personally, I'm not keen on CUDA. And I've got at least two reasons for this:
Nvidia drivers on OSX were (in my own experience) pretty crappy mostly. (On Windows too, lately). And I prefer the use of open architectures, as OpenCL would allow.
If Nvidia gets a supremacy with CUDA, they will be able to extort users in the future.
But that's just my personal opinion…

3DGFXStudios
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
well, then I wonder why you so often suggest to people to buy a PC…
(Pure 3D artists/studios will hardly buy Macs I would guess. This branch is just too Windows dominated).

anyway, I'm pretty well informed about news and rumours regarding especially Apple's professional product line.
That's why I don't think, Apple will drop the MacPro. Probably in its current form, but not completely.
There are hints towards a new design with a smaller form factor (better rack compatibility), support for latest ATI graphics ("Tahiti") in Lion indicates an upcoming tower computer and the delay seems more bound to Intel's delay with the new Xeon cpu.
Personally, I'm not keen on CUDA. And I've got at least two reasons for this:
Nvidia drivers on OSX were (in my own experience) pretty crappy mostly. (On Windows too, lately). And I prefer the use of open architectures, as OpenCL would allow.
If Nvidia gets a supremacy with CUDA, they will be able to extort users in the future.
But that's just my personal opinion…

Oha yes I'm a Pure 3D artist that does some compositing with fusion and that's windows only....

Well I recommend people to buy a winPC because Lightwave runs better on windows than on mac. There where some really annoying bugs in the mac version like the menu selection stuff hanging (I mean those popup menu's) and the numeric "keypad enter bug" that it didn't jump to the next input field. Also the plugin support is a little less. Often plugins that are windows only. With Mac only plugins I'm not familiar.
Just little differences but in a professional production environment you want the best ;)

An other thing is network rendering. If you have a farm running cheap windows nodes you ideally want them to work together. Not all network render controllers provide this functionality. BNR works but I've to say it's really a pain in the *** to setup. If you update your application to for example LW11 you have to do it twice and on a mac you can't install it on a network drive so you have to configure every mac workstation or node by hand.

What I said.... All small things (except from the CUDA support which is a big thing imo) but it makes me want a PC again.

But I've to say there isn't a PC that build as good as a mac. I really like the Box it comes in. It's like lego. And who doesn't like lego? :thumbsup:

The new AE that's comming out has also CUDA support. Adobe premiere already has support. Check this out. I wouldn't want to miss this ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PCEeiCuME

JonW
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
PC boxes have a practical & elegant design being black. When you see dust all over the front panels they are telling you it's time to vacuum. Your heatsinks don't get full of dust as quickly & as a result run more efficiently.

Scazzino
02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
They may have run into heat issues with the Sandy Bridge and may instead jump ahead to the Ivy Bridge instead for the 16 core (2x8).

Apple Is Close to Finally Updating The Mac Pro
http://micgadget.com/21980/apple-is-close-to-finally-updating-the-mac-pro/

If you still need to run any PPC software though any new Macs will be Lion only and won't run Rosetta. So if you still need any PPC software running, Apple often has high end refurbished systems available, though they usually sell within the day they are posted. Any of the current Mac Pros will still run Snow Leopard if you need older PPC software (and have Snow Leopard), even though they come preconfigured with Lion.

Apple Refurbished Mac Pros
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Oh, and the listed specs are just the baseline. I ordered a refurbed 12-core and it came with more RAM and an upgraded ATI Radeon HD 5870 even though the specs listed the baseline specs. They come with whatever was in them when they were refurbed, even if that's above the baseline specs.

3DGFXStudios
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh that's some good news! :)

JonW
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Apple Switching Back to NVIDIA Graphics for Upcoming Mac Pro Update?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/14/apple-switching-back-to-nvidia-graphics-for-upcoming-mac-pro-update/

Tony3d
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Installed the 5870 in my sons Mac Pro. What a difference. I think I'm going for the 12 core 2.66 machine, with the ATI 5870. I think this will be fast enought for the type product work I do.