PDA

View Full Version : school exterior

otacon
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Few renderings just finished up here at work. Addition for an optometry school. Lots of concrete. Any comments welcome.

Tartiflette
02-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Great renders as always, jason !
You have a great sense of getting the right mood in each of your work, and it shows again in those 2, congrats. :)
Although the building isn't that appealing, the renders are just cool, i like them !

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

otacon
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks. I agree the building is pretty boring. I'd love to work on more interesting designs.

fazi69
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Excellent work. Can I be a smartypants for one moment ?
I don`t know if this will not collide with plans or something but when I make some arch viz I always try to break long ideal computer lines. For example if architect have nothing against I will add some small detail. In case of Your building I will try to make this wall elements as a separate blocks or simulate this little gaps with some other method. Also fake color gradation and color aberration helps when we want to sell it to the client :-) ( not always, few my clients liked "CGI look" more and if they pay for less work I just can`t say no ;)

otacon
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I agree about modeling the concrete blocks. That would have added a lot of realism, especially at the edges...sometimes you have a time crunch.

I hear you about chromatic abberation, but i've decided to stay away from it in my work. I feel like it's a fad right now, and is over used in the arch viz world. Good professional photography has little to no CA artifacts...only the cheap lenses.

JonW
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I like the renders! Maybe a few panels with irregularities but that's purely personal preference.

I also feel a lot of CA is overdone. Attached is a crop from a Canon 14mm mk2 without any extra filter to remove the blue CA next to the white surfaces, I always shoot RAW & do those minor adjustments at the start. Once printed out at A3 you really don't see any CA anyway.

djwaterman
02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I always love to see archvis in LW forums. Love love love your website. Is it a Folio HD one or something else? Anyway, the school looks real to me.

JonW, I'm trying to work out what street that is, looks familiar but then it could be just about anywhere. Don't tell me.

archijam
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Really like the images.

In terms of mood, though, I would say they look a little empty. Actually this suits the architecture, but for example I would imagine it's Sunday and the school is closed ;) .. perhaps one or two more elements would bring more activity into the image.

biliousfrog
02-08-2012, 04:06 AM
What always strikes me most about your work is how well the people fit into the scene, that is an art unto itself and something I really struggle with at times, especially when the client wants specific ethnicities, ages and genders and all my images have the wrong lighting for the scene :rolleyes:

I like the renders, they have a nice photographic quality with darkened, polarised skies. I'm not a fan of tilt-shift style verticals but that's what most arch-vis clients are used to and it works well on this building.

As for chromatic aberrations, that's something I occasionally use sparingly when matching crappy photographs supplied by the client but I'll usually attempt to remove them from the photos first. I can't see the point in making a great image look like a terrible photo. I certainly wouldn't add any to my own photographs, if I wanted colour fringing I'd have saved myself thousands of pounds and bought budget lenses.

Creativetone
02-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Very nice work, otacon!

I really hope that you get to work on more interesting designs. :)
You have so amazing works in your portfolio gallery.

otacon
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys. My site isn't HD folio, I had a girl at work create it for me...not sure what it is. I just wanted to keep it simple and focus on the work. Glad you all like it.

I agree, I think some more activity might help the images. Adding people always takes some time since you have to find ones that match the lighting and fit the scene. I like to add a little motion blur to them. I think it helps blend them in a bit better.

I have to take these images down until the end of the month. I didn't realize, but the school hasn't unveiled the new design yet.

Tartiflette
02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
I have to take these images down until the end of the month. I didn't realize, but the school hasn't unveiled the new design yet.
He he, good one, sometimes we forget that there was a client asking for our work ! ;)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

P.S. : i think you might ask Steve Bowie (http://forums.newtek.com/member.php?u=101) to remove the attachment done by Fazi69 if you want the renders not to appear before the unveiling of the new school design... :)

mis
02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
otacon

i might have said it before but just wend through your cgi gallery again today
and uhmmmmm

i admire your style and detail
your so inspirational i cannot say it with words.

seriously

i love your work

otacon
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks man. Glad you like. :)