PDA

View Full Version : Is 'The Artist' best film of the year?

djwaterman
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Not really CG related in anyway, but it blew me away and I feel it needs discussion. Just in terms of story telling, composition, lighting, use of sound, casting, inventive film-making, can any film be more deserving of it's hype than 'The Artist'? Anyone see it? Love it? Hate it?

There are certain films in your life that just hit you differently to anything else and they stay with you and become important inside your head, everyone has their own list, this one just made that list for me. I love it when something comes along and reminds me of why I ever loved this stupid medium in the first place.

souzou
02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Loved it, best film I've seen for a while. Also loved The Tree of Life. Hopefully one of those will pick up the Best Film oscar.

realgray
02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Can't wait to see the Artist. I really loved Hugo as well.

colkai
02-08-2012, 03:43 AM
I always wonder, when you see adverts saying something is "the best film of the year" and it's only February, isn't that a tad premature? :p

souzou
02-08-2012, 05:38 AM
I always wonder, when you see adverts saying something is "the best film of the year" and it's only February, isn't that a tad premature? :p

Heh, technically it was released at the end of last year (Nov in the US and er, 30th December in the UK). I guess "the best film of last year!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it though... :D

bobakabob
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Refreshing film with great performances and vibrant cinematography. The editing could maybe have been a little sharper in the latter part of the film but it feels churlish to criticise something so brave and original. Anyone interested in visuals and storytelling should see this.

gerry_g
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
If you think Jean Dujardin is someone new you should check out 'OSS117 Cairo Nest of Spies' this was made in 2008 and is a cheesy spy spoof somewhere between Bond and Get Smart, the main gag still cracks me up even now when I think about it, dudes totally underrated

djwaterman
02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Yep, it's official. The best film of the year.

wrench
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Went to see it tonight - it's been on at our cinema for 20 weeks now and tonight was packed, presumably because of the Oscars last night. Jean Dujardin does the same as he does in all the films I've seen him in, but even so there's definitely something to it for a film with no dialogue or sound (largely) to engage you for its whole running time. I'd give it 3/5.

B

Titus
02-28-2012, 07:26 AM
It's a good movie. A good Americanized French movie. I had a good moment at the theater, remembering my film school classes.

Iain
02-29-2012, 02:44 AM
The prospect of making this film must have been terrifying so hats off to everyone involved for doing it in the first place and doing it so well.

Its great to see breaks from formula. As much as I enjoy most cinema offerings, there are precious few things that stay in my memory after leaving the theatre these days.