PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get old displacement working in LW11

Sarford
02-07-2012, 04:53 AM
It is like the thread title says, seems I can't get the old way of displacing working anymore in LW11. Is there something I'm not seeing, or doing wrong?

RebelHill
02-07-2012, 06:10 AM
works fine for me.

i notice uve also got enable bump on, is it possible uve got hooked up in surface displace in one and not the other, and its that effect that ur seeing... or maybe uve got different subD levels set, perhaps.

3DGFXStudios
02-07-2012, 07:26 AM
I think you pressed the wrong button. The old displacement is under the T button not the enable bumps.

RebelHill
02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
interestingly now that 11 has the nodal procedural u can also do this displacment nodally via the T button, letting u do it the new way, the old way.

3DGFXStudios
02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
interestingly now that 11 has the nodal procedural u can also do this displacment nodally via the T button, letting u do it the new way, the old way.

Haha yea and use the old layering system in that procedural node editor :D

Sarford
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. These are same scenes with same models, both have 30 subD levels at rendering, no displacement nodes in the surface, same nodes and settings in the displacement tab.
Bump is on cause that is what GoZ does, so I replicated that in this scene, on or off doesn't make a difference.
I'll be home in a couple of hours, I'll try again then.

Cheers, Simon

Sarford
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Found the problem, MipMap quality was set to high, once set to off everything was fine.

Thanks for the help Rebel and 3DGFXStudios!

bobakabob
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Found the problem, MipMap quality was set to high, once set to off everything was fine.

Thanks for the help Rebel and 3DGFXStudios!

Any reason the Mipmap setting should have affected displacement in this way? What exactly does this do... Can anyone explain in plain English?

Dodgy
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I think in 11 the default mipmapping type is set to AA instead of Softness, whereas before the default was softness. Displacement doesn't work with AA mipmapping, only softness, presumably because of the way they're evaluated.