PDA

View Full Version : Import / Export for Open Flight - Plug-in.

dglenn
10-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Maybe someone has done this, but it would be nice if someone would write a plug-in to Import and Export in the Open Flight format. This is something that Maya and 3D Studio Max already does, so I think it would be possible for LightWave.

Note: I have tried some of those exporting programs with very limited (if any) success.

dglenn
10-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Maybe I should point out that if I had this plug-in that I could make an argument to one of my main clients (the U.S. ARMY) to buy lightwave. Right now I have to do a hack to export a model to Open Flight. It is such a hack that I can't, in my right mind, make a case for using Lightwave in the ARMY sim labs.

Hay Guys! I'm trying to get you some business here!

Exper
10-30-2003, 07:14 AM
NT was not assiduous about Import/Export in the past!

Hoping the new development team will soon fill this fault with more and better Import/Export features/formats!

Bye.

Lamont
11-01-2003, 08:14 PM
DGlenn,

I've dealt with geospecific data a lot over the past year(s), and yes a Open Flight plug-in would be tops. But the problem with OpenFlight format is that there are a few versions out there.

I use 3DS Max and I have to jump through the format hoop for geo-data, and we have a Erdas Pro at our disposal. :D

Even the programs who import OpenFlight can't import ALL of them.

And I just happen to be good friends with someone who has written a commercial OpenFlight plugin... If I get a good response, I will ask him if he can do this.

dglenn
11-02-2003, 08:00 AM
Well, all I ask is to get into the ball park. Just so I can bring it up in Creator in the same shape and size would be nice.

I know that we are talking apples and oranges here, but I can't see why Light-wave shouldn't have Open Flight porting. I'm not trying to use it to build terrain. I think the biggest thing I would make is a MES building. Besides, it's easier to train people in Light-wave than Max and Maya for basic modeling.

Lamont
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey DGlenn,

If you can, please round up as many people who would want this plugin. So far it's just two people (and kinda me too ;) ) who want this, and I can't have him make this plug-in just for us.

Have them post here, or send me an e-mail with the subject OpenFlight. They don't have to say anything.

Or I may just have him make the plugin, it will be there for those who want it... but commercial. OpenFlight and other GIS formats are cake to him.

fortress
11-13-2003, 01:58 AM
i would love to see this as well as better unreal and hl1 and hl2 support

better yet every big format out there :)

i really hate having to try to use programs like deep exploration or polytrans they never really seem to get the job done right :)

Lamont
11-13-2003, 09:00 AM
So far it's only 3 people who have replied. The initial cost of this is going to come out of my pocket, so I need more people interested.

dglenn
11-13-2003, 10:06 PM
I guess that if worse comes to worse, I'll have to make it! I already have the multigen DLL that I need.

Lamont
11-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I am still going over in my head if to have him do this or not. I am sure there are more people interested in GIS than just us... ;)

I try to have a decision Monday morning...:confused:

marko
12-04-2003, 01:52 AM
they did it for max

http://www.bluerock.com/products.html

Lamont
12-04-2003, 02:06 AM
Yeah, he's been asked to go ahead and spec out features besides just importing the data. And I don't know if they have it in here, but there are times when you have to do some serious alignment with the image data and the geometry.

I've heard of these guys.

Regardless, this is a huge undertaking for one programmer. We both want to do it, and I am sure we are. He has a friend who can help out so.

But yeah, EIRDAS is like much more exspensive than 3DS Max and Lightwave, so I would like to see a cheaper alternative for common folk.

He's working on a few custom objects/animation tools for Lightwave that are kinda needed, after than it's the OpenFlight and SHP files (contour data).

RAIVAIN
09-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I have finally succeeded in getting LightWave as primary developing software the US Army, however, having that import/export feature in LightWave to convert directly to OpenFlight would be EXTREMELY helpful since I too have to formulate my concoction of software to get the simulations working... such a pain!

RAIVAIN
09-07-2007, 02:57 PM
dglenn, Lamont, and anyone else I might have missed

The converter would definitely keep my sanity long enough to have a decent retirement in a few decades... You have my vote for making it happen.

P.S. Correction to the previous post: I was able to convince the Branch of the Army that I work for to use LightWave, but most of their stuff in in OpenFlight.

Raivain,

Computer Scientist