PDA

View Full Version : FiberMesh to Splines Plugin

rcallicotte
02-06-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.mariussilaghi.com/fibermeshsplinesstanalone.htm

Anyone think this might work? It could be happy awesomeness, if so.

Boris Goreta
02-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Check this out:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1216514#post1216514

it is not a plugin but a step by step walkthrough on how to do it with native LW tools.

rcallicotte
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks Boris. I saw your link before and hadn't taken the time to try it...planning on it, though.

It's great to know this is possible in Lightwave. COOL!

Boris Goreta
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
And it is pretty easy too, the video is long because it shows how to create hair and how to move objects from ZBrush to LW and back but the part with converting fiber mesh to guides takes 10 seconds when you learn how to do it.

rcallicotte
02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Not entirely off-topic, but this is FiberMesh to DAZ's Genesis character - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZVjw-DaSg&list=UUY7ywI1xsB5ekLPViocLdnQ&index=1&feature=plcp

This might bring possibilities of character creation with hair into LW; what would be the possibilities of using your method then, though? Might the FiberMesh need to be brought directly into LW instead of going into DAZ Studio first and then into LW?

Boris Goreta
02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Nobody wants to watch through my video. I've really put an effort into it.

Basically this is what you do:

1. In ZBrush model the haircut and convert it to subtool
2. In ZBrush create UVs for the haircut using fiberUV method
3. Hit GoZ to export it to LW Modeler
4. Go to UV Map view and select all the points on one side (left or right ) and delete them
5. Select all the points on the top and use (points to poly) command to make 1 point polygons
6. Assign a different surface to those polygons ( surface name "root" for ecample )

you're ready to use the guides now with sasquatch
for FiberFX there is a command to convert those guides for use with FiberFX

rcallicotte
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I saved your video to my computer. I will watch it - no worries! Thanks so much for it. And this help here is over the top - thank you!

Basically this is what you do:

1. In ZBrush model the haircut and convert it to subtool
2. In ZBrush create UVs for the haircut using fiberUV method
3. Hit GoZ to export it to LW Modeler
4. Go to UV Map view and select all the points on one side (left or right ) and delete them
5. Select all the points on the top and use (points to poly) command to make 1 point polygons
6. Assign a different surface to those polygons ( surface name "root" for ecample )

you're ready to use the guides now with sasquatch
for FiberFX there is a command to convert those guides for use with FiberFX

stiff paper
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Nobody wants to watch through my video.

Oof! Boris! I don't know if you're being serious there, but to reassure you: I've watched your video and I'm sure plenty of other people have too. It was very useful, informative, and good. And thanks for taking the trouble to make it.

Ernest
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Oof! Boris! I don't know if you're being serious there, but to reassure you: I've watched your video and I'm sure plenty of other people have too. It was very useful, informative, and good. And thanks for taking the trouble to make it.

Yes, they say that satisfied customers are usually quieter and that's true in this case. I enjoyed every minute of the video and, instead of saying thanks, I rushed straight to trying and applying it.

I think I did the same thing to Greenlaw.

Boris Goreta
02-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Feeling better already :D

jwiede
02-08-2012, 03:27 AM
I actually thought it was quite good, and fairly clear right up to the point where you converted the fibremesh geometry from curves into whatever. However, the version I downloaded had no sound, and since you apparently used a keystroke shortcut (without any visual indication of which) in Modeler after loading the fibremesh UV map to convert the curves into whatever, I had no clue what you'd actually done.

Was there supposed to be sound? There wasn't in the version at the link provided (the 36Mb mp4 download), and without some idea of what commands you're issuing in Modeler while working on the fibremesh geometry, it becomes impossible to follow from there. Perhaps turn on the option to capture and provide captions of what keystrokes are typed (if one exists in your screen caption software, most like Camtasia offer it), so we can better tell what's going on?

(edit) Ah, never mind, I figured out you'd turned off sub-d's on the fibremesh geometry (I think), and then deleted the points as mentioned. Sorry, it really looked like you were doing something more involved prior to deleting the points (right after 5:31 in the video), so until I realized what you'd done (hit TAB I think), I had no idea how to proceed to the deletion. Something that showed what keys you were pressing would have been very helpful there, no question.

In any case, as I said, except for that one hiccup, the rest of the video is quite clear, thanks much for making and posting it!

prometheus
02-08-2012, 05:03 AM
FiberFX

Thanks very much for this, I understand you put some effeort in it, I myself downloaded and watched it a bit, and I just couldnīt deal with it when it was without sound narration and quite fast etc, when thereīs two different programs to cover with linking and why you need to do something, Then I think sound narration is essential.

Thatīs why I havenīt watched this thorougly.

Thanks anyway for your effort in this since no one else has made a better video cover of it.

Michael

moussepipi2000
02-15-2012, 01:57 AM
tried it with fiber fx but i cant get it work correctly. i cant also find the command that boris said in the previous post

what is this command please?

akademus
02-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Thats very informative. I think having Fiber UVs like those can work greatly for grass and stuff.

Hvala Borise!

The Dommo
02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Poor Boris.... :cursin: