PDA

View Full Version : RealFlow 2013, video previews

erikals
02-06-2012, 07:57 AM
http://vimeo.com/35504167

good simulation time...

 

50one
02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I think they started to feel the pressure from the Naiad guys. Competition in this field is a good thing.

erikals
02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
oh,... didn't know it was for sale :]
http://www.exoticmatter.com/buy-naiad-ds/

looks great, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzozqSMtrnY
is Naiad near real time simulation?

 

50one
02-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I've only seen few videos from naiad and from what I've seen I was impressed, it looks more advanced, but can't tell if it's real time or pre-computable solver.

Intuition
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, Naiad is definitely a prosumer tool at the moment.

I mean, the UI itself is pretty neat. Kind of a houdini, realflow hybrid.

But the size of the actual data that you will be moving around if you want to do some of the really neat large scenes you've seen will definitely be on a linux setup probably porting over to linux Maya or Houdini. Renderman, Arnold, or Vray for meshes, and we used Krakatoa for the splashes (Yes, we have Krakatoa for Maya, used on the latest Darkness 2 trailer, very beta but works well)

Krakatoa for maya in use here. --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGssBUlfHqI

We did some work with Naiad on a GOW trailer and it was not something I would attempt to do as a freelancer. I've done plenty of work in RF at home in Lightwave, Maya, Max, and even a few tests in Softimage during the Vray beta early days.

Here is the GOW trailer, the Naiad work is the flood coming down the path before they reach the stairs. Was a mix of Mesh sequence and particles all data that Naiad puts out together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCOnHRiYMC0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8AB7FF6EA9DA5ACA

But Naiad is currently something you will want a TD around for. I don't know of a way to get the data into LW at the moment. I suppose you could write a tool to convert Bgeo sequences to OBJ sequences and then load those into LW. As far as the particle splash data I would imagine converting the data to .prt files. Since I haven't used LW regularly since the 9 days I am not sure what the current status of LW's particle count capabilities are.

I would say that RF is still a solid tool (even if next limit has its wonky way of making UIs) for use with LW in the freelance market. A little art directing and smart scene setup (many sectioned/layered high detail sims as opposed to one huge sim) to get the large and small power stuff together. RF2013 looks to extend that capability well. Nextlimit have always supported LW pretty good too. :bday:

What is LW current particle count/usage these days?

Cageman
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
What is LW current particle count/usage these days?

1 million / emitter...

That said.... I've seen a Physics based sim in LW (more of a proof of concept rather than a finished product) simulating about 1.6 million particles with a framerate of 2 fps or something like that. Can't remember the details...

So... LWs native particlesystem is pretty much the same it was back in the 9 day...

:)

erikals
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
edit: i read LW11 supports more particles.

Cageman
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
i read LW11 supports more particles, think the guy tested it with 45mill particles.
not sure what the limit is.

Add 45 emitters and you can have 1 million / emitter... I havn't heard anything about the particlelimit being changed... but I could of course be wrong though.

:)

erikals
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
maybe i was wrong, 16 mill points...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1217009&postcount=23

 

Andrewstopheles
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I tried this out. I can get 10 million particles (probably more, that's where I stopped testing).
Unfortunately any attempt to attach Hypervoxels and render resulted in exceeding my 8gb memory limit. I suspect you need to scale your available memory up drastically to render that many Hypervoxels this way.
I was able to get a healthy 3 million particles (with Hypervoxels applied) to render, using almost 6bg or ram. Pretty sure 4 million would require too much memory.
Bottom line: Layout 11 appears to be able to handle higher particle counts if you have sufficient RAM.

EDIT: Removed Screenshots, as I believe they might be frowned upon by the forum mods.

EDIT: Just tried 4 million and it didn't quite break my machine; hit 99% memory usage but crawled back down to 94% whilst rendering.

BTW - My system is nothing special.
Win 7 64 bit
8GB Ram
GeForce 9800 GTX+

jasonwestmas
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah it's more of an issue of being able to render out that many hypervoxels than anything. They are slow as. . .well you know.

tischbein3
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
But Naiad is currently something you will want a TD around for. I don't know of a way to get the data into LW at the moment. I suppose you could write a tool to convert Bgeo sequences to OBJ sequences and then load those into LW. As far as the particle splash data I would imagine converting the data to .prt files. Since I haven't used LW regularly since the 9 days I am not sure what the current status of LW's particle count capabilities are.

Well I _could_ rewrite the blender fluid importer in a relative short period of time, if I do have the specs (especially particle data format) at hand. (afaik bgeo is well documented on the net)

But then again, how many lw users would actually sponsor such a development ?

chris

50one
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Tenner in!

jasonwestmas
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Well I _could_ rewrite the blender fluid importer in a relative short period of time, if I do have the specs (especially particle data format) at hand. (afaik bgeo is well documented on the net)

But then again, how many lw users would actually sponsor such a development ?

chris

And render it what, Surface HV? I think that'd take too long to render. . .and it would still look like yogurt.

tischbein3
02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
And render it what, Surface HV? I think that'd take too long to render. . .and it would still look like yogurt.

Well no naiad at hand, but as intuition described, and judging from the the trailer it would be (also) rendered out as a mesh sequence / hv-sprites combo, heavily tweaked by speed and particle age.

jasonwestmas
02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Well no naiad at hand, but as intuition described, and judging from the the trailer it would be (also) rendered out as a mesh sequence / hv-sprites combo, heavily tweaked by speed and particle age.

If the cloud could be converted into a solid mesh then it'd it would look ok. Sprites are ok too but don't they tend to look like a vapor-like substance?