PDA

View Full Version : Help with lewis tutorial

Leprechaun
10-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Ive been trying this tutorial for a while. Ive done the bezier stuff but when i go to make the patches it doesnt work. I try to do everything it says in the tutorial like welding and selecting the right way, But it still doesnt make my patch. Can someone make a patch of the side door and post it and show exactly what to do? IF anyone has spare time.
thanks

Leprechaun
10-19-2003, 12:11 PM
here is a pic of what i did, Ive been able to make patches if i jsut do that area, but when i do the whole car in bezier i cant patch right.

hrgiger
10-19-2003, 01:08 PM
This isn't following Lewis's door background, just a quick mock up.

hrgiger
10-19-2003, 01:16 PM
There are just some simple rules you have to follow to get spline patching to work.

1. Select your points that will make up your spline and hit ctrl-p. You now have your spline.

2. The area to be patched must be surrounded by 3 or 4 splines which MUST be connected at each where they meet. For Lewis car tutorial and most other things, you will be using 4 splines per patched area.

3. To make the spline patch, select the splines in a clockwise fashion. They MUST be selected in order. Once your 4 splines are selected, go to the Multiply tab, Patches, Make spline patch. The Dialog will come up asking you how many polygons you want for Perpendicular and how many for Parallel. Try to follow Lewis's guidelines as far as how many you'll need. But for a general rule, the minimum number of polygons to make your shape. It will also ask you if you want Length or knots. Length will even space out your polys along the spline cage. Knots will try and follow the number of points in your splines. For the most part I use Length. Occasionally, depending on how my polys are laid out. Hit OK.

Leprechaun
10-19-2003, 01:16 PM
suppose you made 3 spline( in red) would u weld the two points together to get the 4th? Or would u make another spline that comes within a few cm's of the starting point and then weld those two points? I think i have it figured out.

Leprechaun
10-19-2003, 01:17 PM
suppose you made 3 splines( in red) would u weld the two points together to get the 4th? Or would u make another spline that comes within a few cm's of the starting point and then weld those two points? I think i have it figured out.

hrgiger
10-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Welding points together does not make another spline. You have to add more points and actually make another spline.

hrgiger
10-19-2003, 01:22 PM
I just saw you posted the picture in your second post, you would need that 4th spline that runs along the bottom of the door for that to work.

Don't forget that you can always kill a spline, leaving behind the points and then select them to make a new spline where you need to. You will need to do this occasionally in Lewi's tutorials. You sometimes have to build the spline cages in the process of building your mesh object.

Leprechaun
10-19-2003, 01:23 PM
i just got confused when in the tutorial it says weld together splines that intersect eachother. When i did this it deformed my splines becasue i couldnt get the points right over each other. I think i have it now, instead of drawing the whole cage at once and then patching, im gonna do it section by section.
thanks for teh help

prospector
10-20-2003, 08:28 PM
WOW !!
Just downloaded tut as PDF
1078 Pages and 99.1 megs

I think Lewis builds more cars than GM:D

ELinder
10-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Is there some reason you don't go to http://www.lwg3d.com and ask Lewis himself if you have problems? There's a whole thread of people doing his tutorial and asking questions. He's very helpfull and there's lots of people to help out there.