PDA

View Full Version : Sub D modeling problem

sublimationman
02-04-2012, 12:34 AM
OK so I thought I knew how to do this but I am having one of those moments where I say what the heck, this should be simple but it's not working.

An easy description of what I am trying to do is make an etch-a-sketch type box with an inset screen on the front.

So I make the box and bandsaw pro all the sides so it will have nice rounded edges but still be a box. What I can't seem to figure out is how to inset the screen area. Everything I do ends up with an oval or round screen instead.

I swear I have done this a hundred times in the past but right now the method eludes me,

Any help?

Sensei
02-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Well, normally people divide sub-patches enough to have hard edge. Division must be very very close to other to simulate hard edge. But easy way is using Sub-D Weight/Edge Weight.

sublimationman
02-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Just figured it out. New I was missing something simple, I had cut enough edges but only inset the very center ones. Needed to select another level before the inset.

Duh!

probiner
02-04-2012, 12:49 AM
edited, because you solved it :D

fazi69
02-04-2012, 06:32 AM
I will recommend You to use additional geometry to make SUB-D sharp edges and not Weight Maps for simple reason : It is easier to export that kind of models properly to other formats.