PDA

View Full Version : What drew you to Lightwave?

GandB
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I'd like to take a step back from all the negativity (which I've been party to....sorry about that) for a bit. So please keep all negative (ie., LW11/CORE/etc.) thoughts and conversations to the other threads, and I will do the same.

I was just wondering, in addition to what brought you to work/dabble in CGI; what brought everyone to use Lightwave to begin with, and with what version did you start off?

Myself; I started in LW 8, soon after getting 9. I have an interest in Game Development; but what really got me looking into it, was the Stargate Series. The Ships and the City of Atlantis, just really wowed me. The quality of the work was/is on par with major movie productions. The Community (though we continue to have our ups and downs at times) is also another great thing about Lightwave.

BigHache
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Price. I first tasted 5.5 on the Mac.

El Tostador
02-03-2012, 03:58 PM
"What drew you to Lightwave?"

Kiki Stockhammer...

and the Video Toaster of course!

Dexter2999
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Babylon 5 and the pricepoint. Back then 3D software was commonly $5K and only for SGI machines.

JonW
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Started with LW6.5 because it worked on a Mac. I think about AU$4200

Still got the Mac, 533 MHz Dual CPU, 1.5 GB ram (maximum). Now it has 3 x 250 GB HD, but due to the system it can only use the first 128 GB on each HD (I could swap the CD for a fourth HD).

Benchmark: 3dspeed Teapots

2 x W5580: 63 seconds
2 x 533 MHz: 1 hour & 10 seconds (3610 seconds). (I had to set up the scene with all viewports off & render as F10 otherwise LW crashed). Put a new clock battery in it recently.

El Tostador
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
This was the version I started with:

It was a Revolution! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seznQmDp2pU) :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/RidgeMBD/lightwave.png (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seznQmDp2pU)

Wade
02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
It was the work i saw done with it and the price - something like 995.00 for a student version - I think this was back in the 6.0 days.
And at the time Houston Community College offered two class in 3D and Lightwave was the program used.

But the biggest factor if I can remember correctly was the price as I was not sure that I would be able to learn it or stick with it 3D so 3,600 or more for some other program was too much to chance.

All is all it has worded out well. I guess I have saved 10,000 over the last 12 or more years. And it opened a whole new area of work possibilities that have paid off nicely as well.

probiner
02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
The classroom.
So I could have gone another way :D But my teacher hated Max at the time and had great esteeme for LW (amiga nerd).

jasonwestmas
02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Price for Lightwave 7.0 was $2,200 or something like that. I couldn't afford Max even though most of the jobs 10 years ago were looking for max users and still are unfortunately. LW just had more for the money at the time and I wanted to learn CG. There were also quite a few good books out there by Timothy Albee and friends.

Matt
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Knowing it was used on Babylon 5 / SeaQuest DSV on the Amiga.

Then, I just clicked with it's workflow better.

shrox
02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
You could say 3DMax drove me to Lightwave.

1995, I really liked 3D Studio, and I was asked to be a beta tester for Max. At the same time, Amblin Studios gave me a DEC/Alpha with Lightwave 4.? to learn with. I hated Max, loved Lightwave. This was during Voyager and SeaQuest, and California was still the Promised Land...

stiff paper
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I'd been using the original 3D Studio r3 (note: not Max) at work for six months. I was fine with it, but at the same time I couldn't help but curse it for being such a horror, and when it came right down to it, being so absolutely, irredeemably, indefensibly moronic and badly thought out when it came to modeling. I mean, it was just a stupid piece of software.

Somebody at work offered to sell me their copy of LW 4 for $400. Babylon 5 had started on TV. So I paid the $400. I didn't even install it for six months. In fact I'd changed jobs, moved 500 miles away, and LW 5 had come out before I'd even installed my copy of LW 4, so eventually I upgraded my copy and finally installed it.

At work, by that point, we had five seats of Alias/PowerAnimator/whatever and the SGI boxes that you had to have to run it on. Together that lot had cost the company $550,000. No render nodes. Abjectly terrible render engine. Unbearably slow. Somebody please kill-me-now modeling. At one point we decided to put some more ram in one of the SGIs to see if it improved the speed problem. You had to buy ram from SGI or you'd invalidate your warranty. SGI wanted $2500 for the ram because it was "Special SGI ram". We decided to go to the local shop, where we spent $300 and got "normal" ram that worked perfectly.

I read the LW manuals in the evenings while I was eating. And then, after a couple of weeks of that I fired up Modeler and started to model something. It's hard to explain now, in 2012, just how much of a revelation Modeler was back then. It was... I don't know... I suppose it was glorious. That's probably the right word. Glorious. Everything made sense. You could mirror something across an axis and the two halves would actually join together properly. Every tool did exactly what you thought it would do, and better than that, it did it exactly how you'd have made it do it if you'd designed it yourself. It was an object lesson in how to make a piece of software be intuitive and immediate. And once you got used to it, if you were any good, it was fast.

The truth, though, really, is that I was never drawn to LW. It was more that I was repelled by various things about the other 3D software at the time.

Lewis
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Amiga times drove me to LW :) , my first Lw was 3.5 (first standalone) on Amiga around 1993.

geo_n
02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Another vote for Price.

shrox
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
...It's hard to explain now, in 2012, just how much of a revelation Modeler was back then. It was... I don't know... I suppose it was glorious. That's probably the right word. Glorious. Everything made sense...

Exactly

realgray
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Started on 9.2 Loved the movie 300 and the work done by ScreamingDeathMonkey and Pixel Magic. Also the lineage with Star Trek. I'm a huge Trekkie :thumbsup: I enjoy the workflow as well, especially with camera navigation. The best camera nav of any 3d soft imho.

XswampyX
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I think mine first go was with lightwave 5 on the pc.... Pirate copy on a gold cdr. This was when Cdr's were exotic. I just loved it..... even though it was awful - no instructions, buggy copy and no internet back then.

Couldn't get 6 for free and I think the price was dropped for seven?

So I bought in. Have kept it going ever-since. :) I have a purple dongle.

First ever real model was an ogre character imported into quake that was made to look like my dad! How I laughed blowing that to bits. My friends thought it was fantastic!

Must say I'm loving 11. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
That low retail price of $2500 vs the other guys (Yes, LW costs that much before).

ecgi
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
5.5, $200 used only weeks before the "Joy of 6" release. Ron Thorton's work got me wanting LW long before that.

aidenvfx
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Price was #1. Just before Core they had some crazy cross grade deals that made it well under 1K.

However the reason I have stayed with LW instead of moving over to MODO (The upgrade price for Modo is around the same as LW 11) And that was my next move it was see what LW11 is and decide to stay or move on to MODO. I stayed because I saw a number of features added to LW11. I also read and saw the pre-release in action and the reports about how stable it is.

Snosrap
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Lens flares. :D

Nicolas Jordan
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I learned most of the ins and outs of basic 3D graphics in Softimage 3D on Unix by taking a 70 hour introductory course. After completing the course I looked at purchasing Softimage but the cost of the software and the SGI workstation I needed to run it was prohibitive at the time so that drove me to look at other options. A employee at a local computer/software dealer showed me Lightwave 5.6 and explained 6.0 was on it's way. Once he told me the price I was sold! The fact that Lightwave was fairly priced and ran on Windows NT were both HUGE pluses for me at the time. :thumbsup:

Paul_Boland
02-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Star Trek. I'm a huge star Trek fan and I wanted to create the epic ships and space scenes I saw on the show so when I learned that the show used Lightwave, I wanted it. I started with Lightwave 8 but it was so different to the 3D package I was using at the time, Caligari's TrueSpace 5, that I didn't move over to it. When Caligari released TrueSpace 7 which radically changed the program to the point where it didn't look anything like TrueSpace any more, that's when I started to really get into Lightwave. Then when Microsoft bought Caligari and then the company was shut down, I moved over to Lightwave completely.

digefxgrp
02-03-2012, 08:29 PM
I was first hired on at a VFX/motion graphics studio in 1980 as a model builder, and by 1983 split duties between being the production manager and lead motion control camera operator. I took ownership of the studio in 1987 and started testing the waters in computer graphics in 1988 using the 'Cyber-Studio" suite of tools on the Atari ST. Moved to Amiga platform in 1989 and used almost every graphics package that was available for it, including VideoScape and Modeler 3D...the precursors to Lightwave.
Bought my first Video Toaster when version 2.0 popped and did Lightwave's first motion picture film project, the "policy and presentation" trailer for Act III Theaters using the beta version of Lightwave 3.0.
Since then, Lightwave's been my primary 3D package up until modo 401.

My latest high profile gig was modernizing Regal Theaters old "Roller Coaster" Policy Trailer using both Lightwave and modo, and comped in After Effects CS4. This new version was rendered at 4K to accommodate Regal's use of the new higher-def Sony projectors.
They've posted it on YouTube, so check it out if you like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6gon66jF8s

ShadowMystic
02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
I started in high school with Inspire 3D, Rhinoceros, Bryce, Daz. Liked inspire best and Lightwave was its bigger brother!

Titus
02-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I started using LW way back in 1997 when I was almost homeless and switching careers. My first try was with 3d studio 4 but then LW 5 appeared and was impressed with the render quality. At that moment LW was bleeding edge to me. At the same time I was learning RenderMan.

LW was used for many tv shows (Roughneck chronicles, Babylon 5) and movies (Titanic), but there were a couple of good LW books, enough to start learning.

Surrealist.
02-03-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--lQIqVM1cM

I think it was 1992. But I first was introduced to the Toaster in 1991 when I was getting ready to make a short film.

Long story short I wound up purchasing a Toaster in 1993 and it took me about a year to finish producing 4.5 minutes of animation to complete my live action short. I incorporated the image mapping techniques in that Tod Rundgren video to do the effects.

Nothing too fantastic but I was able to finish my film and that would not have been possible without LightWave or the other far more expensive solutions at the time.

This was the first thing I produced in LightWave: It was a 570 frame animation (part of which I I looped) for the tittle sequence of my film.

http://richardculver.com/resources/Title.jpg.opt654x480o0,0s654x480.jpg

It had reflections and refractions and each frame took over an hour to render on my Amiga 2000 with a Gforce accelerator and 16 megs of ram.

It took about a week and a half to complete the rendering.

It was based on photo references of the location in Hollywood we shot at for the detective office sequences.

Titus
02-03-2012, 10:26 PM
My first short film is inside a zip disk :/.

eagleeyed
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Few reasons drew me to LightWave.

1. This very forum, found the people here to be an incredibly friendly bunch, not putting people down for doing something different to them etc. While I think the community has dropped down in numbers a bit, still find it a brilliant place. :) (so thanks to people reading this! :P)

2. The interface. The first program I ever tried was Max (7 and 8), and while I did get a bit created with it, just could not get used to the interface. I then looked into the cost and had a heart attack. I then started looking into more affordable programs and LightWave popped up a fair bit. I then learnt it did the stuff in Firefly which whoo'ed me a bit. Love the no icons interface.

3. Price. Being a student could not justify blowing 4k on a piece of software. As LightWave was a fair bit more affordable, bought the student edition ($AU329) then went on a 2 hour trainride and 30 minute walk to pick it up. Having my hands on the fabled dongle for some reason was oddly memorable. Now bought a commercial edition from a Ex-Lightwaver and was a lot better value than could get with any other program.

4. Just love the rendering engine.

5. LW-Cad. I couldnt justify the cost when I was just learning it, however was high on my purchase list. Luckily got it included when I bought the second hand commercial license. This plugin is awesome.

battery555
02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
About 9 years ago I came across a car modeling tutorial by Lewis and cobra. It was super awesome and I convinced my boss to get it. I even purchased the Maserati modeled by Lewis to deconstruct it just to see how the details put together :D

bazsa73
02-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Lens flares. :D

Exactly, the lens flares. I have seen a robotic arm in a gaming magazine in the 90's where a whole page was dedicated to Lightwave and the robotic arm was made "better" with lens flares. I thought then, that that is the ultimate computergraphical beautiness.

CaptainMarlowe
02-04-2012, 12:37 AM
For me, it was a contest between LW and C4D.
I chose Lightwave for :
1 - Mac aware
2 - Interface (I prefer text to icons)
3 - Separation between Layout and Modeler was better for my mind frame at the time, even though I'm now ready for a unified app.
4 - All-in-one package
5 - Renderer
6 - Price : I bought LW 9.0 in a bundle with LWCAD 1.6 and SUBDO. I never used Subdo which didn't work correctly via Wine, but LW+LWCAD for 695 euros was a steal imho.
7 - the community : forums, plugins... I did learn a lot thanks to LW community !

I dod love LW10, also (Mac 64 bits and VPR) and with LW11, I am even more willing to keep on with Lightwave.

vector
02-04-2012, 01:16 AM
A friend and the price. First version: 7.5

Autocharacter setup made me take the decision too at that time

Vector

Fadlabi
02-04-2012, 02:45 AM
I know lightwave from MacUser Magazine, it's makes articles reviews a bout 3D softwares, and Lightwave almost get about 4 strars or more from 5 stars. Add to this Lightwave win the prize of the Best 3D Software of the Year, more times on the MacUser.

From that my story began, bought Lightwave v.9, upgrade to v.10, upgrade to v.11:D

Thanks very much to the incredibly friendly & helpful lightwave community forum.:thumbsup:

cyroz
02-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Started with 5 on amiga, switched to PC, played few weeks with 3D Studio R3, before getting Lw 5.6

Loved the joy of 6 revolution, UV, no need to freeze your models, layers, the HUB...

Inspiration :
- B5
- Evil Plan / Todd Grimes
- Benoit Sokal (l'amerzone)
- Yann Couderc
- Jacques Defontaine

nomad108
02-04-2012, 03:20 AM
As a hobbyist, I was looking for the most affordable software I could find with the most features. I had actually built a spreadsheet comparing cost and features of quite a few programs. LW had the most features included at the best price. I bought into LW 8 with a free upgrade to 9. Once I started using it, I was blown away by how intuitive it is! I've played around with a few other programs, but when I want to get something done, I'm back to LW.

Afalk
02-04-2012, 04:36 AM
I came onboard at teh end of 5.6 right when 6 was poised to overhaul the entire universe of LW (seemed so back then anyhow). 5.6 wasn't a bad app, 6 and every version beyond has really kept me inspired (and working). Trained with the relatively short lived Foundation Institute, did some teaching in the mid-west and used my newly found 3d skills every step hehe, then started my own small production studio.

Loving LW 11 and am still excited about the future (though the 9-11 cycle wasn't fun).

erikals
02-04-2012, 05:39 AM
first tried 3Dbryce, why is it so slow?...something must be wrong... (i had no idea i had to wait hours to get a render)

saw colleges use LW 5 on the Amiga, and LW 5.5 on the PC
i was stunned to see realtime 3D in OpenGL... Wow! :]

i tried it a bit, and a bit more, and the rest is history. loved it...!

used Maya for some time, but was sad to see how clunky and inefficient it was, (for my use)
especially considering the price.

still checking out other 3D apps to see what's new, to see if getting a second app will be worth it, but so far, nothing.
(not saying that these other 3D apps are bad, they just don't fit my use at the moment)

and, i love the great LW plugins, HDi, DPont's, plgUV, FPrime, Syflex, PicTrix, 3Dcoat, Turbulence4D, LWCad, Dodgy's, infiniMap, RealFlow, Vroom, EasySplines, SG_CCTools, ViaCAD, Octane, many more... (not all true plugins, but are used as plugins)

very much looking forward to LW12 and beyond.
 

littlewaves
02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Started with 9.0 in 2006.

Started with 3D in general before that as I'd done a lot of flash ecards and some websites and bought Swift3D as it exported 3d animation to vector for flash.

Swift also had a raster engine and that made me think "Cool I can make movies now"

Swift was quite limited so after much frustrating messing around with Poser, Vue and Wings 3D (free simple poly modelling software) I realised I needed something a bit more pro and settled on Lightwave because of the TV credentials, the fact that there was a Mac version and probably most of all because there was a "companion upgrade" offer for photoshop owners that meant I could get full version of LW 9.0 for Ģ300 which is Ģ200 less than it will cost me to upgrade to LW11.

Much as I lament the slow development progress on reflection I guess even if I shell out to upgrade to 11 I've still had a pretty good deal.

I probably never will make my movie but at least I've made money making people's logos spin around!

SBowie
02-04-2012, 06:12 AM
(Yes, LW costs that much before).I paid $2500 too. I was a hobbyist - still am for that matter, and wasn't making all that much back then. Ver. 3.5 like to as near stopped my A4000 dead. :)

prometheus
02-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Well..when I heard of it first..and what got my attention, that was the tv-series babylon 5, guess thatīs when I started to look in to it.

Michael

fazi69
02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
For Amiga nerd like myself it was obvious choice :-) Ehhh.... without Amiga there will be a lot more MAX users.

colkai
02-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Well..when I heard of it first..and what got my attention, that was the tv-series babylon 5, guess thatīs when I started to look in to it.

Michael

Likewise, then I found out about someone selling a spare seat on the Compuserve boards and picked up LW4.0 for the PC 2nd hand, (2 3.5 inch floppies :) ).
Kept on the upgrade path then right up to 9.6

Tell ya, it was a nervous time waiting for that package to arrive overland from the USA back in the day. :p

AbstractTech3D
02-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Had learnt the basics of version LW6 from a tertiary educational course, years ago.
Some years later, had semi-urgent need to produce 3d graphics for a certain video production. Since LW was what I knew, and I didn't particularly have time to learn another package… and the price was comparatively attractive..

So - getting it into educational institutions really is a good long term marketing strategy

GandB
02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Great stories so far! Paul B and I come from the same Caligari Camp (forgot to mention that). I started using GameSpace, then moved to TrueSpace. I too wasn't super fond of the version 7 look and feel. It's too bad that Caligari "fell victim" (though Roman went on board of his own accord) to Microsoft's usual behavior of buying up and then dumping/killing brands. But (as with Paul); that's what led me to Lightwave full time.

The price is also a heavy reason for upgrading, and I'm willing to stick around and see what's coming next; even if I end up using an additional program or two.

fablefox
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
My first short film is inside a zip disk :/.

Mine too.

There is a lot of reason why I choose LW. But the main selling point, sadly, was CORE. I'm an old head in 3d animation as a hobbyist (maybe less than hobbiyist - fly by er?) I kind of love 3d gfx ever since i was a kid, and old enough (33 years now) to remember Indy PC, SGI, Amiga even though I never have the access to it, just reading mag at libraries, etc. And I was a fan of space movie at that time, and knew a lot of effect was using LW.

So I knew NewTek was an old head. I tend to use whatever I can get for free off 3D World Mag (I purchased the first one - Dinasour.). and of course, just for the fun of it. And as we all know, the big three never become free (unlike carrara, strata, and some other I forgot).
And the long time of 9.x I thought LW was dying.

Then came CORE an LW advertising in 3DW. I mean, when was the last time you saw a LW advert in 3DW? The fact that it will become combined app, and other things, and I knew full well all the movies and shows made using LW, and it's renderer. so I put down the student version. and of course, the fact that you can load your student version models into your commercial version when you upgrade is good news too. Anyway, this is the reason:

- price
- renderer
- history

i just wish there are more trainings on LW on tuts sites.

ohhhh... the revolution

"you can use for weddings, even divorces..."
"whoa lighwave 3d. how it works?"
"EASY" <---- yeah!
"You are the next walt disney" <-- roar!

fablefox
02-04-2012, 08:31 AM
it sad to know that it will never be a combined app for now. at least not LW11.

oobievision
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I was fortunate enough to recieve Lightwave as a gift for Christmas. My now Ex-Father inlaw, gave it to me as a present. Version 9 and ive been using it ever since. Now I was a Max/Maya user for years. But when I saw got it for christmas and played it for the first time. the controls seemed so organic it just stuck with me. Best gift I ever gotten from anyone.

Greenlaw
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I started with LW 5.0 for Mac. Ugh! That was a horrible release--I couldn't run it for more than a minute before crashing. Fortunately, 5.5 came out a few months later and finally got things rolling on Mac.

What drove me to LW was Modeler's 'MetaNurbs' which was pretty awesome compared to anything else at the time. The competitive upgrade price was right for me too: side-graded from Electric Image for about $1000 (I think LW's list price back then was something like $2500.) I originally intended to used Modeler to support EI but eventually switched to Layout when it became stable on the Mac (version 5.6). A few months after that I was working in film here in LA as an animator and fx artist so it turned out to be a good investment.

That was in '97/'98, and around that time it seemed like everything on TV was made in Lightwave. Back then LW actually had a huge media presence in the industry which obviously influenced my decision.

Remember the 'It's everywhere!' campaign?

Geez--I think I'm officially old now. :eek:

G.

Waves of light
02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
I was an Amiga 1200 owner, I can't remember the year, and used Deluxe Paint a lot. I never got into LW whilst owning the Amiga, but years later I was looking at a way to do a nice looking 3D map for a promotional brochure. I tried the discovery edition of LW7. My ideas never made the final brochure, but I found a site called LWG3D, with free tutorials, one in particular by a certain Elvis Blazencic (aka Lewis) on how to model a Mustang car. I was hooked. I tried my best to get the company I worked for to purchase LW, but they wouldn't and couldn't see a use for it.

So a couple of years later, I found a guy on the NT forums selling his copy of LW8 (with an upgrade to 9.6) and bought it for myself. Think I got it for $760 and it came with Vue and loads of books and magazines . Finally, when a project I was working on, required cg Shrek-like characters, I presented a set of render cg characters, plus animations and they purchased 9.6. which also came with LWCAD.

And here I am today.

Snosrap
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I was fortunate enough to recieve Lightwave as a gift for Christmas. My now Ex-Father inlaw, gave it to me as a present. Version 9 and ive been using it ever since. Now I was a Max/Maya user for years. But when I saw got it for christmas and played it for the first time. the controls seemed so organic it just stuck with me. Best gift I ever gotten from anyone. Your wife might not have been so great but your ex-father inlaw sounds like a keeper. :D

rcallicotte
02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
The images. I remember back in the 90s how beautiful LW images were and this was it (really, nothing else came close)! Then, it was its stability. Then, and perhaps most important, the community - people aren't bull****ters (mostly :D ) and I can find what I need to know without being put down. Lots of friendly help here.

dblincoe
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Started using it during the ver.5 to ver.6 transition. I always liked how I could do a number of different kind of projects on it. Architectural, character, etc. The price was right and the workflow just clicked with me.

Waves of light
02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Started using it during the ver.5 to ver.6 transition. I always liked how I could do a number of different kind of projects on it. Architectural, character, etc. The price was right and the workflow just clicked with me.

Yep, look what you can produce for the price (and maybe a little post in other software packages). Incredible really.

shrox
02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I forgot, what made me stay with Lightwave was the free buttless leather chaps offer for upgrading.

clintonman
02-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Bang for the buck and the promise of a unified app is what got me. Truespace was becoming to limited for me and I was looking for a new 3D app. This was during the 8.5 to 9.0 development when the price of Lightwave dropped to about $800 and Vue was bundled with it. My second choice, Maya, was about $2000 at that time. I was more familiar with Maya, but it just couldn't beat the value of LW. If there had been no promise and price drop it would probably be different story. Still waiting for that unified app. Maybe in the future...

metahumanity
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
An interview in some CG mag with Ron Thronton about the BABYLON 5 fx. That was a lifetime ago.

dblincoe
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Bang for the buck and the promise of a unified app is what got me. Truespace was becoming to limited for me and I was looking for a new 3D app. This was during the 8.5 to 9.0 development when the price of Lightwave dropped to about $800 and Vue was bundled with it. My second choice, Maya, was about $2000 at that time. I was more familiar with Maya, but it just couldn't beat the value of LW. If there had been no promise and price drop it would probably be different story. Still waiting for that unified app. Maybe in the future...

Ah Truespace...that was my start in 3d. There is program that started pretty good and then cheesed out when it catered to creating web content.

mis
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Well

i started doing 3d graphics back in the days on my Amiga 500

First i started some Sculpt 3d / 4d
then i wend to Real 3D then they changed
there interface in version 3.5 and it became really bad
so i turned to imagine ( formaly known as turbosilver)

then i got my hands on a version of Lightwave for Amiga
i beleave it was version 3.5.

i was totaly hooked with its antializing , its rendering and its surfacing vs Imagine so hmmm that seemed nice.

Through the yers then i testet some Softimage for a periot
some Xsi and some 3dsmax but i kempt jumping into lightwave
again and again.
so when i sold my beloved Amiga and got a pC to get faster renderpower
i continued with Lightwave and well today
i still have testet some max and alittle bit of maya and so
but still Lightwave just feels right to me both
value for money and the price itself.

now ime just wondering how i can save money for a upgrading my licence to lw 11 so i can get that in my livingroom shelf as well
and learn what thats all about

but thats alittle hard when supporting the family and kids
and buying dibers and paying for the house and stuff ....

dblincoe
02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Well

i started doing 3d graphics back in the days on my Amiga 500

First i started some Sculpt 3d / 4d
then i wend to Real 3D then they changed
there interface in version 3.5 and it became really bad
so i turned to imagine ( formaly known as turbosilver)

then i got my hands on a version of Lightwave for Amiga
i beleave it was version 3.5.

i was totaly hooked with its antializing , its rendering and its surfacing vs Imagine so hmmm that seemed nice.

Through the yers then i testet some Softimage for a periot
some Xsi and some 3dsmax but i kempt jumping into lightwave
again and again.
so when i sold my beloved Amiga and got a pC to get faster renderpower
i continued with Lightwave and well today
i still have testet some max and alittle bit of maya and so
but still Lightwave just feels right to me both
value for money and the price itself.

now ime just wondering how i can save money for a upgrading my licence to lw 11 so i can get that in my livingroom shelf as well
and learn what thats all about

but thats alittle hard when supporting the family and kids
and buying dibers and paying for the house and stuff ....
Understand the supporting family and kids part. I have a three year old an three week old! But they are the reason for doing all of this in the first place!

shrox
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
No one else got the free buttless leather chaps offer?

LaughingVulcan
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, the first 3D program I tried was Aldus (Or Macromedia's) Extreme 3D.

Horrible, HORRIBLE program, but I was Intrigued...

A friend of mine got me a pirated version of LW 5.5. I was a bit off-put by the very...PC-like...interface, but I adjusted...and played...

and when Inspire 3D came out from NewTek, I bought it...That lasted until LW 6.5 was introduced...and I upgraded to a properly purchased copy of that...

I've been with Lightwave ever since.

My boss TRIED to get me to start on Maya or Max, but they were COMPLETELY incomprehensible to me. (If it takes me a half hour to come CLOSE to find the pen and lathe tools to make a test shape, you've LOST me...THAT was the case with the...icon-rich...Maya interface...NEVER want to use them AGAIN! :( )

I breathed a sigh of relief when I was back with my old buddy Lightwave again, needless to say. :D

GandB
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM

I'm still bitter about that.....thanks for opening up a fresh wound again Shrox....thanks alot! :thumbsup:

Ryan Roye
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
1) I remember watching Timothy's KAZE ghost warrior and seeing that it was made using Lightwave... although it wasn't all that great in my opinion, I was fascinated by the work behind the work... if that makes sense at all.

-I didn't actually get into Lightwave until a few years later though... after desiring to make cutscenes that emulate 3d games made in the 90's... turns out purposely old-styled graphics is a great stepping stone for learning more.

2) Price, of course

3) The interface. Clean, easy to learn, and I love tab-driven interfaces.

4) Lightweight programming. This is vital to earning my interest in ANY program... if the software is code-bloated (like most autodesk and Adobe-era Macromedia products), it is worthless to me. LW being split into Layout and Modeler is both a blessing and curse in my eyes.

Paul24
02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Guys,

For me it was :

1 - Price
2 - Modeler
3 - The rendering engine

:lwicon:

bobakabob
02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Started with LW 5.6 sometime 1997 on a Dell Dimension 64 mb ram Win 95 pc with a truly memory challenged graphics card. Both hardware and software were solid as a rock. Lightwave seemed very niche and exotic. After dabbling in Bryce and despising Max with a vengeance, a crude, clunky inspiration killer which felt like drawing in boxing gloves, discovering LW's interface was so instant and liberating, you forgot it was there. Back then Modeler was especially revolutionary, the renderer amazing, it wasn't difficult to pick up freelance work. The forum was brimming with enthusiasm and knowledge. Then Maya came along... But so what. LW 11 is going to be a milestone.

Burchigb
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Like the ease, price, and capacity to transfer between poser and Lightwave

GregMalick
02-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I started with LW7.5 because of price and features.
I keep staying with it because of upgrade price and features.

Sometimes I'm close to giving up on LW - but then someone like Rob Powers comes along and gives it a shot in the arm.

And if you are listening Rob --- please give LW 12 something amazing like realistic fire. Something like turbulence...but even better.

inakito
02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I started around 2002 with Maya 4, 3d studio max 4, and Lightwave 5.6 at the same time...
Seeing the crap tools to lit and shade in 3Dmax and the no user friendly Maya workflow, I sticked to Lightwave since then.

Wade
02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Just remembered there was a short time I used Ray Dream Studio just prior to Buying LW 6.

Again Lightwave was my choice for

Price ( 995.00 ) as a student
It was taught at the community college.
The work done - Architectural renderings.
After two basic classes for an introduction I was able to pick up the rest on the job.

Philbert
02-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Before doing any 3D seriously in the late 90's I had played with Bryce, Poser, Animation master, 3D Studio, and even toyed with LightWave a little but it was honestly school. Who knows where I'd be if DAVE School taught something else. But I know I'm happy with my choice. I even bought my first copy of LW for a whopping $300 from the school. Funny thing, before switching schools I was an animation major at University of the Arts in Philly and I saw that I would have started learning SoftImage had I stayed there.

regular
02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
For me, it was the competitive price upgrade from Photoshop no less. :)

That and when I watched some William Vaughn tutorials, I was totatlly hooked.

Greenlaw
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Just remembered there was a short time I used Ray Dream Studio just prior to Buying LW 6.
Cool! I started my career as an illustrator using Ray Dream Studio. Did tons of work with it for Reader's Digest, Mega Bloks, Wienerschnitzel, Harcourt Brace, and Klasky-Csupo before I switched to Lightwave. (Hmm...I think I had an oddly diverse client list back then.) :)

G.

rcallicotte
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Just checking...no. :thumbsup:

Richard Hebert
02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Started with LW 9 after being introduced to 3D with Poser Artist 4 and a small program called Pixels 3D. Purchased LW because of price and Mac compatibility.

Richard

mcotner
02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Well I started 3D by writing scene files for PovRay . . . infinitely intrigued by the idea of a computer tracing every ray of light.

Moray(which to my surprise still has an active web site http://www.stmuc.com/moray/), was my next step. Seeing how you can do this with a nice gui made me want more.

Then I switched from my PC to the Amiga and tried one of the first standalone Lightwave versions and I was hooked.

Went back to the PC around version 4 and played a bit, then got too busy with work and stopped playing with 3D entirely for a number of years.

Finally broke down and bought version 9 a few years ago and subsequent upgrades.

Last years resolution was to finally _really_ learn Lightwave, this years is to continue what I've learned so far.

I'm like a really old NOOB, but I'm loving every minute of it.

What keeps me using Lighwave? Watching things like the L5 teaser where they're creating shadow maps manually in post to make the renders look as good as Lightwave. LOL Oddly enough, using less expensive software would have saved them hours of post . . . they're using 3DS Max now. :) Btw, if you get a chance . . . check out the show . . . it's going to be released soon(this month I think). I can't wait . . . I haven't been this excited since Babylon 5.

'njoy,
Mark

P.S. Another thing that keeps me using LW is this forum, you all have been extremely helpful and accommodating.

P.P.S. I just had a very funny thought. Imagine writing a scene file for PovRay in a text editor for Avatar . . . my how far we've come. :)

UnCommonGrafx
02-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Imagine died.

I had LW on the original VT and liked some of what it had but was a diehard imagineer.

After imagine died (head hung) I knew I needed another tool. I loved Real3D but it was crazy slow. Everything else just calculated out of the scenario; LW had the best of the lot and still does for the generalist.

digefxgrp
02-05-2012, 03:15 AM
"No one else got the free buttless leather chaps offer? "

Passed on the chaps, but I did get the 'Terminator Edition' chrome-plated Codpiece when I cross-graded my MIPS version. :rock:

shrox
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
"No one else got the free buttless leather chaps offer? "

Passed on the chaps, but I did get the 'Terminator Edition' chrome-plated Codpiece when I cross-graded my MIPS version. :rock:

Wasn't all this offered while Chuck was there?

colkai
02-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Well I started 3D by writing scene files for PovRay . . . infinitely intrigued by the idea of a computer tracing every ray of light.

Moray(which to my surprise still has an active web site http://www.stmuc.com/moray/), was my next step. Seeing how you can do this with a nice gui made me want more.

Oh man, that brings back memories, I moved from Povray with Moray to Imagine 3.0 which came free on a PC magazine disk.
I still have moray lying around someplace! :p

Kionel
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Babylon5. No two ways about it. Once I saw the first Starfury drop from B5's cobra bays, I was hooked. I was astonished by what was being done with networked computers back in the 1990s. Heck, the shot of the 'furies investigating the shattered transport from "Midnight on the Firing Line" is still one of my favorites.

I ended up getting a copy of LightWave 5.6 from an IT co-worker in 1999. He'd actually worked on some small projects, but he was disillusioned and leaving the field. The copy he gave me had no instructions, and was missing the dongle. He said he'd get it to me "...when he found it..." and provided a crack in the meantime.

I never got the dongle, but I played with LightWave nontheless. I spent some many hours on the Babylon5 Modeling Group, trying to duplicate the work I saw there. With no real understanding of the tool, I failed miserably. Discouraged, I let the software just sit on my hard drive, unused.

Flash forward to 2005. I'd fallen into film-making almost by accident. From asking "How hard would it be to actually make a movie?" while sitting around a gaming table in 2002, I ended up directing and editing several micro-budget vampire films for early web distribution by the end of the year. By the end of 2004 I'd co-produced and floor directed two seasons of a micro-budget Horror Hosting TV show for a Minneapolis TV station. (No, not Public Access; an actual station. Yeah, I was shocked, too.) Having got the taste for the film-making process, and being a lifelong Science Fiction fan, the next logical micro-budget challenge was, of course, a science fiction film of our own.

Yeah, really. We thought we could pull it off. Silly people.

Several packages were considered during the VFX R&D process. In the end, though, I just looked at B5 and said "We need LightWave." So, for my 38th birthday my wife ponied up for a LightWave8 package that included $400.00 worth of training materials. Once it arrived I dove into learning it. I need to do so because, come post-production time, I had to train my team and do the work right alongside them.

The second time around went much better. I made my first models with the help of the folks from LWG3D.com, and was excited to be able to make the movie come to life.

Sadly, just as designs were locked and costumes were designed, funding fell through for the SF film. Frustrated, we ended up making another frigging vampire movie.

Thing is, I'd loved what I'd learned about LightWave and wanted to know more. So, when a long-time leadership contract ended in 2008, rather than go back to Tech Writing I headed off to DAVE School to learn the trade. I've been a paid freelancer ever since. (Not sole-income, mind you, but enough to make me happy.)

In the interim I've worked with other packages. I love parts of Modo (*cough* UV unwrapping *cough*), but still prefer Modeler as it's as comfortable as an old pair of jeans now. Maya has some terrific lighting and particle effects, but is just too damned pricey to maintain. Blender is fun -- and had it been near the 2.6 level in 2005 I probably wouldn't be here now -- but is still too much of a foreign country for my liking. Max...no. The less said about Max the better.

LightWave is the tool that allows me to just create. Sure, it has its warts, but they're warts that I know. I'll take the devil I know over an over-priced and just-as-buggy counterpart every day of the week.

JEFFilm
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Was drawn to it back in the old days with my Amiga 4000T and the VT for independent filmmaking.
I still have my VT Revolution VHS that got me hooked.

Still making films (though with Adobe Premiere pro now) and using Lightwave.

MDSPECIFIC
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
It was a long time ago. I saw some LW renders, Blade Runner city scene, DeLorean car from movie Back to the future, lens flares and volumetric lights! :thumbsup:
In that time I was playing with Autodesk 3D Studio4 (DOS). :D

shrox
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
It was a long time ago. I saw some LW renders, Blade Runner city scene, DeLorean car from movie Back to the future, lens flares and volumetric lights! :thumbsup:
In that time I was playing with Autodesk 3D Studio4 (DOS). :D

3DS4 had some weird lens flare hack, I think it was surface or object based.

MDSPECIFIC
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah, maybe through some plugins (can't remember right now), but LW flares was way better, like a real/movie like and glow with volumetric lights give me completely new dimension in 3d visualisation.

Nicolas Jordan
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I love parts of Modo (*cough* UV unwrapping *cough*), but still prefer Modeler as it's as comfortable as an old pair of jeans now.

:agree: :thumbsup:

GandB
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
These are great stories guys; thanks for sharing! Maybe this will give the guys and gals developing LW11 (and beyond) some mental comfort food. ;)

jburford
02-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Also the Amiga/Video Toaster Days, starting out with Lightwave 3.0 officially, after dabbling a bit with Imagine. Was dazzled by the images of Babylon 5 / SeaQuest DSV Series and liked to dream. Unfortunately, took some years to get around in it well, was thinking "too hard" when modelling, and then it sort of finally sank in.

Have, LW 10.1, and would like to get my hands on 11 when it is out......

Getting older, still Dreaming, would give anything to swing the DAVE School in Orlando, but not certain how I could get all the irons worked out to make it happen.

jaf
02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I wanted a graphics tablet, Photoshop, and a modeling program. When I bought my Wacom Intuos, it came with coupon offer for Photoshop. Photoshop had offers for Lightwave 9. Bought both -- just wish I had the coin to upgrade, but a fixed income and being a hobbyist pretty much puts a stop on that.

Barnard
02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Without a doubt, I will most certainly say that Dead Fantasy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIy5Q3EB6ec) drew me to Lightwave, even though Monty Oum used a different software package. I use Lightwave instead because I prefer its simpler text menus as opposed to Autodesk's confusing mess of icons.

For those of you not familiar with the name, Dead Fantasy is an awesome fan-made rendition of a war between the characters of the Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive series, featuring matrix style combat. It was extremely expiring that just one man made this.

shrox
02-09-2012, 07:55 PM
...I use Lightwave instead because I prefer its simpler text menus as opposed to Autodesk's confusing mess of icons...

Icons are what totally turned me off to Max and Maya. I have to learn a whole new hieroglyphic language just to make pretty pictures? A gear and 3 balls with wavy lines means what again?

GandB
02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Personally; I never had any issue with icons. You learn those buttons, and where they're located, just like text buttons. Of course, I did start in TrueSpace....

lwanmtr
02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I got into LW before it was even called Lightwave.... Cinemascape 3-d and Modeler 3-d on the Amiga...after that 2.0 on the Video Toaster..then 3.5 standalone..and stuck with it since....though I have been forced to learn the others for some things....hopefully 11 will put more of my workflow back into LW alone

thomascheng
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
The renders at the time was second to none. I then said i must learn this. I had no idea what programs were good or bad, it was all based on the marketing materials.

Philbert
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Personally; I never had any issue with icons. You learn those buttons, and where they're located, just like text buttons. Of course, I did start in TrueSpace....

The thing about that is yes, you learn the most common ones that you use every day, but what about the rest? Do you really want to look at the tool tip for every one of a hundred buttons to find the one you're looking for?

kopperdrake
02-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Fresh out of university in '94 two of us started a design business from my student room in shared digs, the walls still covered with fading squirrel nutkins wallpaper from its previous use as a nursery room. Inside this room was one Mac IIci and one Amiga 4000. We were going to design products - that was our intention. We had one copy of Vellum and one copy of LightWave 3.5, after my business partner made me watch the Babylon 5 video we'd rented from the local video store. We'd had to order it in. It was my bedroom, I was left alone at night in there, surrounded by beepy things. What could a guy do, except fire up the Amiga and sit down with that large, floppy set of manuals on my knees and learn LightWave. A cold room - gloves worn, knackered heating, yellowing paint, squirrel nutkins wallpaper, Tori Amos playing in the background - the flickering glow of the MicroVitec monitor until the early hours. A few months later we were offered, by Jeff, the editor of JAM magazine who'd moved in with Squirrel Software, the opportunity to preview the newly released Cinema 4D. After a few months of playing with it, we were given the chance to write the first book on Cinema 4D. We turned it down. We went back to LightWave. We never designed a product, but we did end producing some of the first CGI images in our city in 1995.

Skip 17 years, the ending of one business partnership, a stint in games, and back to self-employment, a wife and two kids.

Today I sit in a 3 desk studio, the walls clean white, wooden floors, surrounded by fields. Inside this room are 2 Macs and 1 PC workstation. We have one copy of Autodesk Inventor, two copies of LightWave 11. Currently I'm watching the BSG box set bought for me for Christmas by my wife. Sometimes I still sit here at night, the screens are flatter than I remember, the manuals now PDFs. Playing in the background is Radiohead. We've even started to design products, the irony.

LightWave, the way it just clicked in the way Cinema 4D didn't, and the help from all of the people in the community along the way (I remember clutching the latest Amiga Format, Ben Vost the editor, the great tutorials and write-ups), the whole thing has brought me to this room I currently sit in. It has helped pay for my house, my old VW bus, it has paid for holidays, my children. It has paid for the orchard I have just planted outside. I have a lot to thank NewTek for, and all who have helped me over the years.

brunopeixoto
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Mac compatibility - lw 6!

wrench
02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
@kopperdrake :D I used to work with Jeff Walker on JAM too, before I worked on CU, then Amiga Computing, Amiga World and finally Amiga Format.

B
PS. I remember those 14 disks well...
PPS. The first version of LightWave I saw was 2 when I worked for MicroPACE, but I had used Modeler 3D and Videoscape, but the first version I bought was Industrial Might and Logic's hacked 3.0, which removed the need for a dongle in the shape of a Video Toaster card that didn't work in PAL (and replaced it with another, parallel port, dongle).

kopperdrake
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks Ben - I have fond memories of those times. It still had a slightly underground feel to it all, and parents had no idea what you were up to, or even if it constituted a 'proper job'. I'm not sure they've changed their mind about that bit yet. Blimey, that's going back some! What ever happened to Jeff?! He was a character - I remember him being so passionate about the Amiga! Version 2 - oh I wish I'd seen that. I get scared when I see the old 3.5 interface, and what you could pull off just modelling in wireframe! Hehe :)

wrench
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The only thing I miss from the pre-OpenGL days was the tumble the wires used to do in the Perspective viewport. I found it very useful. As for Jeff Walker, I haven't the faintest, lost contact with him years ago. :(

B

roboman
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I was doing some simple stuff on a Atari 800, that didn't have the res or color depth, and on an S-100 system that had better of both, but I had to write all my own software. Amiga came out and I tried every piece of animation software out for it and liked Lightwave best. Then Amiga got dated and 3D studio on a dos machine (or several machines) was a better option. Then along came Windows and Max. I didn't like Max, but Lightwave 5 was comfortable and worked really well. It was missing a few cool options, but made up for it with ease of use. I got out of things at Lightwave 7 and started back into things less then a year ago. I downloaded demos of every thing I could and found Lightwave was still the one I was most comfortable with. So maybe it's just the fact that Lightwave was the first animation program that let me think about what I was doing and not how to do it, then I got use to it.

Sekhar
02-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I got in at 8 and had no idea how to develop in 3D or what the choices were. I had a budget of $2,000 set aside, so price was less important than ease of use and getting started quickly. I looked at Maya, Softimage, Max, Cinema 4D, and Lightwave. I don't think I really knew what I was looking for, so ultimately it wasn't the features but Lightwave's looks, ease of ease, and snappy response that did it for me...it was actually love at first sight.

cybernaut
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Cost. is was cheap to but when I was in school.

torturebori007
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
My cousin drew me to lightwave. Hes been using it for years. I guess when the first one was out. But I just picked it up about 6 months ago or just a bit more, then I got deploid and totally forgot all i learned. But am back now, and I am lost as heck. Coming here is a inspiration to see all the great stuff you guys do with this program.

My cousin does 3d rendering sell sheets for the conpamy he works for.And his stuff is great, realistic as heck. So i guess the art of creation got me into it.

Now its time to learn something

moussepipi2000
02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
start in lw 7 when i was 16yo,the demo was on a 3d magazine, installed it and tried to model. i stop for 6 month because i didnt know how to change a surface (all my object had the same material,then when i discover the Q key, it was the revelation!. im now 25 and used modo for graphics and lightwave for animation. i still love lightwave and keep an eye on the dev (bought lw 11)

papou
02-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Max drove me to Lightwave.
It was a 3dsmax course, a guy has installed Lightwave onto a computer into the classroom.
That was done.

jasonwestmas
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Max drove me to Lightwave.
It was a 3dsmax course, a guy has installed Lightwave onto a computer into the classroom.
That was done.

haha, I certainly would be creating my models for max in lightwave.

Kippa
02-14-2012, 06:05 PM
The cost mainly drew me to it as it is reasonably priced for what you can do with. It is much cheaper than 3dsmax et al.

CROUTON213
02-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Nicolaus Copernicus, of course ... remember the paradigm shift in 1993 and the Video Toaster 4000? I am still a part of it thanks to NewTek with Lightwave and SpeedEDIT.

Yes I still have my Amiga 4000. We don't fire her up anymore ... unless you want me to. Do ya?

renderwerx
02-15-2012, 06:14 AM
I started in trueSpace and thought it's the best there is...
then figured there must be some truth in it with LightWave
if it's everywhere. :)

still think of LightWave as a God...:thumbsup: it's some magic in it
hard to explain, but I just can get everything I want to model
look the way I want it .....If I'm good at it or indifferent... that's a different story....
and LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D
software .... just nice working in Lightwave

I don't have two monitors but thinking of it what other program
lets you render whilst you continue to model? In max for example
you either render or model, but in LightWave you do two things
at the same time..... how cool is that?
Another thing for me to like LightWave.

realgray
02-15-2012, 06:36 AM
" LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D
software" That is something that is still almost startling to me when I use other software in just how small their windows can be. It feels wonderful for my brain to have such a big window in Lightwave for my models yet have the tools I need just off to the side.

Andrewstopheles
02-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Started out in with Generic CAD in high school. Then on to AutoCAD in college. By this time I was fascinated by the idea of 3D in CAD.
Then back to college again, where i was taught 3DSMax. This satisfied me for a while but it never quite felt right.
Career sidetracked and I worked in prepress in the packaging industry for many years, until I decided I wanted to move on.
I decided I was going to purchase my own copy of some 3D program, learn and *ahem* master it, so I looked at every available program at that time. I narrowed it down to Softimage Foundation and Lightwave.
I asked around and Softimage was the most recommended of the two. But I knew I'd regret not getting Lightwave, and on a gut feeling I bought Lightwave 9.0.
SOrry to say that learning Lightwave was not easy for me - the first couple of years were a real struggle - I knew the concepts of 3D but translating my CAD and Max knowledge to Lightwave was a real chore.
I feel like I've got it now though. And I am very, very happy with my choice. (Excpept once in a while I get ticked off by something like the CORE drop).
Overall a very happy LW user.

mav3rick
02-15-2012, 07:28 AM
undo system! (ahem :) system - how much code lines does it have? )

i hate when those CG pussies have all tools available from out of package making their skills dumb... LW learned me to do my job hard way and i just love that :)

if undo doesn't get u back there's always load scene button and that is just lovely

Intuition
02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
[Redacted by request of author]

renderwerx
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
undo system! (ahem :) system - how much code lines does it have? )

i hate when those CG pussies have all tools available from out of package making their skills dumb... LW learned me to do my job hard way and i just love that :)

if undo doesn't get u back there's always load scene button and that is just lovely

hehehe :)

ahmm.....
ah come on... re-loading a scene...
cheater :D
at least a little LScript.... no?

shrox
02-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Does anyone remember Zing3D? That was the very first 3D package I used. 1991-92?

shadowshifter
02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Phew! Long thread. Actually quite enjoyed reading the stories :)

I got introduced to LW7.something doing a Multimedia course at Murdoch University (in Western Australia) in 2000something (early, like 2001-2002ish maybe). It Just Worked (tm) with my brain. I tried other 3d programs (especially blender because it was free and Maya/Max because they're all industry standard and popular and stuff, back int eh day where I did actually want to get work in film or games) and ended up spending the money on Lightwave. There's just something about a program that you can pick up in 5 minutes. Price was bonus, I think I bought the student edition for like AU$400 or so and then upgraded to the normal license when I stopped being a starving student.

Unlike other people though I hope it never becomes unified, one of my favourite things about it is that the Modeler is separate from the animator. That was one of the things I always found horribly confusing about the others. I'd be critically upset if it ever did get smooshed together, not that my opinion counts for anything :)

erikals
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
" LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D software"
hm, never thought all that much about that, it's nice sometimes :]
hey, try alt+f2.... ;]

...re-loading a scene... cheater :D
at least a little LScript.... no?

nope :]
it's right there in the menu :]

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by realgray
" LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D software" If only it would stay that way when I have to open up those big clunky panels.

shrox
02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by realgray
" LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D software" If only it would stay that way when I have to open up those big clunky panels.

With two monitors Lightwave is sweeeet!

lwanmtr
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
unless your card doesnt really like running opengl on two monitors....i really need a new gfx card...

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
With two monitors Lightwave is sweeeet!

I can't imagine animating with the viewport on the left and the graph editor on the right. Seems awkward, is that how you work? Maybe I could find a setup where the the monitor is on top of the other.

kopperdrake
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
That's how I do it Jason and you soon get used to it :) I would dearly love dockable panels though, and panels that snap to each other. The last one would save me an untold amount of time if it stops me from tweaking each panel to get them all lined up and just so :)

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
That's how I do it Jason and you soon get used to it :) I would dearly love dockable panels though, and panels that snap to each other. The last one would save me an untold amount of time if it stops me from tweaking each panel to get them all lined up and just so :)

Mike Wolf pointed me to a panel snaping plugin, I have yet to try that out but I'm curious about it. Yeah, I'd like to be able to at least lock the panels in place.

shrox
02-16-2012, 06:11 PM
I can't imagine animating with the viewport on the left and the graph editor on the right...
That's how I usually set it up, and I have the renders appear on the right monitor too.

Of course as monitors go I am currently a single man.

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
That's how I usually set it up, and I have the renders appear on the right monitor too.

Of course as monitors go I am currently a single man.

haha, single is better. But I think I may just try out the dual monitor thing one of these days. ^.^

shrox
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
haha, single is better. But I think I may just try out the dual monitor thing one of these days. ^.^

You will come to the deux side...

OnlineRender
02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
to answer the topic header , the reason that drew me to Lightwave was its users....end of ,however that changes every day * i blame the handling somewhat *

nothing to do with the software although at the time it was **** hot ...

I remember opening the ui for the first time and loading the content disk , wow a model in 3D it spun around and everything this was after the atari days , new school to you old timers ,very late on at that time max was catching up and kicking *** but i went with LW , I have no solid reason , just like I had no solid reason why I persuade this downheartedness industry , i just did , but at east I picked a direction , maybe not the best but its put food on the table and that I am thankful for

Dexter2999
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I can't imagine animating with the viewport on the left and the graph editor on the right. Seems awkward, is that how you work? Maybe I could find a setup where the the monitor is on top of the other.

http://www.lcdarms.com/products/ArcView/9169-D-3.html

Like so.

But I have two 24" monitors side by side at work (where I sadly don't do much of any 3D anymore.) And a single 24" monitor at home.

I have been intrigued by the users who have a larger central monitor and a smaller 17" monitor turned in the portrait position and use it for various panels.

jasonwestmas
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.lcdarms.com/products/ArcView/9169-D-3.html

Like so.

But I have two 24" monitors side by side at work (where I sadly don't do much of any 3D anymore.) And a single 24" monitor at home.

I have been intrigued by the users who have a larger central monitor and a smaller 17" monitor turned in the portrait position and use it for various panels.

whoah, heavy duty! Thanks for the headsup.

Axis3d
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I started using LW with version 2.0 on the Video Toaster. The biggest thing which stood out from the other packages was the renderer.

A friend of mine at the time was trying to get me to use 3D Studio. I installed it on my computer to try it out. I exported a scene which came with it and imported it into Lightwave. Then I rendered one frame from that scene in 3D Studio, and the same frame rendered in Lightwave.

I showed both frames to my friend and asked him to choose the better looking render (not knowing which one was from his software).

He ended up choosing the Lightwave render!

I have made a career using Lightwave on movies, commercials, and lots of other projects. This latest release has really cool features and I hope that Newtek continues on this path to compete with and integrate into other 3d apps.

jimiclaybrooks
02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I started out using Bryce back in '89, just to supplement my painting work. At that time, I had no intention of becoming a Waver. I just needed to do some landscape work, and Bryce was it. Eventually, I got hooked on the idea of doing virtual realities, and I wanted to do more animating, so I tried them all. Carrara, Animation Master, Maya, and one other one. LWave had the best price, the most features, and the best modeler. Especially after trying to model in AnimMaster, that was a real nightmare for me. So here I am, trying to upgrade to 11, and LWave is still my app of choice. And since Maestro came out, I doubt that I would ever even consider using any other animation software, its gotten me so spoiled.

Greenlaw
02-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Mike Wolf pointed me to a panel snaping plugin, I have yet to try that out but I'm curious about it. Yeah, I'd like to be able to at least lock the panels in place.
I've been using AllSnap (http://ivanheckman.com/allsnap/) for years...it works great and it's free. Version 1.5 runs as a x64 version and, in spite of the warning on the developer's page, it seems compatible with just about everything.

G.

CharlieL
02-18-2012, 02:39 AM
I used something called Alias Sketch at first, which had some obvious limitations.
At that time I read an overly enthusiastic article in a Swedish trade paper
about Lightwave 5 that was announced for Mac. But it was not a nice honeymoon.
It hardly worked on my PowerBook.

I had to wait for LW5.5, then I began my first steps with Lightwave and I was amazed
of the renderings that came out, but I had a long way to go before my modeling was
good enough and I am still improving it.

However, when Apple updated to OSX 10.2 something happened with the drivers for
the screen. After that Lightwave could only be used if I limited the working area
to about 60 percent of the screen. It was totally impossible to use the full screen.
Therefore I had to buy a duo-dongle and a PC. So now I have a PC-setup with two
monitors.

Still I work mostly in LW9.6 as most of my work is a continuation on older files.
I have done some trials in LW10.1 but I havenīt got all plugins in order yet.
I think 9.6 is a very stable and well working setup.

As a part-time user, who mostly work with stills, I prefer stablility and productivity
before a lot of bells and whistles.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2012, 09:17 AM
10.1 is pretty darn stable, that draws me to Lightwave more.

Greenlaw
02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
10.1 is pretty darn stable, that draws me to Lightwave more.
I agree. 10.1 made a lot of things I've wanted to do in LW not only possible but practical even. There are still many things I'd like to see improved in LW but this release restored much of my enthusiasm for Newtek.

G.

kopperdrake
02-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been using AllSnap (http://ivanheckman.com/allsnap/) for years...it works great and it's free. Version 1.5 runs as a x64 version and, in spite of the warning on the developer's page, it seems compatible with just about everything.

G.

Thanks G, I'll have a butchers at that to see if it'll do the job for me :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
02-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah that's an excellent point. There are in fact a lot of practical things in Lightwave, one being the stability these days. It may be limited in some ways in regards to workflow being too linear, similar to building a house in reality. But like building things in reality that linear aspect can be learned and delt with practically too for a lot of projects. In the future I hope we can consolidate the tools more effectively so it's harder to break our setups and gain even more control without sacrificing the practical nature of LW.

waelkf
02-18-2012, 11:15 AM
started with lw5
modeler price and the amazing rendering quality, this is what drove me to lightwave

Bliz
02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
" LightWave has the biggest screen workspace like no other 3D
software" That is something that is still almost startling to me when I use other software in just how small their windows can be. It feels wonderful for my brain to have such a big window in Lightwave for my models yet have the tools I need just off to the side.

I don't want to act like a pedant and interrupt all these warm and fuzzy stories (that I'm genuinely finding interesting), but I can't let the assertion that LW has the biggest screen workspace go unchallenged.

Besides LW, I use three other 3D packages.

In Maya, hitting CNTRL + SPACE takes all the GUI away save for the top menu line

In Blender, hitting CNTRL + UP ARROW does a similar thing to Maya

And Max has 'expert mode' which if IIRC is CNTRL + E that takes all the GUI away, leaving you with right mouse click menus.

Now admittedly by default LW probably has the largest 3D real estate [when you first boot it up] but any non-n00b Maya/Max/Blender user will instinctively maximize their 3D space pretty soon after their scene has loaded up.

Now, back to our 'Lightwave Hive-mind war stories' :)

lwanmtr
02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes, you can take away all the UI buttons in Maya, Blender, etc......but in LW you dont have to do that to have a large workspace

Philbert
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Sure you can take the GUI away in other apps, but you lose the GUI. LW has the biggest workspace while still retaining it's GUI.

shadowshifter
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
HOW do you 3d on a single screen? :D I used to dual screen (and grumble whenever I was down to one for whatever reason) and have recently started triple screening. Don't know if I'd cope with any less ;)

lwanmtr
02-19-2012, 12:16 AM
:P I have two screens...but my gfx card, while being able to use them..it reaaaaaallly hates running open gl on 2 monitors. Believe me, replacing my Nvidia 8800gt with something a lil more capable is on my purchase list...after upgrading my lic to LW-11, of course.

Philbert
02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
replacing my Nvidia 8800gt with something a lil more capable is on my purchase list...after upgrading my lic to LW-11, of course.

Not long ago I replaced my 8800 gts with a GTX 470. Very noticeable difference.

lwanmtr
02-19-2012, 03:03 AM
Not as many choices for Mac Pro

tburbage
02-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I bought in when LW [6] was just released. Was dabbling with Strata as a total beginner at the time. I really wanted Softimage, but it was like $7000. Maya was new at that point, and also very expensive. I bought into LW because of the reputation of its polygonal modeler mostly, but really liked its relatively easy to use but powerful texturing/lighting/rendering pipeline. It also had a really good community built around it with knowledgeable, helpful people active in the forums.

bazsa73
02-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I am fond of Lightwave because it's untrendy and when people hears I use it they express a stupid facial expressure.

Barnard
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM

I just feel that the icons take too much space and are easy to mix up as opposed to clear text. Lightwave was my first experience in 3D, then I tried the trial versions of Maya and 3D Max.

I used the "Esential Lightwave 9" book to learn how to model and animate, though sometimes I wish I had gotten the same education from college so that I could get a job with the skill. I just couldn't bear to blow thousands of dollars for an education that I can get from Barnes and Noble for around $40.

I never invested in books for those programs, but just stuck with Lightwave's cleaner interface. Strangly though, Maya seems to get the most recognition with CGI. I don't get that.

lwanmtr
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Maya's character animation tools are very refined...thats the main reason it gets noticed... Lightwave, unfortunately, has been considered an underground app for a long time....alot of places use it, but behind the scenes...they only ever show their maya workstations to the press or clients...so they dont scare them away....clients will ohh and ahh if they think something was done in Maya...and get confused looks on their faces if Lightwave is mentioned...lol

shrox
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Icons are fine for "Cut, paste, copy, save, print", but beyond that they are pretty subjective. There are not common "root icons" like there are root works. Like "voxel" short for "volumetric pixel", "pixel" came from "picture element", you don't need to learn a whole new glyph language to extrapolate what they might mean..

erikals
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
icons are great for top row, where text takes too much space...

lwanmtr
02-21-2012, 04:54 PM
I dont care for icons that relate to tools..copy/paste, etc are ok...but i like reading the name of the tool. I use Maya and Max for some things, and even tools i use alot are confusing with the icons.