PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with lighting.

renderingfarmer
10-19-2003, 11:56 AM
I've come to the unhappy conclusion that my weakest skill is lighting, which may very well be one of the most important aspects of a rendered image.
Is there somewhere where I could find various tutorials explaining different lighting setups? Like indoor, outdoor, small or large areas, when to use radiosity, etc...

munky
10-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi Peter

you might want to look at [digital] Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn
ISBN 1-56205-954-8 It's quite expensive but very good also check Lightwave tutorials on the web and Flay.com

regards

Paul

renderingfarmer
10-19-2003, 01:18 PM
I was pleased to hear a book recommended; generally it's rare that I buy hard copy guides because I never know, in the long run, if it will be worth it. It's good to hear from people who know.

So Thanks! I'll be off to amazon.com now.

munky
10-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi again

just so you know I was given this book by a friend who uses Maya and he and his department all have it as a reference.

Not only does it cover lighting but shadows, qualities of light, colour theory, exposure,composition and staging, Materials and rendering plus a chapter on multipass rendering

It's jam packed with useful stuff which is relevant and None of the stuff in it is platform specific .

regards

paul

mattbolton
10-19-2003, 03:17 PM
I recently found this book on my local CompUSA's discount book rack, and picked it up for about $25. I have finished several chapters and it is good.

mlinde
10-20-2003, 09:46 AM
On the non-book front, there's a DVD out about cinematography (which tends to involve a lot of lighting, it seems) called "Visions of Light - The Art of Cinematography" that I liked a lot, and found somewhat inspirational, but it doesn't talk about lighting setups, if that's what your after, more mood and such.