PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEnc Plus?

3dfanatic
10-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi all,
does anybody know if it is required when saving from the toaster to TMPGEnc to have it also save to a fast drive or does that not matter? Also was wondering for the TMPGEnc to Ulead DVD authoring? Thanks for any help you can give.

Scott Bates
10-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Not to my knowledge since neither TMPGEnc nor DVDWkshp are needing to read or be fed a stream, they just need to read the files bit-by-bit (or byte-by-byte?) to do their things. Other opinions, or better yet, known facts, are welcome and encouraged.

Scott Bates
10-19-2003, 01:25 PM
addendum to above...

Thinking about your first question again, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "...saving from the toaster to TMPGEnc...". If you're talking about rendering your VT project to a single .rtv or .avi file then, no, you could save it to any drive you want to since streaming files aren't needed by TMPGEnc.

If however, you are going to have TMPGEnc use the VT-Edit project file (preferred) or the .avi wrapper (not preferred unless you render out a separate .wav audio file for TMPGEnc to use for the audio), then keep in mind that you will have to leave your original raw source files on the drives where they were located when you created the project (assumably your video stripe set for video and it's audio) since the VT-Edit project and avi-wrapper files only "pointers" to the original source material. You could move the source files however, if you use VT-Edit's spreadsheet to tell the project where the files have been moved to.

Jim_C
10-19-2003, 01:37 PM
My yadda yadda thinking is this,
If the program is caching or saving at a rate that matches or could exceed an ide drive, then try to save/render /set to a fast raid , scsi etc.
Example, TMPGENC, I don't think is saving your final product data at such a tremondous rate that an ide drive is holding it back, BUT the cache it uses probably writes info quickly so you SHOULD set it to your video drive. Its in the enviromental settings in TMPGenc.
Same with programs like Nero, or DVDXCopy that use a cache to store data at fast rates during burning/conversion. Set them to your video drives.
But I don't think final files from DVD WS or TMPGEnc save faster to a scsi, but the programs RUN faster if there temp cache is set to a SCSI drive.

Of course to tell you thruth, if I have the space on my scsi's I Always save any file from any program to it first. Just in case there is a speed adavantage, but I doubt I am really getting any from most programs. esp, Word.. lol

jim

Scott Bates
10-19-2003, 03:07 PM
yadda yadda yup, good points Jim, I forgot about the cache. I use the cache directory on my SCSI stripe set for TMPGEnc's cache and usually save TMPGenc's and DVDWkshp's files to my IDE stripe set until the DVD projects are done. I then archive my final .iso files elsewhere in case additional DVD copies are needed.

3dfanatic
10-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the information.