PDA

View Full Version : FOX news live shot color correction question Tricaster HD 300

dhaley
02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi guys,

We just picked up a live-shot at my studio for the "Miller Time" segment on Bill O'reily's show, and everything went fine, but when I see the video there is a lot of pink on Dennis' lips and chin. Check out the link to see what I mean:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1428282516001/miller-time-even-more-occupy-madness/?playlist_id=86923

My question is where is this coming from. I do live shows all the time, have a color corrected monitor and have only had one other problem (about 2 out of every 20 shows) with color correction, which I fix in post on those shows, so no big deal.

My camera was white balanced before the shot.
My monitor showed relative good color and FOX was happy.
When I went live with New York, FOX had me do a little more spill suppression, but again, my monitor didn't show "pink."
Nobody has commented on it, but it concerns me. As this is the only professional Tricaster forum I know of, and you guys have always came through for me, what do you guys think?

As always, I really appreciate your time.

~Dylan Haley
Director of Photography
Ampersand Studios, Santa Barbara

Silkrooster
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
To me it looks like the pink of Bill's tie is casting some pink onto the hand, and Dennis is using lipstick.
I don't think there is a color issue, the skin tones look excellent. But thats just my guess.

dhaley
02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you so much your reply.

The thing is, the tie and color of his lips was great on my monitor. And the make up artist used a very neutral color. There was no lipstick. Do you think FOX over corrected? I just want to make sure its not on my end, and if it was I want to correct accordingly.

One other thing is the color of Bill's blazer was the same as Dennis' and you can see that Dennis is much lighter. Is there something i can do, or have I done what I can?

Thanks again.

~Dylan Haley

Silkrooster
02-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Here is my interpretation of what Dennis should be. Like I said my interpretation. I hope this image, is considered fair use. Anyway if any issue, let Newtek know and someone can remove the image.
I did not touch Bill's side at all. Also note that I have not calibrated the monitor in awhile, so hopefully its close.

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2012, 05:16 AM
I would check on what you were sent, as well.
Something made his lip and ear areas much hotter than all the rest. The weirdest is it is SO focused as to effect only that area.

dhaley
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys. That is what gets me too is how focused the pink is. I have had this happen on another host a while back, and Dennis happened to be the guest on this one, but the host turns pink when blushing and you can see everyone else who is laughing has no pink. This was on the fly without make up...FOX's shoot has make-up. Could it be as simple as makeup, or is it a setting in the tricaster. Maybe I tinkered too much with spill suppression or something? Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks again guys!!!

~Dylan Haley

Silkrooster
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
On the image I updated, I set new white, grey and black points. The building, his teeth and his jacket were the points I used. Then clamped the blacks down about 10% and reduced saturation. As before the jacket and tie had a very noticeable green hue to them.
In your latest image, the skin tones look a bit washed out and I believe the guy in the white jacket in the right picture has a bit of high blood pressure. Laughing will make the skin turn red in a hurry. But thats just guessing.

SBowie
02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Exaggerated spill suppression settings can result in a bit of an extra magenta caste in affected areas. One or two of your examples looks like you could knock the saturation down a smidge, too, but others looks fine to me.

Silkrooster
02-06-2012, 12:01 AM
I think Steve may be right.
I would have thought if there was a true color correction problem, the skin tones would be off. Even though photoshop shows that the white, black and grey points could be better, I still have to say, that the original wasn't that bad. Its all up to the person doing the correction because color correction is an art in it self. It is in the eye of the beholder. One person could say its wrong and another thinks its perfect.

I am betting though if anyone did a bit of digging, they would find makeup was part of the issue you see.