PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to ever support DWG files natively?

Ade
10-19-2003, 10:28 AM
I would say this would be to lightwaves advantage to support this autocad format natively...
I know theres a royalty to use dwg, would it be worth it?

10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
I suspect that it would not be all that much use if it did.
Much of the stuff my office creates is initially drawn up in ACAD, and as with most users it comprises a large number of individual drawing files Xref'd into assebled drawings and then Xref'd again into presentation drawings with lots of paperspace posrts, dimensions and annotations.
These are neccesary because an ACAD drawing usually contains the whole of the inside structure of an object, often right down to the screwthreads insid the nuts on the bolts on.....
If you do bind all the xrefs and explode all the solids and export as 3ds to get the surfaces and then export again as dxfs to get the lines which are not surfaces and therefor don't come out in the 3DS file - then you get at least ten times as much model as you want or need.
If the export/transfer process was simplified you would still get ten times as much as you needed.
The 2 formats have quite different purposes, but if you do want to build things in ACAD that are suitable for use in LW then 3DS should be fine - remembering that 3DS polys are all triangles !
Personally, I just explode and dxf and use the result as a template to make my LW model over. - replacing things like repeated ACAD drawings of trusses detailed to the last rivet with repeated LW models of the same thing at minimal detail apropriate to the renders to be done.
Theres still no substitute for the human brain.

Ade
10-20-2003, 10:26 AM
If LW could import dwg files we could utilise snap to pojnt features embedded into the dwg.

using 3ds is no alternative, i hate the program!

Many CAD users always ask if lightwave can use dwg, its a winning potential which only 3ds, rhino and form z have an advantage on.

10-20-2003, 10:32 AM
You're talking about referencing ACAD from inside LW, not importing dwgs!
That snap-to floating-point precision is the great advantage of ACAD, but I don't think it's that high on the wish-list for most LW users - it would have to be built in to LW at a major upgrade.