PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #157 Speakers

XswampyX
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #157 Speakers
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic is : Speakers. I'm looking for a new set of speakers. So give me an idea of what's out there. They can be desktop, large free standing, old, new or novelty. Even the ones you have got. Bonus points for the most outrageously expensive ones!

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline: Wed. 8th February 2012. 22:00 G.M.T

Waves of light
02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
60 mins you say... now that sounds doable :angel:

XswampyX
02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Heh... and you can mirror one, to make the other! - so that's could be 30 mins. Actually if you mirror the left side to the right side and then mirror for the other speaker that could be down to only 15 mins. :thumbsup:

Iain
02-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Cool-I just bought a TV and a sound bar. The difference between that the crappy speakers they cram into a 20mm panel is amazing.

Think I'll knock that up.

XswampyX
02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Cool-I just bought a TV and a sound bar. The difference between that the crappy speakers they cram into a 20mm panel is amazing.

Think I'll knock that up.

Yep you buy a TV for 500 and It sounds like a transistor radio from the 70's.

While searching for speakers, I got distracted....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MiniMarshallWired.jpg

XswampyX
02-03-2012, 12:03 AM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MiniMarshall2Small.jpg

oliversimonnet
02-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Brilliant work as always XswampyX :)

Iain
02-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Nice amp!
I got a bit distracted myself-don't know what it was but I think every home should have one of these.
The main body came from an imported figure so I'll disqualify myself right away..........................

XswampyX
02-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys. :)

Nice tweeters Iain, can't help but think the sound might be a bit 'muffled' with the input, erm 'down there'.

Iain
02-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Yik yik. Fnaaar.:hey:

mis
02-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Waaaauuu

thats one sweet little marshall

Waves of light
02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
I take it that' a male to female iPod connection?

Iain
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
I take it that' a male to female iPod connection?

Yep and there's a cheeky little volume tweaker in front of the jack.

Waves of light
02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Yep and there's a cheeky little volume tweaker in front of the jack.

Oh yes, the 'volume override' bit fiddly, but very powerful :D.

Anyway, been checking out speaker sites and I'll try and knock something up over the weekend. Well busy at the moment. Funnily enough, setting up my surround sound, TV and network in the front room.

Crossfire
02-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Here's my entry! Just a quick modern layout. Sorry for the dense mesh. I froze the model before taking the screen grab. Good entries so far!!:thumbsup:

Iain
02-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Very interesting design Crossfire.
Nicely modelled too :thumbsup:

Bax33
02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Ran about 65-70 min.

Waves of light
02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Nice sub-d modelling Bax33, shame it's just over the time limit. You gonna do another one?

XswampyX
02-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Looks good Crossfire & Bax33. Diggin' them wires. :thumbsup:

My old speakers.... coming soon to ebay.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ComSpeakersSml.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CommodoreSpeakersWired.jpg

Crossfire
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks good Crossfire & Bax33. Diggin' them wires. :thumbsup:

My old speakers.... coming soon to ebay.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ComSpeakersSml.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CommodoreSpeakersWired.jpg

Nice Job Swampy!:thumbsup: Quick Question, I also see your renders and your depth of field always looks so clean. Are you using the native DOF in Lightwave or are you using one of the image filters?

XswampyX
02-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Hello Crossfire.

It's native LW DOF, but I am using LW11 and DOF has been improved. :)
I normally render out at 1024x800 and resize down to 800x600.
Most of my renders also get put through Photomatix.

Cheers!

Creativetone
02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
This is my "little" entry.

Modelling took me whole 60min.
... and please let's not talk about texturing and lighting. :D

Waves of light
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
@XswampyX: Lol, I actually had a pair of those at one of the places I worked for. They used to buzz when there wasn't any sound coming through!

@Creativetone: Nice, very nice. Not connecting the large to the small model doesn't have an effect on the final render, but let's not talk about texturing and lighting... lol. Seriously, only joking man.

Crossfire
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Hello Crossfire.

It's native LW DOF, but I am using LW11 and DOF has been improved. :)
I normally render out at 1024x800 and resize down to 800x600.
Most of my renders also get put through Photomatix.

Cheers!

Gotcha! I guess it's time for me to upgrade! Still using 9.6 haha!:thumbsup:

Iain
02-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Gotcha! I guess it's time for me to upgrade! Still using 9.6 haha!:thumbsup:

The DOF in 9.6 is excellent if you use it properly.
I posted this on another thread.............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

Bax33
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Wnated to try and make a cartoon speaker. It doesn't seem to be as tooney as I wanted it though. However, it was under an hour even with the notes.

XswampyX
02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Creativetone - nice munny dolls, love the render.

Bax33 - Looks very loud.

Ref the cartoon look, there was a thread on here about getting a cartoon look by copying your object into a new layer, resize it (larger) with the point normal move tool and then flipping it. This gives a nice out line effect if done right.

Bax33
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Ref the cartoon look, there was a thread on here about getting a cartoon look by copying your object into a new layer, resize it (larger) with the point normal move tool and then flipping it. This gives a nice out line effect if done right.

I tried what you suggested and came up with this. I had to move the second layer around in layout in order to get to this. If I didn't it came out near black. If I moved it too far, it came out looking like the original. It looks different now, but I still need to work on my renderings as well as everything else.

XswampyX
02-06-2012, 03:02 PM
That's the fun of these challenges. :thumbsup:

I forgot to say, you need to un-tick cast shadows on the outline layer or it will cast a shadow all over your main object.

It should look like this...

Cheers!

Creativetone
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
@Waves of light - Thanks, and... ok I should only say that I just love LightWave's procedural texturing.
There is huge possibilities even without Nodes. (I just found that there is Blending Mode "Texture Displacement") :D

@XswampyX - You are my idol :) Those old speakers are great. btw. I just tried to look if you have website/portfolio somewhere.

Thanks to all other participants.

And yes these speed modelling challenges are really fun and good way to improve skills.

I try to attend more often these challenges.

Twisted_Pixel
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I may try something for this tomorrow, just got some new speakers :)

Crossfire
02-08-2012, 04:55 AM
The DOF in 9.6 is excellent if you use it properly.
I posted this on another thread.............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

Excellent Tip!:thumbsup: I don't know why this didn't occur to me......:cursin:

MDSPECIFIC
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Altec Lansing 5100, my first 5.1 audio system.
I have them almost seven years and they still sound perfect.

Modeling 45min, texturing/lightning 25min.

XswampyX
02-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Iain - Bodyspeakers - Disqualified yourself - Lovely render.... I'd have a pair. :D
Crossfire - Modern Speakers. - Great wires! Showing nice control going from the flat plane to the rounded speaker surrounds. Would make a good car door speaker set.
Bax33 - Pretty minimalistic wires, but all in the right places, Sharp detailing around and in the speakers! With a pretty smooth render too. Smart job.
Creativetone - Munny doll - WOW! Love the wires, they speak for themselves. Cool render as well. What more can I say.... It deserves a thread of it's own. :hey:
Bax33 - Fisher Price? radio - Good wires again, needs a bit more work on the edges of the control panel, but hey. It's all there with your control loops and It is a speed challenge after all. Expecting great things in the near future. :thumbsup:
MDSPECIFIC - Altec Lansing - Another great entry from you. The modelling is fantastic, love the way the two meshes, well... erm... mesh and the render is so cool 'n' basic. (in a good way.)

On to the winner - Creativetone for the Munny doll speakers. It's a joy to look at.

Well done all!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/TooLoudSmall.jpg

Twisted_Pixel
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Impressive work all. Still planning to get something up here, even though it's past deadline.

Waves of light
02-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Congratulations Creativetone, love the wires on that one.

@MDSPECIFIC wow, that's some damn fine modelling within the time limit. Bravo.

Crossfire
02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Great Job All!!:thumbsup:

Creativetone
02-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Oh.. Thanks! I am a bit suprised.
My munny speaker model is so simple, but it is quite cute, I think :)

There were so nice and more complex modelling here.
Plus some very nice renderings.

These challenges are really interesting.
I really hope that I have time to attend more often these.

Nangleator
02-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Buddy of mine had a set of electrostatic speakers like these. (http://www.redferret.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/martinloganelectrostaticspeakers.jpg)

Friggin science fiction, they were. Just a metal grate with a sheet of mylar coated over them. How did they make sound? But they did. Beautifully, assuming you were sitting in the one sweet spot.

Bax33
02-09-2012, 07:50 AM
A lot of nice speakers. Congrats to Creativetone. Looked at the separate thread, really nice speaker tecture and appreciate your willingness to share. In fact, its quite refreshing to see how many people on this site share their knowledge.

MDSPECIFIC
02-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Congrats Creativetone!
Very nice entries from all!

Iain
02-17-2012, 06:56 AM
These challenges are really interesting.
I really hope that I have time to attend more often these.

Well, I'm afraid the only prize on offer is that you get to start the next challenge!
If you need a hand, let us know.

Creativetone
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM
@Iain - Oukei, did not knew the rulez!

There is next challenge! (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1220719#post1220719)