PDA

View Full Version : Any way to save plugins/settings and recall them?

Ryan Roye
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
My computer recently took a dive and I may have no choice but to do a system wipe and start over... fortunately I know how to back everything up even though my hard drive's partition is dead.

My big concern is that this means I'll have to completely re-install and place back into the menu upwards of 40 plugins in addition to the keyboard settings i've changed over the years of using Lightwave.

Is there any way to back this stuff up so that when I re-install Lightwave I'm not left with a ton of additional setup to do?

I also figured this would be handy when I need to take my work with me and have to work on a system away from my home.

nickdigital
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Back up your config files. Some plug-ins like Bandsaw Pro write out their own config file. Also after you setup your menu and keyboard shortcuts you can save out that configuration file as well.

Ryan Roye
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
By default where are these files located? I'm not seeing anything in the newtek folder that implies anything about config files...

geo_n
01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Zip up your whole lw install folder. It doesn't need to be installed like other appz. Only sentinel drivers need to be installed.
When I use lw on other pc I just unzip lw install folder to same directory/drive and install sentinel and its like I'm using my pc.
Btw this works if you redirected your config files to your lw install folder, too. Forgot about that.

nickdigital
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
By default where are these files located? I'm not seeing anything in the newtek folder that implies anything about config files...

If you're using 10 it'll be in your users/.NewTek folder.

If you use the -c and -p shortcut flags you can specify where your config files get written.

RebelHill
02-01-2012, 03:15 AM
if its just menus and keys... edit menus>save/load, edit keys>save/load

Ryan Roye
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
if its just menus and keys... edit menus>save/load, edit keys>save/load

Bingo! You're a lifesaver RH, thanks! I didn't realize those options existed in that dialogue. I'll experiment with copy/pasting to another system too and see if my settings transfer properly.

Thanks for the replies all, I got things sorted out on my end.

Ryan Roye
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't mean to necro a post, but I felt compelled to put a final note should anyone else search on this topic:

The following steps summarize how to easily recall all settings:

1) In keyboard shortcuts and edit menu layout, there are save options (as mentioned above), use them to save your keyboard shortcuts and menu layout. REMEMBER to do this for both layout and modeler!

2) Make a copy of the folder that holds all of your Lightwave plugins.

3) Say you have a fresh install... paste the plugins folder back into Lightwave, then, under the "utilities" tab, pick "edit plugins", then select "scan directory". It should register every single plugin you have in your LW folder.

4) Load the keyboard shortcuts and menu layout from the files you saved earlier. This makes for an easy way to re-install Lightwave or transfer Lightwave to a different computer while retaining your settings.