PDA

View Full Version : OT: YEAH!!!! Xmas has come early!!!

Matt
10-19-2003, 07:03 AM
FINALLY! Apple have released iTunes for Windows!!!!

This was one of the programs I missed when I moved from Mac, now I'll never have to use that 'orrible Windows Media Player ever again! Ahhhh bliss!

:)

Get your copy here! (http://www.apple.com/itunes/)

lord
10-19-2003, 07:54 AM
Hey Matt

That's great news,

I've been looking for a replacement for itunes myself since migrating to windows.
I've been using winamp 3, which isn't too bad in comparison.

I just love the way iTunes organises stuff.

Are you finding it much of a hog on your system or is it fairly quiet?

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 07:57 AM
:) I have to admit I was nosy. After the media import kept hanging on playlists or .ogg files, I went back to my trusted QCD (http://www.quinnware.com/).

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 08:00 AM
lord:
I don't really know how it performs on a Mac, I found it to be quite sluggish compared to QCD , then again, I run a fairly slow machine...
And beware of other file types if you mass import directories, it likes to hang.
They only really nice feature I found were the auto play lists...

lord
10-19-2003, 08:04 AM
It's the way itunes allows you to organise your playlists so easily that I liked about it. WinAmp 3 does a good job of this as well, and it dosn't seem to be as much of hog as WinAmp 2. I've used QCD myself in the past, and my workmate swears by it.

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi lord,
I don't swear (..in that context ;) ), but I really like it. Then again, never got along with Winamp, and I can't be fussed to organize any playlists either (I just let QCD play album after album, I have my complete CD collection on HD...).

Limbus
10-19-2003, 08:23 AM
The 20MB+ Download is holding me from trying it out and since Winamp 5 Beta is sooo nice, i dont know if I will get it at all.

How much memory does iTunes use under Windows?

Florian

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi Limbus,
Hm, roughly 31 MB or so...

Limbus
10-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Hi Limbus,
Hm, roughly 31 MB or so...

Ouch! Thats a lot for just a player.
But I guess I will check it out anyway.

anieves
10-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Matt
FINALLY! Apple have released iTunes for Windows!!!!

This was one of the programs I missed when I moved from Mac, now I'll never have to use that 'orrible Windows Media Player ever again! Ahhhh bliss!

:)

Get your copy here! (http://www.apple.com/itunes/)

I'm right there with you Matt.

I downloaded it as soon as it was announced. It was the only app I missed when I got my PC.... well, that and FCP but I can live without FCP... Love iTunes!

Matt
10-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Yeah I used WinAMP for a while but stopped after I realised it couldn't play mixed CDs (always had a blip when tracks changed) so I went back to Windows Media Player.

Lord I like iTunes for the same reason, really simple navigation / organisation of tunes. WMP just doesn't get it!

My iTunes uses about 20mb, which I guess is a lot, but I have 1GB of ram so it's not so bad really.

I don't find it sluggish on my machine either, but I do have a Dual Xeon!

Matt

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 08:57 AM
My iTunes uses about 20mb, which I guess is a lot, but I have 1GB of ram so it's not so bad really.
Hi Matt,
on my machine there are two more tasks, iTunesHelper and iPodService, installed and started by iTunes, they take another 10Mb.
...Not that it really matters nowadays...
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
10-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, didn't see those! it's a small sacrifice to rid myself of WMP!

Just need to re-encode all the WMAs to AAC!

That's a point actually, do you encode as MP3 so it's compatible with other players or do you go the AAC route?

Shame iTunes won't allow you to convert AAC to MP3.

Lightwolf
10-19-2003, 09:13 AM
I used to keep it all on MP3, nowadays all of my new encodes are ogg vorbis though ( http://www.vorbis.com just because I like open source I guess...).
I've never used WMP though, yeurck... ;)

DaveW
10-19-2003, 12:48 PM

Lord I like iTunes for the same reason, really simple navigation / organisation of tunes. WMP just doesn't get it!

I don't want this to degrade into a iTunes vs. WMP war, but what organisational features does iTunes have that WMP doesn't have? I got 'em both and I didn't really notice any difference as far as organization of music.

dwburman
10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
I never really use iTunes much beyond playing internet radio and sometimes MP3s. all my MP3s are on PCs. I've been a winamp use for a long time but I don't really bother with playlists at all. I just have all my music in one playlist and shuffle it. winamp2 is nice because of all the visualizations and plug-ins including one that lets you control it with a remote if you have an IR receiver.

I would think that MusicMatch is more similar to iTunes than Winamp. I'd suggest that you try that app, but you now have iTunes.

I don't think iTunes as a player on the PC is that terribly significant (because I don't use all of its features). Opening up the iTunes store to Windose users is very significant.

I generally don't use WMP for much other than playing non-divx AVI and windows media files... and I guess mpgs.

novadesigns
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
What's really cool is that iTunes does everything and all in one app. It rips, it burns, it plays, it organizes... and you never have to save out playlist files, it does it automatically. I really like it, and I think it sounds better too.

Ill tell you one thing, WinAmp 3 played holy hell with Lightwave, I couldn't wait to get that off of my machine! ;) :p

Matt
10-20-2003, 02:22 AM
I know other apps have similar features, but iTunes is just designed better, it's simple not over the top like WinAMP, and WMP is just nasty, typical MS bloat-ware!

I guess it's just each to his own! :)

dwburman
10-20-2003, 09:06 AM
I never quite got the hang of Winamp 3. I haven't noticed any LW interference though.

Music Match is also an all inclusive product (rip, burn, play organize, etc.)

Personally, I kind of like using a series of specialized apps than one app that tries to do everything. Why should I have a rip/burn/organize app open and running when all I want is a player. Maybe Its just a habit from the days when RAM was very expensive and scarce :)

pixelmonk
10-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by dwburman
I never quite got the hang of Winamp 3. I haven't noticed any LW interference though.

Music Match is also an all inclusive product (rip, burn, play organize, etc.)

Personally, I kind of like using a series of specialized apps than one app that tries to do everything. Why should I have a rip/burn/organize app open and running when all I want is a player. Maybe Its just a habit from the days when RAM was very expensive and scarce :)

Usually the "all-in-one" apps lack in each area they try to add as a feature. Just because WMP burns a CD doesn't mean I'll stop using Nero. Just because Nero plays MP3s doesn't mean I'll stop using Winamp. I found that some apps are better than others and sacrifice the HD space and registry entries just to have them installed.

meshmaster
10-20-2003, 11:47 AM
I downloaded I tunes on my work computer and use it to play internet radio. I used windows media player/winamp prior to this. The one thing that I do have to say about Itunes that is positive is that when you computer locks after the screen saver comes off the sound from the itunes app is gone! That's not so with some other music players. Nice for a work environment since it shuts off your tunes when you leave but leaves the app open for you to listen in later but your coworkers don't have to listen in while you are out to lunch.

anieves
10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
and another thing... iTunes has the best implementation of a music store, period.

Stranahan
10-20-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm not going to name names, but one of you bastards had to go and tell me about this in an IM a few days ago...and damn, it is good. I've been using Itunes over MusicMatch all weekend...

Oh, and I blame Pearl Jam, too, for releasing 68 or so new albums in their bootleg series, so I had to try to find the penultimate version of Black. (I recommend Buffalo, although the crowd in Mexico City is amazing, too....)

anieves
10-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Stranahan
I'm not going to name names, but one of you bastards had to go and tell me about this in an IM a few days ago...and damn, it is good. I've been using Itunes over MusicMatch all weekend...

Oh, and I blame Pearl Jam, too, for releasing 68 or so new albums in their bootleg series, so I had to try to find the penultimate version of Black. (I recommend Buffalo, although the crowd in Mexico City is amazing, too....)

LOL! it wasn't me...
I can see that an ipod is in your near future:D

DaveW
10-21-2003, 01:35 PM
I know other apps have similar features, but iTunes is just designed better, it's simple not over the top like WinAMP, and WMP is just nasty, typical MS bloat-ware!

I agree that iTunes has a better interface, but I don't understand how you can call WMP bloatware when it uses less than half the memory iTunes does.

and another thing... iTunes has the best implementation of a music store, period.

By far the best online music store, for digital music anyway. I really wish they would add physical CD's to their store though. Digital format is cool for some bands, but for others I want the liner notes and any other goodies the CD comes with. Some of them include videos and interviews and behind the scenes stuff that you don't get if you just download the tracks. And some artists really go all out, like Rob Zombie . His latest CD has 19 songs, 2 that were previously unreleased and 5 that have guest artists like Iggy Pop and even Howard Stern. It also includes a DVD with 10 videos, 3 that were previously unreleased. And it has a little 33 page booklet with a ton of pictures from Rob's entire musical career, and a introduction by Alice Cooper. And it only costs $14. ITMS can't compete with that. I'd love it if you could order a CD, and while you wait for it to ship you are allowed to download the entire album.

Matt
10-21-2003, 03:29 PM
does it! never checked! to me bloat-ware has two meanings, one is the memory issue, the other is the clunky, over-complicated, lacking in finesse way a program may operate, WMP is certainly that!

JohnL
10-21-2003, 04:04 PM
I downloaded iTunes this weekend as well. I'm unimpressed.

I've used Musicmatch for several years now and like it a lot. Especially the "Now Playing" function which has taught me a lot about the music I enjoy as well as help me find new artists that I never knew about before.