PDA

View Full Version : Render issues

eureka
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi Guys
When i render out using QT attached is how it comes out!!
No BG using LW11..mind u it happened using LW10.1 too...
Any ideas...
Also when i render out using RGB it does the same thing....
thanks in advance

3DGFXStudios
01-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Probably the alpha. But it remember it's always better to render to a image sequence, like TGA32 of OpenEXR if you want to comp it later....

eureka
01-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Even my sequences are turning out like that..
I tried changing the alpha format from "premultiply alpha" to "unpremultiply alpha" ..but no luck there either...any other thoughts..maybe im missing something...
its giving me the s**ts....
cheers

3DGFXStudios
01-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Have you checked the render in after effects with ignore alpha enabled? Do you have some strange image filters applied?

eureka
01-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Have you checked the render in after effects with ignore alpha enabled? Do you have some strange image filters applied?

I will try that..no image filters..btw it happened when i installed FCP-X..crap program...
Im going to uninstall& restart and see what happens, if you think of anything else..that would be great...
cheers

lardbros
01-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Have you tried turning off any hardware acceleration in QT? I've had major issues with that in the past on my old machine... seems fine in Win7, but on XP machines it was horrid. Worth a go??

eureka
01-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Have you tried turning off any hardware acceleration in QT? I've had major issues with that in the past on my old machine... seems fine in Win7, but on XP machines it was horrid. Worth a go??

Hi there..im using a mac!!
I wondering would that be the same for QT Mac??

eureka
01-30-2012, 03:40 AM

Hi Again
That worked.."ignoring the alpha in AE"
but why is QT giving me this issue..never an issue B4..
I would rather just export out using QT personally...
I know its the wrong thing to do in case of a crash but hey..ive been doing it like that since LW5.5..hehe
cheers

eureka
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Its definitely an alpha issue in LW...but i cant work out how "not have an alpha.."
any ideas

eureka
01-30-2012, 04:28 AM
Attached is how it renders out..no problem...anyone got a fix??

3DGFXStudios
01-30-2012, 04:33 AM
If you save in a format without alpha like a 24 bit format you won't get an alpha.
An other trick is to put an invisible poly in your scene. (unseen by camera and rays etc)

UnCommonGrafx
01-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Yup, having Nothing there only leaves the plane in the alpha.
A 24 bit format is what you want.

eureka
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
If you save in a format without alpha like a 24 bit format you won't get an alpha.
An other trick is to put an invisible poly in your scene. (unseen by camera and rays etc)

Im going to try the invisible poly...

So in my situation i want to render out in QT, how would i do that???...
How can i make that a 24 bit??

cheers

nickdigital
01-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Render to an image sequence first and then compile the frames into a QT int something like After Effects, Premiere, QTPro, etc.

Choose TGA24 or PNG24 as your image file format in LW. That won't render with an alpha channel.

eureka
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
i will give that a try...but thats so time consuming....

eureka
01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
The problem with this of course that once you import the sequence you have to lay out the images one by one in the timeline...is there any other way..like importing all the images and let say AE or Premier lay it out so you dont have to adjust each frame??

probiner
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM
AE does exacltly that. From the top of my head, while opening the file, Select the first frame file and check the box that tells AE that it's an image sequence. Don't forget to configure the clip to have the proper FPS.
Cheers

nickdigital
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
The problem with this of course that once you import the sequence you have to lay out the images one by one in the timeline...is there any other way..like importing all the images and let say AE or Premier lay it out so you dont have to adjust each frame??

If you're using AE, an easier way to import a sequence is to drag the folder that holds the sequence into AE. I prefer doing that instead of navigating through the file requester.

eureka
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Why do i keep getting alpha on my QT on my exports...
Its really pissing me off..any ideas pls...Ive gone down the export image sequence..thing..but i have to edit every frame individually...in Premiere or AE..
Is this a bug or something??

JamesCurtis
01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Have you checked your Preferences Settings in AE or Premiere?

eureka
01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
What preference am i supposed to check??...Anyway are we missing the point..i want to use the QT renderer...why cant i..i know i sound like im nagging but has anyone else got this issue..or its just me??

Danner
01-31-2012, 03:09 AM
just you, everyone else can find the file import settings in after fx and tell it to ignore alpha.

eureka
01-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Why do i keep getting alpha on my QT on my exports...
Its really pissing me off..any ideas pls...Ive gone down the export image sequence..thing..but i have to edit every frame individually...in Premiere or AE..
Is this a bug or something??

I found that...see above...
but do i have to drag and drop every frame into the timeline or is there an easier way??
Cheers

Danner
01-31-2012, 05:26 AM
When you import into AFX you should tick the "sequence" checkbox if you are importing image sequences, if you import movies right click on it in the project bin and select "interpret footage" and tick "ignore alpha".

eureka
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
i will give that a crack..standby

eureka
01-31-2012, 06:26 PM
When you import into AFX you should tick the "sequence" checkbox if you are importing image sequences, if you import movies right click on it in the project bin and select "interpret footage" and tick "ignore alpha".

Hi Danner,
When i import into AE i do check the Sequence box...but when i import into the timeline every frame starts and ends the same...so i have to manually move every image to make this work..
...This is too hard...and time consuming ..

**update....it works!! i just imported selecting TGA as the file type then it converts all images into one file...***
thxs for your help..
BTW...But i still want to know why Qt renders with an alpha....any ideas???

Dexter2999
01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Why QT renders with an Alpha? Because it's there.

Image sequences are better than straight to QT historically because if for some reason your render gacks in the middle with a QT you start over at frame 1. With an image sequence you start with the last finished frame. (And your render doesn't have to "gack." If you are working on a laptop you may just want to stop and go somewhere else which would halt the render.)

Now that you see how "Auto detect image sequence" works, which do you think is more "time consuming" ? Also take into consideration using a rendering farm which do you think is faster?

There are good reasons for working with image sequences. It will also get you used to working with sequences for when you start using separate render passes for compositing purposes.

kopperdrake
02-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Sequences all the way - I can't remember the last time I trusted an animation file direct from LightWave unless it's a quick render test, but even then it's so easy to drop it into AE and produce the animation file from an image sequence there

Rendering to an animation file from LW introduces data loss to your original image sequence due to the compression technique your chosen codec is applying. Rendering out of LW to an image sequence ensures you always have all of the original data intact in each frame. Plus, when a client asks you for the animation in another format because they're missing the codec you used to compress and can't play it back, or they want it to play back on a specific piece of hardware, then you just go into After Effects and output the animation, using the original image sequence, using another animation codec that will work.

Dexter2999
02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't even change app's.

I just open a new scene and set the image sequence to the backdrop and output AVI/MOV I need all inside LW. I find this easier to do because the machine I am working on will always be one with LW but may not always be one with AE. (Although I do tend to have Quicktime Pro on every machine if possible.)