PDA

View Full Version : Buying LW 5.6 New-Upgrade Legal???

sinthetic
10-19-2003, 03:04 AM
Hello, can anyone tell me (hopefully someone from NT) if buying this software new/sealed from ebay is legal, and upgradeable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3632154083&category=185

I see them all over the place and they include Aura whatever that is...but I want to make sure these are legit as far as NT is concerned? I don't have a need to upgrade right away, but when I do, I will want a USB dongle for Mac, not the PC.

Please, if anyone has an answer I would appreciate it. TIA

TyVole
10-19-2003, 03:45 AM
According to this:

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave.htm

"NOTE: If you are not a registered user of any previous stand alone version of LightWaveŽ, have purchased new after January 1, 2003 and it has never been registered with NewTek, then you can upgrade to the very latest 3D software for only $1195!"

sinthetic
10-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, didn't get my answer really. That link points to a quote which is obvious, if you don't own LW you can buy it for full price! Well, that I knew. Why is it called an upgrade?!?!?!

It also says if you are a previous registered owner of ANY version, you can upgrade for $495.

If anyone has a more concise answer as to whether or not I should buy the old version (5.6) and then can legally later upgrade to 8, please shed some light.

I am just a little worried at the amount of these LW v5.6 software I see available on ebay, is there something I am missing?!?

Thanks again, I really need the answer.

bloontz
10-19-2003, 12:51 PM
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/upgradefaq.html
The next to last item should help

sinthetic
10-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks Bloontz, unfortunately I think I have found the answer, and all those ebayers are liars! And NT isn't that cool about it either.

From NT

Q.
"What if I have an opportunity to purchase new an older version of a NewTek product, may it be upgraded?"

A.
"Yes, however if the product was purchased new after January 1, 2003 and it has never been registered with NewTek the cost of upgrading will $1195."

So, no I shouldn't buy it because it is TOTALLY POINTLESS! Why is NT charging FULL PRICE TO UPGRADE!?!?!?! That is a joke, "if purchased after Jan 2003", wtf?

Well, looks like I will never own this piece of software, I don't have $1200. LOL, change the word "upgrade" NT that is BS to say it is an "upgrade" when you are in fact re-purchasing the software all over, not upgrading!

bloontz
10-19-2003, 01:40 PM
I think that if you can find a version that has been registered previously and you have the registration transfered to your name that you will be able to upgrade for the regular $495. I would ask Newtek first though. Obviously the offers for unopened versions aren't registered as I believe you need to get the dongle number to register it.

WizCraker
10-19-2003, 01:45 PM
sinthetic wrote:
So, no I shouldn't buy it because it is TOTALLY POINTLESS! Why is NT charging FULL PRICE TO UPGRADE!?!?!?!?

Because $1195 is still an upgrade as the Full version is:

LightWave 3D -- Full Version

With DFX+ including Modules 1 & 4
LightWaveŽ [7.5] plus eyeon DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4, Mac/PC Duo-Dongle -- $1,595

The current special is you get DFX+ with the price of the Full Version.

You are mis reading the page where it says:

If you are a registered LightWave owner , you can upgrade to the very latest in 3D software and get eyeon's DFX+ including the Visual Effects and 3D Modules for only $495!

You have to be a previous owner of Lightwave before January 1, 2003 . If you buy a version of 5.6 off of ebay after that date even if it is sealed and technically new you would not qualify for the $495 price as it says in The Black Bold Letters above. However if you would of bought 5.6 before the Pink date above and would have registered before that date you would have qualified for the upgrade price of $495.

That is a joke, "if purchased after Jan 2003", wtf

No it is not, its a way to prevent people from cheating Newtek out of money that they deserve for developing newer versions of their software. Autodesk and Alias do the same thing.

sinthetic
10-19-2003, 03:11 PM
I didn't misread it, I even posted it to make my point.

Quote:
"No it is not, its a way to prevent people from cheating Newtek out of money that they deserve for developing newer versions of their software. Autodesk and Alias do the same thing."

How is NT getting cheated? If someone buys the software a few years ago new retail, and then decides to sell it after never registering it, how is that in any way cheating NT? They got paid either way, it shouldn't be all about "registering" the software!

I got my answers, and that was my last ditch effort to buy the app, oh well...thanks for the responses I appreciate it.