PDA

View Full Version : GoZ Question

c5m7b4
01-28-2012, 06:39 PM
I just bought ZBrush and I was trying to play around with the new GoZ features that version 11 of lightwave has. When I am in modeler and I go to the IO tab and click GoZ nothing happens. What am I missing? Also I noticed that GoZ is only available on the import section and not the export section. Does anybody have any more information on how I can get this integration to work?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

steve0077
01-28-2012, 08:03 PM
You have to go into ZBrush and set up goZ for any software you want to connect with i.e.
lightwave, modo, scupltris, etc.

eagleeyed
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
I didnt have to go into Zbrush first, try pressing it in Layout instead of Modeller.

First time I ever used GoZ, I just pressed the button in LightWave, it installed the appropiate stuff and launched zBrush perfectly.

When you press GoZ Zbrush should load, then once done, just hit the GoZ button in Zbrush to send the model back to LightWave.

So zBrush doesnt even open when you press the button?

Silkrooster
01-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I just bought ZBrush and I was trying to play around with the new GoZ features that version 11 of lightwave has. When I am in modeler and I go to the IO tab and click GoZ nothing happens. What am I missing? Also I noticed that GoZ is only available on the import section and not the export section. Does anybody have any more information on how I can get this integration to work?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

does zbrush run normally? any errors?

eagleeyed
01-28-2012, 10:58 PM
What version of zBrush are you using aswell?
I have just switched to 4r2b and now have lost all interaction with the apps, so some bug may be there.

Reinstalling everything now to see if it fixes it.

EDIT: There may be something up with intergration with the new Zbrush which would be effecting you aswell. Not getting anything happening either now, even after full reinstall of both.

UnCommonGrafx
01-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Working like a champ here.
Did nothing special.
Would like some clarification on how modeler works, I have to admit. So far, it's been goz<>layout<>hub-to-Modeler.

c5m7b4
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I am using Lightwave 11.0 64 bit windows and zbrush 4R2B. All the latest and greatest. I just purchased zBrush yesterday. Either pressing GoZ in layout or modeler nothing happens, and when I press GoZ in ZBrush it loads up the install path for Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop(cool), Cinema 4D, Modo, and sculptris. I tried using GoZ from within Layout and nothing appeared to happen but when I went back into ZBrush and went to the GoZ settings, layout and modeler showed up. I tried to export the default dog tool and I got an error from ZBRush saying that it could not create the file in my Users folder so I manually created the folder that showed up in the error box and after that I was able to GoZ the tool into modeler. Now also I have been able to modify the dog in modeler and when I press GoZ, everything works. Just though I would throw that out there for everybody. This is absolutely the coolest thing ever. Now I need to play with the Photoshop integration. Hey, eagleeyed, see if that gets you working again.

Silkrooster
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I am using Lightwave 11.0 64 bit windows and zbrush 4R2B. All the latest and greatest. I just purchased zBrush yesterday. Either pressing GoZ in layout or modeler nothing happens, and when I press GoZ in ZBrush it loads up the install path for Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop(cool), Cinema 4D, Modo, and sculptris. I tried using GoZ from within Layout and nothing appeared to happen but when I went back into ZBrush and went to the GoZ settings, layout and modeler showed up. I tried to export the default dog tool and I got an error from ZBRush saying that it could not create the file in my Users folder so I manually created the folder that showed up in the error box and after that I was able to GoZ the tool into modeler. Now also I have been able to modify the dog in modeler and when I press GoZ, everything works. Just though I would throw that out there for everybody. This is absolutely the coolest thing ever. Now I need to play with the Photoshop integration. Hey, eagleeyed, see if that gets you working again.
I didn't know photoshop was goz abled.

Sarford
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I didn't know photoshop was goz abled.

only the extended version, as that is the only one with 3D features (CS4 and CS5). It is quite cool though as now you can not only paint on the model (zbrush) but also on the flattend UV's (photoshop). Who needs Mari now he? ;)

c5m7b4
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
As far as the clarification goes, that would be nice to get from NewTek as well. I picked Modeler the first time I clicked GoZ from ZBrush and now everytime I click GoZ, it just goes straight to modeler and does not ask me. I'll have to play with that a little bit to see if I can figure out how to get it to ask every time. I plan on purchasing Maya in the very near future and I would like for it to give me Photoshop, Modeler, Layout, and Maya options each time from within ZBrush.

Sarford
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
You select in Zbrush to which program it exports, it will remember that choice. If you want to send it to another program you have to click the R next to GoZ and select the program you wanna go to.

UnCommonGrafx
01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
The R.

Thanks for that!

c5m7b4
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
SWEEEEET, that works great. Thanks so much.

lamerehic
06-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I have some kind of the same problem, as I press goz and as Zbrush load i got a polymesh3D with 0points, 0 hidden poly etc... nothing show up..
The Mesh in modeler has uvs all poly are quads, every shape is closed... i dont know what to do?

rcallicotte
06-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Once in zBrush, just draw out the tool and select Edit. Voila.

I have some kind of the same problem, as I press goz and as Zbrush load i got a polymesh3D with 0points, 0 hidden poly etc... nothing show up..
The Mesh in modeler has uvs all poly are quads, every shape is closed... i dont know what to do?

lamerehic
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
The thing is when i draw the tool there is nothing..... as the tool says... 0 poly.. 0 points
Maybe with a update of Zbrush..
Because it works sometimes.. and other it dont and i dont get why.

Mark B.
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey; has anybody tried 4R3? I got doubts it's going to work with LW 11. When you hit the "GoZ" button it (zBrush) can't find any of the files it needs. This is because they don't exist anymore. Specifically the entire folder "Script" that was in the c:/user/public/pixilogic/script is no longer there. sigh....does anyone have a fix for this? Also LW 11x64 no longer thinks zBrush is installed anywhere on the computer, or that's the message it is returning. So, any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

RayO3D
06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Lightwave 11 and ZBrush 4R3 have been working together fine for me. I'll grab the laptop here in a bit and see if there is a script for it in the location yours is looking. I am mainly using 32bit LW but I can try 64bit as well and see what I get. I'll try to post again thus afternoon.

UPDATE: I just tried LW11-64 with ZB4R3 and it works fine to and from ZB with Modeler. Now a difference I do want to point out is that in my users/public/pixologic directory I do not have a folder for scripts at all. I do, however, have a folder for GoZApps and in there is a directory for all of the GoZ apps I have installed (LW gets one for Modeler and one for Layout).

If you can give me the exact steps you are using, I will try to follow exactly what you are doing and see if I turn up a problem.

Mark B.
06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the help;
I have the same files you do on the C drive. The problem is that zBrush, when I click the GoZ button, throws a message saying it cannot find the "scripts" folder. So, I guess my question is, how do change this in zBrush to point to the right folder? I have tried the stuff under preferrences and it will locate everything okay. I still don't understand why LW won't find zBrush either. All this stuff sits on C drive.
hope you have some ideas.
Thanks again.

RayO3D
06-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Okay I wanted to try this from a fresh start on both ZBrush and LightWave so I uninstalled both this morning and made sure to delete the app folders in the GoZApps folder in that public directory just to make sure its doesnt try to grab previous info.

I fired up ZBrush and tried GoZ and of course it didn't find LightWave at first (which is normal as the GoZ stuff at this time is with LW and not default from ZB). Brought modeler and made a quick object and went to the I/O Tab to fire up GoZ via the button there to install the files. After that process was done, I was able to move back and forth between the two without a problem.

If all of that seems about what you are doing on your end, the only other possible thing that I can think of is that ZBrush or LightWave might not be in standard locations. I am not really sure if either app is picky when it comes to GoZ.

As far as Scripts go, I only have a folder called ZScripts in the ZB install folder and there is only a DefaultZScript.txt that literally only has two lines in it.

Short version: If it were me, I would try re-installing ZB after deleting the existing folders in GoZApps folder and try getting LW to reinstall its part for GoZ. My gut feeling is something is funky on the ZBrush side.

Mark B.
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks, I will give this a try. I have a support ticket into Pixo and I will see where that goes as well. Time to reinstall.

RayO3D
06-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Good luck with it. I know how annoying it is when things get a mind of their own.

Mark B.
06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the help and trouble you went through. I did get it fixed by re-installing zBrush. I still am a little mystified as to what went wrong. But thanks again for all the help.

RayO3D
06-30-2012, 08:31 AM
No worries it was no trouble. Glad it all got sorted out.

oxleyd
08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I had exactly the same problem, so I followed RayO3D's advice to uninstall ZBrush (Windows, 4R4), reinstalled and reactivated and ZBrush found Modeler OK this time. Thanks!

RayO3D
08-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Glad it helped!