PDA

View Full Version : Audio Problems

eBrito
10-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi folks;

I'm trying to streaming a live event (church service) but i cant get a good audio.

Sometimes i'm getting saturation even whithout any VU meters goes to red levels at the VT3 mixer.

To eliminate the saturation i need keep the volume levels so low and it's bad for our tapes.

The audio comes from our 32 channels mixer at audio department.

One more audio question (that's not a VT3 question):

When someone is talking, the audio is so low, when the pastor is preaching, it's sometimes high, at the worship time it's so high.
The guys who works at the audio are volunteers and they have no much knowledge.

Can i buy something (eletronics) to keep the audio level eliminating this variation or the way to do that is the audio guy keep adjusting the volume controls all the time?

Thanks

Jim_C
10-19-2003, 01:25 AM
>>Can i buy something (eletronics) to keep the audio level eliminating this variation or the way to do that is the audio guy keep adjusting the volume controls all the time?

Search for compander.

It will compress loud signals and expand quiet ones to a fairly close dynamic match.

eBrito
10-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Are you talking about a compressor with this function or it's a different stuff?

Look what i found:

http://www.goodlifeaudio.com/CL44.html

Jim_C
10-19-2003, 12:53 PM
I didnt look long, but that might be a bit of overkil but would work.
think of it this way.

A Compressor 'compresses' loud signals to a softer rate or a threshhold.

An Expander 'expands' soft sounds to louder rate or threshold.

A Compander does both, Compresses and Expands.

eBrito
10-19-2003, 10:32 PM
but i looked at the google and altavista and i didn't find any "Compander", just compressors, amplifiers and wriless mics with compander function.

John Alfero
10-20-2003, 05:55 AM
You might want to look at the Symetrix 421M AGC-Leveler. You set an audio target level and it either raises or lowers the audio level to that target. You can get more info from the Markertek Video Supply catalog or their web site( WWW.
Markertek.com) I've used one for the past few years and it has helped solve the same audio problems for me

eBrito
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Oh man!!!

I wrote a replly but it's not here... i think i forgot to hit the "Submit" buttom :mad:

Well... There we go again:

It looks very good stuff.
Well... how are you using your unit?
Do you use it just in one mic (in my case, the Pastor's mic) or you use it to adjust the mixer output?

Because i'm not sure if i'll connect it between the audio mixer and my workstation (to work with the "mixed" audio signal).
In this way, i'll get the adjusted audio coming to my VT3 Workstation.

Or... i have to connect it between the mic and the mixer? To correct the mic variations before it enter in the audio mixer at audio department?

By the way, the problem is not only with this mic (actually, it's the most important but the worship sometimes have big variations).

John Alfero
10-21-2003, 07:41 AM
I use it after the mixer and then feed the output to the Toaster. You still need to set the volume for your mic inputs on the mixer, but it does smooth out the wide variations if you have multiple mics going into your mixer and you're not fast enough to keep the volumes in check. There is also a single XLR input and output jack on the back so you could plug in just your pastor's mic. Hope this helps.

Jim_C
10-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Emerson,
""but i looked at the google and altavista and i didn't find any "Compander", just compressors, amplifiers and wriless mics with compander function.""

That link you posted is a compander. Says so in the title. Compression devices can be a combination of expanders and compressors. John has you headed down a nice path. You're on the right track to hooking your church up sweet. Keep up the good work.

Jim

eBrito
10-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Well... I'll this unit and try it.
Thanks guys