PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sky is Finished

Pages : [1] 2

Cryonic
01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I searched, but didn't find a thread about this. Iron Sky is completed and will premiere in Berlin on Feb 11, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3cmYJ4Pw4

-FP-
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Yesterday the whole movie was on YouTube.
It's popping back up from several uploaders as soon as it's taken down.
Whack-A-Mole time!

Waves of light
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Can't wait for this. It just looks so well made.

daforum
01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Where in Berlin will it premiere?

Eagle66
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Friedrichstadt Palast - SOLD OUT
http://www.ironsky.net/site/berlinale

HenrikSkoglund
01-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I searched, but didn't find a thread about this. Iron Sky is completed and will premiere in Berlin on Feb 11, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3cmYJ4Pw4

LOOOOL, this will be a must-have on bluray for me later when it's released. Not the least because they've used Lightwave in it, which will be interesting to see.

Salv8or
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Congrats to all who worked on it.. Cant wait to see it, it looks awesome!

probiner
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Why am I not suprised for seeing Udo Kier there? =) Premiere in Berlin... I see... Good Luck!

I guess the chinese saw them building up but kept quiet about it.

vector
01-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Yes, good luck!

I watched trailer and clips... amazing job.

I'm afraid I won´t see the movie here, at Spain, neither cinemas nor DVD sales... at least, we have Amazon or something like that.

aidenvfx
01-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Agreed that it looks amazing. It shows what can be done on a economic budget. I hope it does really well and the industry starts to take a closer look at doing more 20-30 million dollar movies VS the 200 million blockbusters that 8-10 of them have to compromise in order to hit a broad enough audience to make it's money back.

My only comment is the final trailer voiceover is way over the top compared to the other trailers. The voiceover sells the movie more as "Spaceballs" not that there is anything wrong with that just the tone from the other trailers is different and more serious.

Cryonic
01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Could go lower, like the SyFy monster movies. I think they are in the $1-2 Million range.

djlithium
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Could go lower, like the SyFy monster movies. I think they are in the $1-2 Million range.

IF you guys want to read up on how the show went for us in the LW/VFX side of the production you can read my blog.
http://www.liberty3d.com/category/iron-sky/

I haven't heard anything about this leak, sounds like a PR stunt to me :P It would suck though if it happened.

Cryonic
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
It doesn't take as much to get a leak anymore. Send a DVD or two out and those copies will multiply like rabbits once they reach the "wrong" hands. Also tons of tools available make this a simple process of place disc in computer, press button, walk away.

shrox
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
The term "comedy" made me cringe...

tuomas
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
There's a proper theatrical trailer coming out in a week or so, the one you find in Cryonic's link is just an announcement trailer for Berlin.

Iron Sky's budget was 7.5 million euros, of which only a relatively small fraction went to producing the visual effects. Which is all kinds of silly considering the movie relies very, very heavily on the effects with around 800 shots, most created in a span of six months by a very small team.

As for the leak, there's no such thing as far as I know. If there was, you'd think the movie would appear on a certain swedish torrent site.

-FP-
01-31-2012, 08:30 AM
It definitely leaked. A few days ago the entire movie was posted - in ten-minute chunks - on YouTube. It was taken down after a day or so. It popped up again in a few places. Those posts were taken down. At the moment, it is not posted at YouTube under its original title. The still frames attached to the illicit posts, and the trailer look GREAT...

OnlineRender
01-31-2012, 08:39 AM
I am not disputing the fact with you here , however I spoke with people who worked on the show and they cant find it , and I looked at youtube I seen it but it was all crap and click to view but first fill out this survey first , and its not a torrent site"cant name" and they get everything first before your piratebays and btjunkies ect , it just looks to me that they have sliced the trailer and footage into what is meant to look like the full film to get extra crappy hits on there crappy website

tuomas
02-04-2012, 04:10 AM
And here's the official poster.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6812753385_e379e10ce3_b.jpg

Markc
02-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Will this get a UK release?

lardbros
02-04-2012, 05:43 AM
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!! Wish i could go to the premiere, but will have to sit tight and wait for the DVD!

It's so much more exciting when you know you used Lightwave and I know a guy who worked on it! Good ol' Luke!... great job mate! :D

tuomas
02-04-2012, 09:17 AM
UK release should be happening, but I don't know the details on that. It's all up to local distributors.

LW_Will
02-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Will this get a UK release?

My guess? VOD...

djlithium
02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
My guess? VOD...

My understanding is it has a UK distributor and may see a theatrical release.

djlithium
02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I am not disputing the fact with you here , however I spoke with people who worked on the show and they cant find it , and I looked at youtube I seen it but it was all crap and click to view but first fill out this survey first , and its not a torrent site"cant name" and they get everything first before your piratebays and btjunkies ect , it just looks to me that they have sliced the trailer and footage into what is meant to look like the full film to get extra crappy hits on there crappy website

Steph is correct, it seems like a BS trick to get people to some movie download site. Energia and BlindSpot have been very careful to keep the movie under lock and key to the point where if it did leak it would be immediately traceable to who did it. I haven't even seen the full film with all the VFX or final sound in it either, so whatever is out there is just clips from currently available stuff and not the full film.

djlithium
02-04-2012, 12:21 PM
There's a proper theatrical trailer coming out in a week or so, the one you find in Cryonic's link is just an announcement trailer for Berlin.

Iron Sky's budget was 7.5 million euros, of which only a relatively small fraction went to producing the visual effects. Which is all kinds of silly considering the movie relies very, very heavily on the effects with around 800 shots, most created in a span of six months by a very small team.

As for the leak, there's no such thing as far as I know. If there was, you'd think the movie would appear on a certain swedish torrent site.

Final total I guess for VFX shots was over 1000 but regardless, the money spent on VFX was a very low percentage - of course I can't say. That's NDA territory but its very awesome that it was done on the budget they had for the entire film. I wouldn't have shot in australia though. Those tax credits get eaten up fast by "travel expenses" and costs associated with being there.

Phil
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Is there any distribution deal in the US? It's also a shame that there's no pre-order for DVD, etc. other than the Collectors package on the shop. I hope that's also coming :)

tuomas
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
The official trailer. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/Py_IndUbcxc

Waves of light
02-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Too cool. Really can't wait to see it, just gotta find out how.

erikals
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I just LOVE this concept... it's gonna be a hit...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/007.gif

shrox
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I am just thinking will be Airplane 2 unfunny... I hope it's Zombieland funny.

tuomas
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
The movie is nothing like Airplane 2.

Waves of light
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Yep. the VFX in Airplane 2 sucked :lightwave

shrox
02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

If it's not funny it will be...

So, does it work? Remember, sometimes Star Trek tries to be funny...

Humor and sci-fi can be brilliant though!

metahumanity
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Is that a Sarah Palin parody in the poster?

gerry_g
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Is that a Sarah Palin parody in the latest trailer, hell yes

ncr100
02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Reddit seems to like the premise ...

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pghvh/iron_sky_official_theatrical_trailer_hd/

JeffrySG
02-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Love this trailer! Looking forward to getting a chance to watch this eventually!

Getting to see that will be worth the ticket price alone. lol

shrox
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM

It's certainly sounding better.

wibly wobly
02-09-2012, 06:33 AM
it looks like first class AAA cheese. great trailer. great premise. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I hope it does well.

lardbros
02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Well done everyone who worked on it! Wicked trailer... and lovely FX, hot girls, and action! This has to be a hit!

wibly wobly
02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I just had a thought and I hope it's in there but, a giant robot / mecha Hitler would be pretty amazing to see.

Markc
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Has anybody bought anything from the Iron Sky Store (and received it).
I ordered a T-shirt over 3 weeks ago, and it still indicates 'awaiting shipping'.
I have tried the email link on the site a couple of times, with no luck :(
I really want my T-shirt before the film is released here (4 April)!

Waves of light
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I ordered a T-shirt over 3 weeks ago, and it still indicates 'awaiting shipping'.

No, sorry, not ordered anything from the store yet.

4th of April... oh excellent. Me and the wife can't wait.

djlithium
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM

I can try and give someone a boot in the *** for you if you like. It was hard even for us in VFX to get shirts. I know Tuomas went without. I managed to score two. (sizes being an issue).
The store part is run by blindspot in helsinki and not Energia which is in Tampere but I will see what I can do.

regular
02-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Haha!

Can't wait to see it, looks like tickle belly fun.

Dexter2999
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Over 6.5 million views on Youtube. So it is going to get some notice. Might be the biggest thing since HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN.

Waves of light
02-28-2012, 02:48 AM
I can just see it become a cult classic. Must be amazing for the LW guys who worked on it.

Markc
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I can try and give someone a boot in the *** for you if you like. It was hard even for us in VFX to get shirts. I know Tuomas went without. I managed to score two. (sizes being an issue).
The store part is run by blindspot in helsinki and not Energia which is in Tampere but I will see what I can do.

That would be really cool, Kat. Thanks.
Can't wait for the LW11 tutorials, by the way :thumbsup:

Titus
03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
The first 4 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uX2cS8wvQHI

jeric_synergy
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey Kat, having watched the first 4 minutes, a Q:

Is the dust from the 'lunar module' landing VFX or practical dust?

Everything looks ACES, btw. Job well done.

erikals
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM
The first 4 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uX2cS8wvQHI

Cooool..! \:]

Markc
03-31-2012, 08:44 AM
It appears the UK release has been moved to April 20th!
On the plus side, my T-shirt has been dispatched (thanks Kat) :thumbsup:

djlithium
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Hey Kat, having watched the first 4 minutes, a Q:

Is the dust from the 'lunar module' landing VFX or practical dust?

Everything looks ACES, btw. Job well done.

Hey Jeric. That's all VFX.

jeric_synergy
03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey Jeric. That's all VFX.
Great physicality on the meshes there, and the dust was perfectly convincing. I was figuring it was composited dust sequences. :thumbsup:

Hypervoxels for the dust?

lardbros
04-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Turbulence I'd say... but I don't actually know :)

jeric_synergy
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I just had a thought and I hope it's in there but, a giant robot / mecha Hitler would be pretty amazing to see.

24 hour modeling challenge! :D

tuomas
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Iron Sky CGI Reel: http://youtu.be/r9raYQYdh-E

Beware: Includes minor spoilers.

Cageman
04-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Iron Sky CGI Reel: http://youtu.be/r9raYQYdh-E

Beware: Includes minor spoilers.

A lot of extremely well done CGI in that Reel, especially when thinking about the number of shots, the time it took, and, above all, only 20 artists. And, from what I gathered, LW + some very talented artists using it, more or less, saved that show. The space-scenes, in particular, looks very good.

:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
That gear-festival in the one ship-- that woulda taken me the entire 8 months.

Titus
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
The VFX... flawless

Lightwolf
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Final total I guess for VFX shots was over 1000 but regardless, the money spent on VFX was a very low percentage - of course I can't say.
The official cost for the VFX (this is from a published article here in Germany) is 900,000€. 890 shots and up to 25 people working in VFX (if I remember the last two numbers correctly).

Cheers,
Mike

kopperdrake
04-04-2012, 04:55 AM
For anyone near Derby in the UK, the Quad http://www.derbyquad.co.uk/ will be showing it as soon as they have a release date - hurrah!!

They did say that the film distributors are moving the release date from the 20th April to another date yet to be confirmed, but as soon as they have that date it will be screened :bday:

Get yer popcorn out!

bazsa73
04-04-2012, 05:10 AM
In Finland the screening starts today, next week I go and watch. My collegaue has seen it and said it was pretty cool and funny.

jburford
04-06-2012, 01:45 AM
The General Public Screening started yesterday here in Germany. Was really great, went to back to back showings of it with the 2 main actors (Julia Dietze and Götz Otto) as well as Timo Vuorensola, one of the Producers and a number of people who helped work on the film. Was lucky to get a signed Dollar Note from Julia, and a full sized poster from both of them.

Just a great film, and splendid effects and Nazi Spaceships!

You have to see this.

Now to just fight the urge to start modeling Spaceships and such! ;-)

archijam
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Finally saw it on Tuesday in Basel, Switzerland.

Madness!

Loved it, in a guilty pleasure kinda way .. :thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
When will us in the US be able to see it?

-FP-
04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Steph is correct, it seems like a BS trick to get people to some movie download site

I just popped in here after weeks away from the thread. Not that it matters much now, but the entire movie was very definitely on YouTube. I know this. It was not odd clips and such presented to initially appear to be the movie. It was the whole thing, in watchable but not excellent video quality. The chunks were in a playlist so they played sequentially. It was named something besides IRON SKY. I found it while looking for tutorial videos. It was quite a surprise! A heads-up in certain internet discussion areas provided URLs of the replacement YouTube posts as they appeared. Efforts to make the movie available continued for about two days. That those posts were taken down so quickly indicates the urgency with which they were regarded. The nature of the incident suggests the leak was made by someone close to the production, because the movie hasn't yet popped up as a genuine P2P release. There are lots of fake releases, though. I'm surprised someone didn't stitch together the YouTube chunks and make the movie available in other illicit venues.

The effects look spectacular, by the way.

erikals
04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
will the bluray have behind the scenes ?
(others than the ones already streamed on YT ?)

prometheus
04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Im sure Iron sky will be fun to watch.
I like the originality and the concept.

I just watched the first episod of a new series here called falling skies, and I was soo dissapointed with it...no humour, no sweet cinematographics, standard lines, seen it before series, no cool acting.

Markc
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Hopefully UK/USA will still get a cinema release!
IMDB shows no date for the UK, only date for USA is a film festival.
Latest date is Serbia 10th May.
Also noticed it was removed from my local cinema's 'coming soon' :grumpy:

jeric_synergy
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Is it possible to make a profit w/a cinema release in the US?

I'm thinking it's gonna be 'special events' and festivals. <|^(

(not a fan of film festivals)

Markc
04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Sadly, I think you may be right :cry:

DigitalSorcery8
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm thinking it's gonna be 'special events' and festivals. <|^(

(not a fan of film festivals)

Isn't the primary cost of theater presentation the cost of prints and marketing? Considering the type of film this is, marketing should be negligible with the print costs being the largest portion. You figure that the basic budget to make a standard film is doubled to take account of marketing it to everyone. Of course once movies end up going all digital to theaters, then at least THAT cost will be removed.

jeric_synergy
04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
It's not what any given amount of cost is: it's "can we make a profit?"

"Iron Sky" looks like a fun, cult-ish B-movie. I can see it having legs for cons and such. But not knowing what the overhead is for distribution (predictable) versus what they EXPECT to clear (totally unpredictable), it's hard to know which way they should jump.

I'm hoping it has long legs, and some of the topical humor doesn't weigh it down.

tuomas
04-10-2012, 12:54 AM
With a budget of 7.5€ million, definitely. US will get it's theatrical release, but it will most likely be fairly limited.

Speaking of money, Iron Sky made over 3€ million and drew in 250 000+ admissions during the opening weekend in Finland, Germany and Norway: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052430.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

kopperdrake
04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
And will the UK get its release Tuomas?

tuomas
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
The UK release should still be on 20th the last I heard.

prometheus
04-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I noticed the premiere date in the Metro news today, I think it was on the 18 april here in sweden in the cinemas.

Michael

tuomas
04-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Sweden is on 18th.

The known release dates can be found here: http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/releasedates/

kopperdrake
04-11-2012, 02:46 AM

Thanks for that - our local indie cinema told me the release date had been put back to a date unreleased as of yet. I guess we just need to keep the popcorn at the ready :)

Mitja
04-11-2012, 04:02 AM
The known release dates can be found here: http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/releasedates/

Italy still under negotiations! While in those lost islands in north alaska or siberia you can actually watch it! So lame!

rocker_lx
04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I saw it last week, and enjoyed it. Some nice jokes in it.
The language was all german, I guess they where showing the German release, normally movies shown here have original language with subtitles. Do the Americans speak english and nazis german in the original (undubbed) version?

tuomas
04-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Do the Americans speak english and nazis german in the original (undubbed) version?
They do. Another thing you wouldn't see in a Hollywood production.

Lightwolf
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
They do. Another thing you wouldn't see in a Hollywood production.
Unless it's Inglorious Basterds... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

tuomas
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
There's always an exception :)

Lightwolf
04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
There's always an exception :)
Yes, but he's in the Netherlands... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Markc
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

It is not listed on Odeon, Vue, Cineworld, Picturehouse, Light Cinemas in the coming soon sections?
Maybe it will be one of those unlisted films that just appears on the day. :grumpy:

tuomas
04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
The UK distributor Revolver Entertainment has apparently pushed the release date to late May: https://www.facebook.com/revolverentertainment/posts/356360044403329

Sorry :(

kopperdrake
04-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Yep - that's what I heard a couple of weeks ago from our indie cinema, but at least we have a date now :thumbsup:

tuomas
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
CGSociety article on Iron Sky: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/iron_sky?z=0&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

ArtGoblin
04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
just saw it here in Reykjavík ! This movie is a masterpiece of art !

Nemoid
04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Life sucks ! :(

Italy still under negotiations! While in those lost islands in north alaska or siberia you can actually watch it! So lame!

tuomas
04-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Here's a nice breakdown of how well Iron Sky has been received in different countries: http://blog.starwreck.com/2012/04/24/lets-talk-business/

In short, we've got 600 000 admissions and 5 million € in three weeks. Not bad at all.

lino.grandi
04-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Here's a nice breakdown of how well Iron Sky has been received in different countries: http://blog.starwreck.com/2012/04/24/lets-talk-business/

In short, we've got 600 000 admissions and 5 million € in three weeks. Not bad at all.

Love it!

lardbros
04-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Brilliant news... hoping that it'll be shown in a cinema near Reading!! London could be too far away, so fingers crossed for a closer one! ;)

How do we find out which cinemas it will be shown at?

Waves of light
04-24-2012, 06:07 AM

Excellent news. Just hoping it reaches Sheffield in the UK or it'll be a trip to London.

jburford
04-24-2012, 06:24 AM
come on lardbros, have been to Reading a few times, is close enough to London for something like Iron Sky......

ride the rail in and . . . .

;-)

lardbros
04-24-2012, 07:04 AM
come on lardbros, have been to Reading a few times, is close enough to London for something like Iron Sky......

ride the rail in and . . . .

;-)

Haha... damn, I've been caught!! I put a little ;) because I knew I was being cheeky!

It's only half an hour by train, so is more than worth the journey really... just hoping they'll get it to the Showcase cinema in Reading... they sometimes show the smaller films there! :)

jburford
04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
If I didn't have too many things going on at the moment (Mother and Sister visiting from states next week), work on the house, projects and a soon trip to the states next month, then I would shoot across from here and meet you in London for it!

And as a side trip, head to Murder One, has been too many years since I have been there!

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
It's possible that, given it's nature, "Iron Sky" would be amenable to clubs and groups forming special nights, programs, whathaveyou, and DRAW them to specific venues.

kopperdrake
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Our local arts/indie cinema is going to show it - but then we're all cultural and swankifed up here in the north.

Waves of light
04-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Our local arts/indie cinema is going to show it - but then we're all cultural and swankifed up here in the north.

Lol.

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I've always heard that about Derbyshire.

lardbros
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
If I didn't have too many things going on at the moment (Mother and Sister visiting from states next week), work on the house, projects and a soon trip to the states next month, then I would shoot across from here and meet you in London for it!

And as a side trip, head to Murder One, has been too many years since I have been there!

Murder One? What's that? Never heard of it :)

kopperdrake
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always heard that about Derbyshire.

Pea mixes, redundant coal mines, traction engine days and the local ploughing match are cultural finery at its fineryest. Even Lonely Planet guide has named us 'Real Ale Capital of the World'. 'nuff said I think.

<hic>

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Even Lonely Planet guide has named us 'Real Ale Capital of the World'. 'nuff said I think.

<hic>
I'm SO there.

Seriously. Need a weak-ish animator?

(I LUVVED my visits to England, and Seattle weather is much the same.)

kopperdrake
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Hehe - I wish we did! But seriously, if you ever do decide to visit the UK, pop on up and we'll introduce you personally to some lovely pints :)

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
.... pop on up and we'll introduce you personally to some lovely pints :)
You're on!

ianr
05-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Iron Sky U.K. Release: Some showings

From +20 May Iron Sky will be in selected 'PictureHouse' Cinemas.
I hope that this list is added to!
(you can lobby your local PH franchisee!)

IRON SKY [email protected]
Brixton--Straford East--Hackney
Brighton
Exeter
Liverpool
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
I have asked Henley & Oxford but?

Markc
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Counting the days....:thumbsup:

Philbert
05-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm still waiting for some way to see it in the US. :(

Waves of light
05-06-2012, 12:51 AM

Brighton
Exeter
Liverpool
Aberdeen
Edinburgh

Looks like a trip to Liverpool for me and the wife then.

kopperdrake
05-06-2012, 03:03 AM
I've just emailed our cinema in Derby (The Quad) to see if they have a new date - they had it down for April but removed it when the release date was pulled. It's a decent venue - rooms can only fit about 200 in, cafe bar downstairs, and you don't tend to get kids going to it, it being an arty farty type picture house :D

tuomas
05-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Iron Sky will come to UK on Wednesday 23rd. For one day. Yeah, you read that right. The movie will be shown for one day only.

Personally I think this is an insanely poor move from the distributor. Go see if you can, but I'm afraid we just lost a huge audience :(

prometheus
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Iron Sky will come to UK on Wednesday 23rd. For one day. Yeah, you read that right. The movie will be shown for one day only.

Personally I think this is an insanely poor move from the distributor. Go see if you can, but I'm afraid we just lost a huge audience :(

One day? You gotta be kidding..That´s really a laughable joke.

Michael

Waves of light
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Seriously... please tell me this is a joke. Me and the wife are as stoked about this film as we are about Prometheus!

tuomas
05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
That's what the distributor says on their Facebook site and elsewhere.

Australia is getting their release on 10th. At least it's a proper one.

jeric_synergy
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
WTF? How does that make ANY business sense at all?

Waves of light
05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
And yet if it was a 'British Film' they'd be all over it like a tramp on chips and showing all over the place.

regular
05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
It will be last century's old shoe by the time it comes to the U.S. Replaced by newer and brighter things. Too bad, probably the biggest market in the world is being avoided.

kopperdrake
05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
WTF - ONE DAY!!! Do we have an email we can use? I don't use facebook.

That is insane.

kopperdrake
05-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Brighton
Exeter
Liverpool
Aberdeen
Edinburgh

The nearest cinema to me is 1h 22m away! And we're smack bang in the middle of the effing country! Not even Birmingham showing it and it's the second city :(

Markc
05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
At 'FACT' Picturehouse in Liverpool, not only is it on for one day, but only one showing. Apparently if it does well they may re-show it at a later date :grumpy:

cresshead
05-06-2012, 03:00 PM
UK distribution of Iron Sky is awful...really no way near Nottingham or leicester, looks like only way to see it will be online...then wait fr the DVD

Waves of light
05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm really starting to get p***** off with this. Wish I had the money to do what one of my previous employers did, hire out a small picture house and invited everyone to watch a film of his choice for his birthday.

Anyone got the number for the Liverpool cinema where they are showing this, need to find out showing time.

cresshead
05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
i think UK people just need to write off the UK cinema release..it's useless...so when is the DVD coming out?

cresshead
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
iron sky on pre order over on amazon.co.uk release date 28th may 2012

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Sky-DVD-Julia-Dietze/dp/B007ZZKXWS/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1336339771&sr=1-4

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51f0IMr5pzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

also blu ray version

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J7wWAtVvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Sky-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B007ZZKWHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1336339766&sr=1-2

me happy bunny now i've pre ordered the DVD..i just need to buy some popcorn when it arrives in the post!

the UK cinema invasion must have been halted by Dad's Army!

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dads-Army-1.jpg

Markc
05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm really starting to get p***** off with this. Wish I had the money to do what one of my previous employers did, hire out a small picture house and invited everyone to watch a film of his choice for his birthday.

Anyone got the number for the Liverpool cinema where they are showing this, need to find out showing time.

9pm fact.co.uk to book seats

Waves of light
05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
9pm fact.co.uk to book seats

Thanks for that Mark, will make enquiries.

tuomas
05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
The DVD should not be coming out that soon. We all know the movie will hit the torrent networks the moment it's released in a physical format.

I get the feeling the UK distributor has ****** things up in major way.

jburford
05-07-2012, 01:16 AM
That is crazy if the release in the UK is 28 May, when in Germany Amazon shows 26. Oktober 2012 for the first release..... arrrggghhh...

Timo stated actually at the Frankfurt public showing that the DVDs and Blue Rays would first be released at the end of the year.

So the question is, will it really be released then, or are they simply trying to get ahold of all the money and then, "postpone" shipping due to a "delay"???

tuomas
05-07-2012, 04:48 AM
And here's a word from the director: http://www.ironsky.net/site/iron-sky-in-the-uk-for-one-day-only-bollocks/

In short: Let the distributor know how badly they are messing things up.

jburford
05-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Yes, this is totally ate up, no other word for it! I just wrote the distributors and gave them a piece of my mind.

wibly wobly
05-07-2012, 05:18 AM
I'd buy the DVD in a second. I don't have a hope in hell's chance at seeing it in theaters around here. I'd be shocked if it played at all.

prometheus
05-07-2012, 05:19 AM
I just posted this mail to the adminitrators in UK.

"Even thou it won´t affect me as I live in Sweden and will watch it here, Ivé heard that Iron sky is supposed to be shown only one day?

I thought this was a joke or something, but unfortunatly it is not...Im curious to find out why this is so?

Ivé been seeing the progress of this original movie outside of the hollywood busters, and I by only watching some small trailers it has gotten
my full attention and it looks to me to be a quite interesting, funny and exciting movie with a quite unique story, and it would be a shame if it
could not reach a broader public due to narrow administration policy´s..wich could very well cause the film to not regain their investments.

Sincere
Michael Ivarsson"

lardbros
05-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I've written to the distributors too.... seems like a crazy decision to make. There's a buzz surrounding this movie... and I think they'll realise too late!

jeric_synergy
05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
It's ridiculous: they've got a cult film on their hands, every sci-fi nerd in the UK wants to see it, and they're not playing it for a minimum of a week????

It's like they don't WANT to make money.

SciFi cons would kill for this thing.

-EsHrA-
05-07-2012, 10:10 AM
did my request! :)
hope in the end all works out..
this needs to be seen! :)

kopperdrake
05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Done my request too. I don't know much about film distribution, but what's stopping the Iron Sky dudes from sending out copies to Indie cinemas off their own back, rather than going through someone like Picture House? Is it really that bogged down in red tape to not be able to do that? Just thinking about the way the guys behind Age of Stupid distributed their film to people who wanted to show it:

http://www.indiescreenings.net/

Not sure if the site is still functional, but they were set up for indie film makers to distribute straight to anyone who could be arsed to plug their film...

And for the record, I'm going to order the DVD anyway - but I (and others here) would dearly love to see it on a big screen.

Bitboy
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I've preordered the Blu-Ray of Iron Sky and I'm going to see it with a friend here in DK as they have it in the cinemas here. Really looking forward to it! :)

Waves of light
05-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Sent my disgust to the distributor and posted on their facebook page.

We'll see what happens.

Qexit
05-08-2012, 04:16 AM
I've just placed my pre-order for the Blu-ray version through Amazon. I've pretty much given up on seeing films in the cinema as it is just far too expensive and, more often than not, an uncomfortable experience. So I'm pleased I'll be able to pick the blu-ray to watch in the comfort of my own home so quickly. I'm supporting the movie by buying it straight away rather than waiting for it to hit the £6.99 bargain bin in six months time.

Afalk
05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Heard this morning that the US release is tentatively set for June though I haven't had the chance to confirm this yet.

jeric_synergy
05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
That's be great: if EVER there were a "summer movie", Iron Sky is it. :)

Philbert
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll certainly keep an eye out then!

jeric_synergy
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Come to think of it, Seattle has summer outdoor movies as part of the Parks Department's summer programs, usually at GasWorks Park, which has a convenient hill to act as an amphitheater.

"Iron Sky" is a reasonable candidate in years to come, although it may need some "bleeping" for a mixed audience.... Campy, silly, cultish.

Waves of light
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow, I got an email back from the distributor, but I don't think anything going to change:

--------------------------

REVOLVER OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON IRON SKY RELEASE

We recognise the concerns of the makers of IRON SKY and appreciate the support of the fans. We ourselves have been huge supporters of the project since day one, coming on board in 2009.

We feel this release structure is very much in line with the spirit in which the film was made, being available both on the big and small screen almost simultaneously.

We have seen all of your feedback and contrary to the opinion of a few we are not trying to 'kill' 'bury' or 'dump' the film. Revolver is still in discussion with the exhibitors about extending the cinema run. Come out on the 23rd May, show your support, make IRON SKY day a huge success and lets keep the film playing on the big screen!

JamesCurtis
05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I'd love the Blu-ray version of the movie, but I don't have an Oppo BD player which plays all regions. After all, I'm in the US, and I don't think it'll ever reach my shores.

Really would like to see it somehow.

Who might I contact to make it available in the USA - in Cinema or DVD/BD?

kopperdrake
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow, I got an email back from the distributor, but I don't think anything going to change:

REVOLVER OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON IRON SKY RELEASE

We recognise the concerns of the makers of IRON SKY and appreciate the support of the fans. We ourselves have been huge supporters of the project since day one, coming on board in 2009.

We feel this release structure is very much in line with the spirit in which the film was made, being available both on the big and small screen almost simultaneously.

We have seen all of your feedback and contrary to the opinion of a few we are not trying to 'kill' 'bury' or 'dump' the film. Revolver is still in discussion with the exhibitors about extending the cinema run. Come out on the 23rd May, show your support, make IRON SKY day a huge success and lets keep the film playing on the big screen!

Yep - I got the same standard email back in reply to my email. I've answered asking them how you're meant to go to the cinema to show your support when you emailed them to ask them why you need to travel for almost an hour and a half to get to a cinema! All offence meant, but we're smack bang in the middle of the country with 5 major cities within an hour of us (Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield) and none of them have it. That is stupidly poor of Revolver, and a shame for the guys at Iron Sky HQ.

Waves of light
05-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Yes, love the 'show your support' bit. Still means we'll have to go to Liverpool to watch it and have to find someone willing to watch our kids until 2 in the morning on a school night. Crazy.

kopperdrake
05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
WOHHOO! Jusy had this through - new places that will be showing it!!!

IRON SKY SITES FOR MAY 23rd

PRINCE CHARLES, LEICESTER SQUARE
STRATFORD EAST PICTUREHOUSE
RITZY BRIXTON
BRIGHTON DUKE OF YORKS
TYNESIDE NEWCASTLE
EXETER PICTUREHOUSE
HYDE PARK PICTUREHOUSE LEEDS
FACT LIVERPOOL
CAMEO EDINBURGH
BELMONT ABERDEEN
SHOWCASE BLUEWATER
SHOWCASE NEWHAM
SHOWCASE DUDLEY
SHOWCASE READING
SHOWCASE COVENTRY
SHOWCASE BIRMINGHAM
SHOWCASE NOTTINGHAM
SHOWCASE PETERBOROUGH
SHOWCASE LEEDS
SHOWCASE WALALL
SHOWCASE CARDIFF
SHOWCASE MANCHESTER
SHOWCASE STOCKTON
SHOWCASE EAST GLASGOW
SHOWCASE BRISTOL
SHOWCASE DERBY
SHOWCASE LEICESTER DE LUX
SHOWCASE LIVERPOOL
SHOWCASE PAISLEY
DUNDEE CONTEMPORARY ARTS
EDEN COURT INVERNESS
QFT BELFAST
CURZON WIMBLEDON
MANCHESTER CORNERHOUSE
BRISTOL WATERSHED
SHEFFIELD SHOWROOM
CORK TRISKEL
HACKNEY PICTUREHOUSE
ELECTRIC BIRMINGHAM

Waves of light
05-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Get in... Sheffield for us now!

jeric_synergy
05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
So, one showing in all these new venues, or what?

Revolver looking a lot better now, eh?

kopperdrake
05-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Looks like it - but Showcase Derby - sorted :D

Revolver have delivered - took some ranting I reckon, but they've come through :D

tuomas
05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
An update on the UK distribution issue: http://www.ironsky.net/site/iron-sky-team-does-not-approve-the-uk-release-strategy/

The UK DVD/Bluray release of Iron Sky is a bare-bones ripoff orchestrated by Revolver Entertainment. The disc includes no extras and is just an attempt to get as much cash as possible from the international audience waiting to see the film.

Waves of light
05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, I've booked tickets for the only Sheffield showing, even though it says TBC at the side of the showing time.

So Tuomas, will there be a release of a DVD with all the extras, and how will we get hold of it... through the IronSky website?

tuomas
05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
There most likely will be a later home release which includes all the planned extras. When and how, I don't know, but an educated guess says it can be bought directly from the producers (Energia and Blind Spot Pictures) or through distributors that did not screw everyone over.

Waves of light
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
There most likely will be a later home release which includes all the planned extras. When and how, I don't know, but an educated guess says it can be bought directly from the producers (Energia and Blind Spot Pictures) or through distributors that did not screw everyone over.

Cool. Keep us posted on here, as I'm sure there will be others like me who are just as interested in the extras.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Revolver seems like a right buncha rat-bâstards.

I have a hard time believing this is in anybody's best interests.

kopperdrake
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
That's it then - if I can I will pre-order a DVD with all the extras as and when you guys decide to do one yourself. I'm not supporting money-grubbing distributors, they're just glorified estate agents for the film makers. If they can't be arsed to support a title properly, why should we be arsed to give them any money?

lardbros
05-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I cancelled my DVD order with Play.com as soon as I heard the news... also told all my friends and everyone who follows me on Twitter and on Facebook... I must be really annoying, but it's best to warn people! I was really annoyed that they'd do such a thing.

On a brighter note... I didn't think I was going to get to see it at all... but it's on in Reading, and on a day I can do! Good times!

archijam
05-20-2012, 04:11 PM
They (revolver) make an official statement here:
https://www.facebook.com/IronSkyUK/posts/302440309837315

.. apparently. Ironskyuk is not available to view if you are not in the UK, it seems, I can't find it at all from switzerland

tuomas
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Revolver has shut down/blocked their Iron Sky facebook site and are filterting all incoming emails mentioning the movie as spam. Here's the latest news: http://www.ironsky.net/site/revolver-still-refusing-proper-cinema-release/

And just for fun... Hitler discovers Iron Sky is only playing for one day: http://youtu.be/Qz0CRhuDM0A :D

gerry_g
05-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Well it's only averaging around 47% fresh on Rotten Tomato's, the critics rightly praise the the high production values but point to the script as being weak and the primary reason for the mark down, maybe you will all just have to face the fact that there are other types of people on this planet than obsessed 3d artists, that may suck but that's the way it is.(and yes I would like to see the movie and on a big screen too)
downshttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_sky/

lardbros
05-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Oh, glad the critics are being critical... it usually means they are being snobs, and i'll enjoy it. I NEVER take notice of what they say... in fact, I tend to do the opposite of what they say! Trouble is, some of my mates follow the critics, and take on their opinions on films, even though they've not seen them. One of them did regarding Iron Sky, telling me it was cheesy.

Well... durrrrr, that's the point!!

Not sure critics have much of a sense of humour... much like Simon Cowell!

gerry_g
05-21-2012, 06:41 AM
wow, hope U liked the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks outing then, not to mention anything with Julia Roberts in it :-)

erikals
05-21-2012, 07:01 AM
7.3 on imdb, that's high.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

most thought it was great over here, giving it 5-out-of-6 sometimes even 6-out-of-6...
doesn't sound like a 1 day event to me :/

tuomas
05-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Well it's only averaging around 47% fresh on Rotten Tomato's, the critics rightly praise the the high production values but point to the script as being weak and the primary reason for the mark down, maybe you will all just have to face the fact that there are other types of people on this planet than obsessed 3d artists, that may suck but that's the way it is.(and yes I would like to see the movie and on a big screen too)
downshttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_sky/
The 900 000 people who have seen Iron Sky in theaters thus far disagree.

ianr
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
A Crazy One day release in UK?

Read this A Vote UK'ers

http://www.ironsky.net/site/iron-sky-team-does-not-approve-the-uk-release-strategy/

My reply given without prejudice--

One Day only tut tut! Didn’t a Contract lawyer pull them on this?

Oulswang-Film media Lawyers i have used in London (90 High Holborn),should been put on their tails.

So my suggestion is pull out the Supa-Dupa DVD of the making of Iron Sky
:Call it The Whole Movie in a box Plug-in/Platinum Tutorial,etc, or what ever.

Punch in all the stuff/mesh assets that never made the edit.
Make it that knee trembling Tutorial on LightWave & Comping for other Apps Houses to slobber over!
Get Newtek & Others to plug it,while you relaunch after expiry of their contract.
Talk to Oulswang over this.
Don’t let the bastards get U down.

lardbros
05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
wow, hope U liked the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks outing then, not to mention anything with Julia Roberts in it :-)

Oh yes... Awesome films! ;)

Of course... My decision is made within reason. Just found that many films that are just meant to be a bit tongue in cheek are taken far too seriously.

jeric_synergy
05-21-2012, 04:28 PM
And just for fun... Hitler discovers Iron Sky is only playing for one day: http://youtu.be/Qz0CRhuDM0A :D
I laughed my *** off at that.

What EXCUSES did those wankers at Revolver give?

And REALLY, the only acceptable excuse is, "We don't think we can make money on it." Which is patently bullshite.

Waves of light
05-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Oh my... long day, then watched the hitler vid. The bit about Danny dryer had me in stitches. Well it's almost time to go and see it.. can't wait.

DigitalSorcery8
05-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Critical reviews are fine. And I would agree that "there are other types of people on this planet than obsessed 3d artists." But when you have sold out shows... that really DOES beg the question: Why they are not extending the release? It appears to be ALLOT more than what Revolver is saying.

I'll certainly be buying the DVD from the legitimate source - we NEED to promote and stand by independent filmmakers! :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
But when you have sold out shows... that really DOES beg the question: Why they are not extending the release? It appears to be ALLOT more than what Revolver is saying.

It appears to have moved into the "ego" area of motivation.

As in "I'm sticking by this decision no matter how it goes against my own best interests and stated goals."

(Y'know, Republican default stance.)

DigitalSorcery8
05-21-2012, 05:48 PM
It appears to have moved into the "ego" area of motivation.

As in "I'm sticking by this decision no matter how it goes against my own best interests and stated goals."

(Y'know, Republican default stance.)

I was just going to write: "Sounds like GWB." - and then I saw the little writing underneath... (Y'know, Republican default stance.) :beerchug:

jeric_synergy
05-21-2012, 06:07 PM
To try and stay away from (the ugly morass of) American politics: If Revolver were genuinely convinced they'd lose money by doing, oh, a week of "Iron Sky" around the UK, that would be one thing.

But, they could SAY that, couldn't they?

To use a UK'ism, I think they "just couldn't be arsed" to do a real release, and planned to make this more-than-likely contractual obligation in the cheapest way possible. Now that Iron Sky is doing well, selling out theaters (although that is tangled up with the "we gotta see it TODAY" aspects), someone somewhere looks like an idiot, and has the power to continue to throw spanners into the works.

So even though people are waving money in his/her face, they're too pig-headed to back down and say "My bad, you're right, here's a week's run, have some popcorn!"

Ego. Bet on it. :devil:

DigitalSorcery8
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
If Revolver were genuinely convinced they'd lose money by doing, oh, a week of "Iron Sky" around the UK, that would be one thing.

But, they could SAY that, couldn't they?
Yes, but we know that isn't the case since as you said, they COULD have said that, but... it wasn't THE reason.

Ego. Bet on it. :devil:

:agree:

Matt
05-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I never trust reviews, probably the only I do trust is Mark Kermode. But still buying on DVD when it comes out, and I can't wait!

tuomas
05-22-2012, 03:53 AM
In case you missed it, here's what Kermode thought of the movie: http://youtu.be/3A5VTYNs070

For UK people: It seems that at least Prince Charles Cinema has managed to extend their run of Iron Sky by a few more days due to high demand.

Waves of light
05-22-2012, 03:59 AM
"you haven't seen special effects this well designed before"..... there's a quote for you Tuomas!

So looking forward to tomorrow night.

tuomas
05-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Actually, the credit for the design work goes completely to Jussi Lehtiniemi, our superb art director and matte painter: http://jussiart.blogspot.com/

Waves of light
05-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Actually, the credit for the design work goes completely to Jussi Lehtiniemi, our superb art director and matte painter: http://jussiart.blogspot.com/

Yes, I've seen most of these, but thanks again for the link. I personally love the steampunk like zeppelin. Hat's off to Jussi.

Markc
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Actually saw an advert last night on tv for the film (about 10:30pm), and it stated only in cinemas May 23rd!
I am surprised Revolver spent the money for a TV advert (must be a lot cheaper after 9:00pm) :D

lardbros
05-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I've had another response from Revolver! They seem to write their press releases to try and make themselves sound like they were never in the wrong... it appears that SOME cinemas are extending the release here, but not many!

I'm booked in to Reading to see it tomorrow... can't wait! Hope it's busy!

Here's the response I had from them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see below for new official Revolver Statement on the Iron Sky release:

We have always said that the theatrical run of IRON SKY may go beyond a single day release and here's the news you've all been waiting for …

Revolver is pleased to confirm that after taking on board each and every one of your comments, thoughts and feedback which we sent on to our cinema partners and with their support we are happy to announce that we are extending the film's run in the UK. Following on from the exclusive bloggers premiere on 21st May and the unique IRON SKY DAY on 23rd May, the film will continue to play at selected cinemas for as long as demand dictates. Now is the chance for all of you that have been so vocal to come out, support the film and keep it showing.

In an Official Statement, Ben Freedman, owner of London's Prince Charles cinema, commented: "We've always been in discussions with Revolver about extending the theatrical run of IRON SKY and they have always agreed that if demand was strong enough we would keep it going. We have enormous belief in the potential of the film to become a cult classic in the vein of Rocky Horror and The Room and keep audiences flocking to the Prince Charles for many years to come.

So far the cinemas on board for an extended run are:

The Prince Charles Cinema, London
Picturehouse Stratford East
Picturehouse Belmont Aberdeen
Picturehouse Exeter
Duke of York's, Brighton

Showcase Coventry (Evening Showings)
Showcase Glasgow East (Evening Showings)
Showcase Coventry (Evening and Late Night Showings)
Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw (Late Night screenings)
Showcase Derby De Lux (Late Night screenings)
Showcase Leicester De Lux (Late Night screenings)

The other cinemas who are extending the run will be announced tomorrow and throughout the week.

prometheus
05-23-2012, 02:50 AM
I kind of feel like..this movie doesn´t draw that much people, It´s low budget..and hardly many people will see this, so that´s why we set it to show only for a day or so.

Now that is really a good way to market a movie to success...Not!

Feels more like a policy like that simply puts a stamp on the movie of being a not so good movie, or it simply doesn´t deserve more than this, ergo..the distributors are in fact impacting the overall interest and sales of the movie.

Michael

tuomas
05-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Yep, extended run in UK confirmed: http://www.ironsky.net/site/extended-cinema-run-in-uk/

lardbros
05-23-2012, 06:50 AM
What DOES make sense though, is that Revolver would do a single day release at the cinemas (which is relatively expensive, but just about keeps to their contract), and then release it on DVD and cash in massively!! Now that makes business sense... but you alienate any fan-base, ruin your reputation as a small film distributor, and now EVERYONE knows how crap you are... so, it's NOT a good move... and in this economic climate (buzz word) they may very well not be around for long :)

djwaterman
05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Saw a poster in the lobby of George Street cinemas when I went to see Avengers last week, so I just assumed it was getting a decent cinema run, George St ain't exactly art- house. Nazi's don't interest me so I'll not be seeing it, but I hope it does well.

gerry_g
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
well for me it's either today (just four showings scheduled) or nothing cuz it's in Leicester right now (UK) which is around fifty miles from me which mid week I feel disinclined to do, so it's by by big screen movie and hello dvd

erikals
05-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Bluray :]

Waves of light
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Well we are sat in the front row and it's sold out!

lardbros
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
What a GREAT movie... and atmosphere in the cinema! A round of applause at the end... Everyone sat through the credits, and then another applause! Loved the film... Want to watch it again! Some brilliantly funny gags in there, along with a couple of weaker ones, but I really belly laughed at points!

Well done to the entire team... A very impressive movie, with hot girls (German and American), spaceships, comedy and action! I simply cannot ask for more than that!

Waves of light
05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Well, where to start...

Myself and the wife arrived at the Showroom Cinema in Sheffield and joined the very big queue for the box office. When we finally arrived at the desk, we were told that even though we'd booked in advance, due to the massive demand they'd had to move the screening to the largest screen and therefore seat reservations were out the window.

So we walked in to find a few rows free towards the front of the room and decided to sit there. It was packed and we had to wait an extra 20 mins before they started showing the film. Whilst the trailers were on, they had warned us that they would be filming the audience (so I wonder where that will be showed, and for what reason).

So what about the film...

What an amazing film, excellent mix of VFX, great characters/cast, satire and to top it off a decent storyline. I'm blown away with just how good it was. From the opening 10 mins, we knew we were in for a treat. Those who have given this film such negativity (based mainly on the story) need to remember what it's about... Nazis on the dark side of the moon, enough said.

The cast are excellent, the ladies (Lead German, President and evil marketing boss) are beautiful.

I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be that funny, but there were so many good gags (including some very funny visual ones) that the audience were caught between laugher and applause... one of my favs SPOILER ALERT was the 'Finland being the only country not to arm their ships' gag.

And finally, the VFX... Stunning. I know I will have to watch this again, because there were parts where my eyes were drawn all over the screen in an attempt to view all the visuals. The ships look so good on screen. The sets were excellent (the engine room with the chain like driving shaft was so well done). The fracture on both the moon and the main Nazi spaceship were superb.

As with above, the film finished and the audience applauded.

I hope the filming of the audience is to be shown to Revolver, so that they may release it for further dates. If it is, I'm the guy sat at the front, with a big smile on my face, wearing a Lightwave Core t-shirt :thumbsup:

ianr
05-24-2012, 07:28 AM
We hit Reading ShowCase.

Real near the front of the big screen
And you know what?
The LW renderer stands up very well!
That's what I wanted to inspect
Well done to all the team of wavers
on this slate! AutoD doesn't rule all!

Qexit
05-24-2012, 07:46 AM
I got a link to a 'review' of Iron Sky in my email this morning. It's more of a brief plot intro than a review. However, the same page does give listings of all the places across the UK that are showing the film with links to the individual sites so it may be useful to some people still wishing to see it in a cinema:

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/films/ironsky.html

One observation about the Blu-ray/DVD release. Quite a lot of companies in recent years have released multiple versions of a film on disk. Lord of the Rings being a good example. First you got the barebones cinema version, then the extended version and finally the super deluxe version with all the bells and whistles. This approach annoys the people who want to see all the extra features straight away, but makes a certain amount of financial sense as I suspect the majority of people who buy the film on disk wont be that interested in the extras, and certainly don't want to pay out extra for the things they wont watch. I don't know exactly what the Iron Sky makers want to include as extras but it may well be better for them to release lite and feature laden versions of the DVD/Blu-ray. That way they can cover the bulk of the sales to people who only want to have the film with the initial quick release while taking their time to release the full feature version...and make a really, really good job of it.

With this film there is even the extra option of releasing a dedicated LW tutorial version which would be of no interest to a regular film-goer.

lardbros
05-24-2012, 11:35 AM
We hit Reading ShowCase.

Real near the front of the big screen
And you know what?
The LW renderer stands up very well!
That's what I wanted to inspect
Well done to all the team of wavers
on this slate! AutoD doesn't rule all!

Ha... Yep, I hit the Reading Showcase too! :) Don't often get so many Wavers in one place!

BeeVee
05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
It probably won't come to the cinema in France. :( On the plus side I have the Blu-Ray arriving in the next day or so! :)

B

toby
05-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Write-up in BBC news today
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18173708

Love what his 'message' is, couldn't agree more.

BeeVee
05-28-2012, 06:07 AM
And here's film critic Mark Kermode's blog piece: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2012/05/iron_sky_is_here.html

B

Waves of light
05-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Wish I could afford the special edition Blu-Ray version at 300 euros. That would be sweet.

jeric_synergy
05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
It probably won't come to the cinema in France. :(
Is that a historical/cultural thing?

(I imagine there's some amount of French nerds who'd enjoy it, but maybe not enough to make it profitable.)

BeeVee
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
It'll be the cost of subtitling/dubbing it I'm sure.

B

BeeVee
05-29-2012, 09:22 AM
My copy arrived today! We watched it and it's a lot of fun. Not perfect by any means and there are slow moments, but it's a lot of fun. Udo Kier seems underused and some of the acting is questionable, but the graphics are spot on, very impressive (apart from only one shot of a fighter jet exploding). The film looks amazing and the music is great for the most part - I really liked the riffs on the Ring Cycle. The film is very "meta" with nods to plenty of other films to make the geek in the viewer grin.

B

ianr
05-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Ahh! (apart from only one shot of a fighter jet exploding).

BV that'll be the Maya shot that they left in, maybe?:-)

lardbros
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Ben, where did you order the Blu-Ray from?

I wanted to order it from Play.com, but the makers said the UK release wasn't going to have any special features, and was simply the film on its own. I'd rather get a version that is supported by its makers really.

Cheers! :)

ianr
06-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Hi Lard,
It can do NO harm to Lobby(E-ask) for the tutorial DVD
I would talk to Samuli & Kat Myers over this @ liberty3D

OR start a Lobby thread on this forum for the SUPA DVD
I would sign up for it & others for sure.
It's an opportunity that NT should also help to bring into creation!

But the vanilla DVD is probably contractual with Revolver.
And after such a massive **** with the UK showing they
ain't gonna or refer you to anyone.

Up until that see, Youtube: Iron Sky Signal E21. For teasing glimpses
of LW10 & 11 in action with the Guys wrestling this into life!

lardbros
06-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Just so you know... they now have the BluRay and DVD available on their website in the Store section!

Pre-ordered!!! :)

Qexit
06-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Just so you know... they now have the BluRay and DVD available on their website in the Store section!

Pre-ordered!!! :)My Blu-ray copy arrived from Amazon yesterday. The description for the version available from the Iron Sky store sounds like it is not that much different. The one I have contains a Making Of feature, the trailers and teasers, along with a production stills and concept art gallery. True, it doesn't have a director's commentary track, which I wouldn't listen to anyway, and only includes German and English subtitles, which I wouldn't use, but it does come with a second disc with a Digital Download copy of the film that I can drop onto a laptop, PSP, MP4 player etc. which appears to be missing from the 'official' release. One other difference, the copy I have only gives the running time as 89 minutes while the official version states 93 minutes. To be honest, after watching the film, I can easily live without an extra 4 minutes :D

I watched the film last night and I'm more than happy that I only paid £11.99p to do so. Sorry people, but this is one of the worst films I've watched in a long time. The special effects are OK in terms of quality, but pretty badly directed/orchestrated. The great big lens flares right near the start of the film pretty much set the scene for what was to follow. The big battle scene towards the end of the film did not flow in a sequence, lots of niggling continuity errors.

This was a fan made film and it showed. The acting and script lurched between poor and appalling. Yes, I did chuckle once or twice and the female lead was a nice piece of eye candy but I could say the same for Pirhana 3D. The makers were really lucky to find a distributor who was willing to give it any kind of a cinema release as it is the sort of film that would normally just go straight to DVD. As it is, I can't see myself rewatching this film any time soon.

lardbros
06-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Well... okay, I'm just going by what I heard from the makers. I assumed the UK release wasn't going to get everything on it. Maybe some interjection from the guys might clear things up?

I know a lot of people moaned about the film... but if you take it for what it is, an indie movie, with a relatively low budget, and a VERY tongue-in-cheek script (it's meant to be like that!!!)... it was very entertaining to me! Maybe I have an odd sense of humour, but I found it very amusing indeed, thought the special effects were well-structured and not over-used... and acting was okay too.

It's basically one of those marmite films, you either love it or hate it... and my personal opinion is that it was great entertainment, and that's all I want from a film. I think Mark Kermode's review summed up exactly how I thought... (obviously a clever man ;) )

Qexit
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
The thing is all indie movies have low budgets, so the one thing that really should be good is the script and for me this one was just very poor. Tongue-in-cheek is a very difficult style of humour to get right. Done well, it is hilarious but done badly it's just, well, bad and I found that Iron Sky fell into the latter camp. As with all things, opinions differ :thumbsup:

P.S. I hate Marmite too :D

lardbros
06-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I guess I went in expecting the worst, and was pleasantly surprised... some of the jokes were completely unexpected, and were slightly lewd etc, which suits me down to the ground!

I think I am more lenient the lower the budget... and there were points where the story didn't quite work, and a couple of instances where I wondered what was going on, but still... it's worth watching from a LightWave point of view. Only one dodgy looking explosion in there, and a few Hypervoxelly looking bits... but still worth watching! :)

There's no doubt that opinions are definitely mixed, but that's just what happens. I tend to find that if film critics (especially Daily Mail, or other papers) say a film is rubbish, I'll enjoy it. :)

Eagle66
07-05-2012, 09:28 AM
After in Cinema now for enthusiastic visitors under the Sky at Open Air film theater in Germany :thumbsup:

Waves of light
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh that looks so cool.

erikals
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
i'll buy the DVD, just to support...

DigitalSorcery8
07-13-2012, 03:44 PM
i'll buy the DVD, just to support...

Same here. But I want to get the official version with all of the behind-the-scenes stuff so that I can sit back and really enjoy! :thumbsup:

erikals
07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
 
Def' ! :]

 

Philbert
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
In case you missed in:

Iron Sky gets national distribution in the US.
http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5acd0c89d06f33526c787ef3c&id=8d56ac8c7a

Bog
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Bump!

You can *REQUEST* a US showing of Iron Sky at a selection of theatres! Go on - see it the way it's meant to be seen. BIG screen, with a splot of ketchup on your t-shirt from shoving a hot-dog into your maw and following it up with handfuls of popcorn while your shoe sticks to some long-departed strangers' gum.

http://www.tugg.com/titles/iron-sky?region=global&state=upcoming#.UAiiL6OWi_g

Think of the children. Won't someone *PLEASE* think of the children?

Philbert
07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
That tugg site looks like you have to set up some kind of special event for the showing. I do see a pending showing for Philly though. I hope it's not just one day.

Bog
07-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Yes, quite why the distributor wants to do such an arsey-facey mess of things is beyond me. Still, it's better than the UK where the plan was to show it for one day only, and that a Wednesday, the scutters. Anyway, you can in fact book and organise your very own showings - all you have to do is get, like, 50 people to turn up to one.

So, do-able - if you have the valour. The gumption. The drive.

lardbros
07-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey there Bog... pretty sure when I went to see Iron Sky at the Showcase in Reading, there were people saying your name on the row in front! :) One guy even looked very, very like you too (we did meet once, years ago at a LW meet in London).

Good work on Iron Sky by the way!

jeric_synergy
07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes......- all you have to do is get, like, 50 people to turn up to one.

So, do-able - if you have the valour. The gumption. The drive.
LOL! I want to hear Micheal Ironside say that sentence. :thumbsup:

Indeed, practically any decent sized burg should be able to round up fifty lousy fans for a one-shot. Even, say, Spokane should be able to pull that off.

Heck, anyplace with a community college should be able to do that. I'm lookin' at you, Pasco WA.

Bog
07-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey there Bog... pretty sure when I went to see Iron Sky at the Showcase in Reading, there were people saying your name on the row in front! :) One guy even looked very, very like you too (we did meet once, years ago at a LW meet in London).

Good work on Iron Sky by the way!

Heeheehee.... if he had long hair, then yeah that was The Reading Massive going to see it. You saw a bunch of my family friends and cow orkers and stuff :)

Small world...

lardbros
07-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Haha... thought so... the dude with the long hair did look very like you though. :)

Now just looking forward to getting the BluRay sent over... not long now!! :)

tuomas
10-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Committing a shameless bump.

Iron Sky is now available for DVD and Bluray in the US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008I34YYY/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

jeric_synergy
10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
How DARE you try to make a living! :D :thumbsup:

bazsa73
10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I received the DVD last thursday on the 27th of September. Problem is I dont have a DVD player 'cos I gave it to my mother-in-law. Lol.

Philbert
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Not even in your computer or a game console?

BigHache
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Iron Sky is now available for DVD and Bluray in the US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008I34YYY/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Yay! Been waiting for this.

bazsa73
10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
No game console, I moved from one country to another, office has not been set up yet. One day, when winter comes and no other things to do.

hrgiger
10-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I just ordered the Blu-Ray off Amazon. I'm kind of surprised how little attention this movie got in the U.S. Love the premise of the movie, hope its worth the watch.

erikals
10-04-2012, 05:50 PM
hm, no special features / making of on the dvd ?

BeeVee
10-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Nothing on the UK one that's been out since May. Not even subtitles. A real ripoff those guys did on the job (talking about the distributors).

B

tuomas
10-05-2012, 01:06 AM
How DARE you try to make a living! :D :thumbsup:
I'm Finnish. We're not allowed to promote ourselves.

hm, no special features / making of on the dvd ?
There's a few at least on the Bluray version that I know of. Just avoid the british release, like BeeVee said it was a ripoff done on behalf of the local distributors.

DigitalSorcery8
10-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Mine should be here on Saturday - pre-ordered from Amazon.

Can't wait to watch it!

jeric_synergy
10-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm Finnish. We're not allowed to promote ourselves.

There's a few at least on the Bluray version that I know of.
Wow, you weren't kidding.

GCL
10-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Well, some Best Buy's have it for $17.99 but Target for the blue ray has it for $14.99. Getting ready to watch it.

Cryonic
10-06-2012, 01:59 AM
I've tried to watch it a few times... I can't seem to get into it more than a few minutes before I shut it off... Must not be funny to me.

Philbert
10-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Well, some Best Buy's have it for $17.99 but Target for the blue ray has it for $14.99. Getting ready to watch it.

Thanks! I was out when I read this so I popped right over to Target and bought it.

Riff_Masteroff
10-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Like hrgiger, I also bought mine today at a Target big box store. Price for the dvd was 13usd. Printed on the box was "Made in USA". I believe most US ppl, those not clued into these forums, will believe that the movie was made in the US. Maybe in a place called Tampere, US.

Cageman
10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Ordered the Blueray from Swedish Ginza tonight. :)

Looking forward to see it again... I enjoyed it a lot in the Cinema. Looking forward to see the behind the scenes stuff as well!

:)

Philbert
10-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I just finished watching the behhind the scenes stuff. Annoyingly the only 3D package I saw in it was maya. Looks like it was used as pre-vis or something. They were using it to show the actors when they were looking at while they were on green screen.

jeric_synergy
10-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I just finished watching the behhind the scenes stuff. Annoyingly the only 3D package I saw in it was maya.
Looks like the AD PR Conspiracy got to 'em.

My gawd, they're everywhere. ;)

erikals
10-06-2012, 08:03 PM
hm, oh well, guess i'll have to settle with the YT uploads of behind-the-scenes...

tuomas
10-12-2012, 05:18 AM
For those interested, here's how you can **** with the creatives in the entertainment industry and get awarded for it: http://blog.starwreck.com/2012/10/11/this-is-whats-wrong-with-modern-film-distribution-the-revolver-saga-continues/

We're spreading the word, hoping that the next time someone considers Revolver as a distributor, they find this: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/11cp2r/the_moon_nazi_film_iron_skys_uk_distributor/

erikals
10-12-2012, 06:35 AM
on the other hand, Blind Spot Pictures and Energia Productions seem to have signed a bad contract.
after all they signed it, didn't they read it properly?
i guess worldwide release was out of the question / too costly marketing wise?

tuomas
10-14-2012, 11:41 AM
on the other hand, Blind Spot Pictures and Energia Productions seem to have signed a bad contract.
after all they signed it, didn't they read it properly?
True, but I don't have the details on that. Best guess is that Revolver gave verbal reassurances which, as we know, usually don't mean a thing.

i guess worldwide release was out of the question / too costly marketing wise?
Only major Hollywood studios can enforce global worldwide release schedules. Independents are wholly reliant on local distributors.

ianr
10-15-2012, 09:16 AM
LIGHTWAVE 10 & 11 showcased in 'Iron Sky' for your REFERENCE
is on Youtube: Iron Sky Signal E21,
sadly not included on the DVD- we all wonder why???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpYwqV22p4

jeric_synergy
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I always wonder: was that "globe w/radio tower" rendered in LW or not?

lardbros
10-16-2012, 05:55 AM
LIGHTWAVE 10 & 11 showcased in 'Iron Sky' for your REFERENCE
is on Youtube: Iron Sky Signal E21,
sadly not included on the DVD- we all wonder why???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpYwqV22p4

I was disappointed by the special features... and I got my BluRay from BlindSpot themselves. The BluRay here in the UK appears to have exactly the same special feature... a rather short making of thing... would have been nice to get all the stuff they filmed during the actual making of the film, and was on their website.