PDA

View Full Version : Grass...Man

rcallicotte
01-25-2012, 06:51 AM
http://www.silva3d.com/product.php?id_product=47

Quality grass pack. :thumbsup:

SteveH
01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Did you buy these? They look great but I just wonder how many polygons are they? Does the obj com ein woth the texture maps?

Tzan
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Poly counts below image area.

http://www.silva3d.com/product.php?id_product=45

Waves of light
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
For 7 euros it's worth a punt to give it a go with HD instance or DP instance.

JamesCurtis
01-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Can't figure out how much that set would be in USD. Could someone help?

Dexter2999
01-28-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

JamesCurtis
01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Still not sure - price on site is 33,57 €. What in USD?

Waves of light
01-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Grass pack - 6.95 Euro = 9.18 Dollars
Arch viz Grasses pack 39.95 = 52.80 Dollars

:)

Cryonic
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Use the currency exchange link that was posted. Just be aware that the rates change hourly and different credit cards use different rules for deciding the actual exchange rate they'll charge you.

JamesCurtis
01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Just ordered the Archviz Grasses Collection for about $44 USD. Seemed like the best deal to me. So, now I'm just waiting for the DL link to be sent to me.

Since I also have Vue9 Complete these'll come in handy there as well.

Just a thought - Might be also able to use QemLoss on the models to reduce the poly's on them further for distant foliage too.

Thanks.

Waves of light
01-29-2012, 12:35 PM
James, let us know who you get on. Please post some test renders... maybe with some DPinstance shots.

Philbert
01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
BTW for converting all kind of things, like currency, you can just type into Google (no quotes) "convert 39.95 Euros to USD". and right at the top of the page it gives you "39.95 euros = 52.7859 US dollars"

kopperdrake
01-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Very nice - bought and downloading, in time for the next arch viz job - thanks for the heads-up!

rcallicotte
01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Saving my money. :bday:

As for polygon count, Walli is pretty good about posting what is what. I believe everything you need is included. I've used his stuff before, so if there are questions or even issues of some sort, he's very good about customer care.

Did you buy these? They look great but I just wonder how many polygons are they? Does the obj com ein woth the texture maps?

Walli
01-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I am the new one around here ;-) I noticed that I got "hit" by many newtek forum users and thought I probably should see why ;-)

As was mentioned before - payment and currency conversion is handled by paypal/credit card and not directly on my site. Itīs a small shop and if I would have to do all my finances in two or more currencies, I wouldnīt have the time to build models anymore ;-)
Depending on actual currency rate you have to multiply roughly by 1.3.

I used obj to bring the models to Terragen and Vue, I have also seen them beeing converted to max and as it seems to Lightwave. But I canīt tell you how much work is needed to make them look good inside Lightwave.
Actually I have an older license of Lightwave (I think it was v9), but rarely used it so far, so I am lacking knowledge and speed to offer the needed quality for Lightwave files.

Just let me know, if you want to know more details.

JamesCurtis
01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Got the DL link a few days ago for the Archvis Grasses Collection and have taken a few of the OBJ's into LW 10.1. On loading, the files asked for the textures, which is fairly normal, as LW is normally expecting them to be in an Images directory, but, they loaded fine.

I found I needed to save them out as LWO's for DP_Instance to use them properly. I did a quick scene setup and render with several thousand of instances using one of the large grass patches on a large single poly flat plane, and it worked okay. Render times were a lttle higher than I expected, but I was using a DP Infinite light and traced shadows for the test.

I didn't save out an image of the attempt. I'll do that and test a combination of models when I get a break from doing a client project.

I don't have HD_instance so I don't know how that plugin handles them.

Also, I don't have the LW11 Pre-release yet either, so no report on it either.

kopperdrake
02-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi Walli - thanks again for the models.

For anyone else wanting to get them into LightWave, you need to add the .obj *and* the .mtl files to your 'objects' directory, then the images to the 'images' directory. On importing I decided to apply sub division to all of the geometry, to smooth the curves out, and I also added some translucency to all of the leaf surfaces. I should also have added some specularity and glossiness as well but this was a quick test.

This had the 8 variations on the 'Grass_Mowed' objects applied to a texture-deformed ground plane, using HD Instance to evenly distribute them. Backdrop global illumination was applied, one light source being the sun (direct light) in the distance. No post work.

Nice models - they suffer the same with global illumination rendering time as any detailed model, but there are tips and tricks to get them to render faster, and I'm chuffed with the models themselves - thanks :)

Walli
02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
yes, objects and textures are in separate folders and have to be copied to a directory of your choice. This has been one main request people have been asking for, as they did not like when all files are put into a single folder.

Nice example, now you need some soccer players stomping on the lawn ;-).

kopperdrake
02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
And another, with Rye grass mix. There is one thing Walli, your objects have the same issue LWers get with xFrog's plants as well. Ideally, for LightWave, you would not use the transparency channel for defining the edges of leaves, but rather you would add the leaf alpha image as a clip map under the object properties panel, but with all of the geometry in one layer, the clip map is then applied to all of the geometry, so the stalks and heads also have the clip map applied. So with your objects, as I do with xFrog objects, I split the three leaf types into their own object layers, and have the stalks/heads (non-alpha'd geometry) in another layer. I deactivate the leaf transparency in the surface settings, but I leave the data there. Then, when I bring the object into Layout, it consists of 4 layers - the stalk, which I apply no clip map to, and the 3 leaf layers. Each of these has the relevant clip map applied to them in their own object properties panel, which I can simply copy from the surface panel and paste into the object properties panel, and then reactivate it. I also have to make sure the leaf layers are parented to the stalk layer, so when it is instanced the leaf layers are also instanced with it.

The reason we do this is that clip maps render *a lot* faster in LightWave than transparency maps, and prevent other unwanted render issues.

An ideal way to distribute to LightWavers would be that each grass has its own scene file, as scene files retain the clip map data from the object properties panel - it won't get saved with the object itself, only surface panel data does. So each plant has its own scene file, is already set up with the relevant clip maps, and the objects/image/scenes are all in their own folders that follow the LightWave convention. Then, if I want a particular plant, I just drag its main folder, containing the object/image/scene folder on to my current project folder, the object, scene and images get placed into the correct directories, and I just need to use the command 'Load from scene' to bring it into the working scene. The other way is to spend valuable time going through each plant and preparing it for LightWave as I did with the rye grass and mown grass.

Cheers :)

Walli
02-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I think I have to read two more times to fully understand ;-)
If I understand correct, then the objects come in as one, single piece? And because of that you canīt use clipmaps, right?

Because in Vue for example, the objects comes in as separate parts. Also in Cinema and Vray for Cinema I usually go the separate path way, simply because you then easily can turn on and off some parts of a plant. If you donīt need the smaller twigs, because you put the plant in the back, you can simply turn off.

What could I do, so that the objects come in separate?

best,
Walli

kopperdrake
02-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Yep - in a nutshell that's correct. You need to take your model into LightWave's modeler, and, in the case of the rye grass, separate the polygons into separate object layers. Each object layer needs to contain only those polygons you want affected by a particular clip map. So all of the polygons whose surface needs the 'leaf_3a' clip map applied all go into one object layer and so on. This way, when the object is brought into LightWave's layout, you can then apply the 'leaf_3a' clip map to the relevant layer's object properties panel and have it only affect the geometry it needs to.

However, the clip map data for each object layer, which you have applied in Layout, is not saved with the objects but rather it is saved in the scene file. It's an annoying issue with LightWave. So to overcome this, LightWavers tend to save a plant out and keep the clip map data in the object's transparency channel, as you have, but leave the layer unticked so it doesn't affect the texture. Then, when the object is loaded into a scene, you simply go to the transparency channel in the surface panel, copy the unticked layer, then open the object properties panel, click on the clip map option, paste the layer in there and activate it. It's long-winded but I guess many must do it that way.

But, and no one seems to offer it this way, you could have a scene file for each object which would prevent you even needing to do this! When I get a spare moment I'll prepare a set of files for your Rye grass in the directory structure, model structure and scene structure that I think would work best :)

gerry_g
02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi Walli there is an error with image 'si3d_0029_blos01.tif' from the 'SI3D_0029_Reed_grass-20111205 set' this is for the the accompanying texture set for the obj versions but true also of the C4D set, maybe you would like to look into this

wellsichris
02-01-2012, 09:40 AM
just to expand on what kopperdrake is saying,

you can do separate objects with clip maps which works, or what I have found is also a good option, and may make more sense, is you have an addition UV map as in all in one clip map setup. so I have my leaf UV that cuts out the leaf, and then I take the rest of the tree, scale it way down so it fits inside the leaf, so when set as a clip map, the rest of the tree just says solid, because it's inside the solid part of the leaf, and the leaf is cut out like one would expect. it gets a little more cumbersome when you have many leaves, but it's the same idea, all leaves get cut out like expected, and any solid geometry is smashed down into a solid white part, small enough to fit inside the the leaf's solid section.

hope that makes sense, it's a little easier scene management that way, because, my grass or tree or whatever is one object, I guess if you have many layers, that need different clip maps, the setup time may out way the scene management overhead, hard to say,

gerry_g
02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
don't think separate object thing is true from memory, it's more a case of separate uv maps, meaning you need to untangle he mess of overlaid maps ether by offset or renaming them into new layers (difficult in LW) so the maps are distinct to each layer of the object cos having one consolidated object is more practical for instancing.

kopperdrake
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't say one consolidated object was practical for instancing - as long as the base object that the rest are parented to is the one you instance then the rest should follow, or am I missing something? The low shot above uses 7 base objects all with 2 or 3 parented layers.

However, I do like the idea of a neat one-layer object. To be honest, you could just lay out all of your leaf types and bark on to one large image map and map to that. The solid stalk/stem/trunk geometry, as Chris says, could just sit on a solid portion somewhere really really small. But, I'm guessing that when you're developing for several platforms, the one leaf, one image map solution might be an easier thing to apply across the board?

For the record, the grass sample in the above renders uses 4 separate image maps, three of which are leaves that also have a corresponding alpha map, so I found it easier to just break the object down into 4 separate layers, three of which had their own alpha map, and which were then parented to the stalk/stem layer. It was that layer that was then instanced.

Walli
02-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi Gerry,

I tried the reeds and didnīt have a problem. I also downloaded the files from the shop and tested, but couldnīt see an error message or a missing texture, so I am really not sure, what is going on. Could it be that you loaded the Vray/Surfacespread version and probably donīt have surfacespread installed? But then you should have got a missing plugin notice...