PDA

View Full Version : Exporting LW objects to Maya

djwaterman
01-23-2012, 06:25 AM
How tiresome, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a hundred times, but I can't believe it's 2012 and I have to ask this. My OBJ files import into Maya with unpredictable results, I've tried some of the other options but with no success so in desperation I ask, what is the best way to quickly move objects from Lightwave to Maya? I'm using LW10.1.

Simon-S
01-23-2012, 06:32 AM
What are the 'unpredictable' results? Is it a problem with UV's or geometry?

djwaterman
01-23-2012, 06:41 AM
There are no UV's. It's like none of the vertices are joined, all polygons making up the object are separate so when I smooth the object it becomes a bunch of circles. That's using FBX, my OBJ was also separated to a lesser degree. It's something about geometry I would guess. Should I try loading it into Modo and exporting from there?

Simon-S
01-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Do you need to use fbx? I would just export an OBJ file directly from lightwave. FBX is often quite unpredictable as you say. If that doesn't work I'd try exporting to another app first. I often use Blender as its free and pretty reliable.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 06:57 AM
In obj options you need to set merge verts to on, otherwise all polys will export unwelded from each other.

but the easiest and most reliable route should be FBX... Ive had no problems getting stuff from LW to maya via fbx at all.

Simon-S
01-23-2012, 06:59 AM
In obj options you need to set merge verts to on, otherwise all polys will export unwelded from each other.

but the easiest and most reliable route should be FBX... Ive had no problems getting stuff from LW to maya via fbx at all.

Didn't know there were any export options for OBJ...thanks!

djwaterman
01-23-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't have any OBJ export options at all, not that I can find.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 07:29 AM
general options in modeler... "o" key

djwaterman
01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks, it was already checked by default. I loaded the object into Modo and exported as OBJ and it went into Maya no problem. But I don't want to be doing it that way.

Of course it could be that I have no idea what I'm doing when importing FBX into Maya, there are a lot of settings and I'm just guessing really.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 08:03 AM
yes... much like the export options in LW, maya has options applied at the import stage. Id tell u more... but cant remember them off the top of my head.

bazsa73
01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Lightwave UVs are not exported into the OBJ if you dont assign the UV map to a channel first.