PDA

View Full Version : Desktop goes Red!!?

daforum
01-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,

Just had this problem happen and was wondering if anyone else had suffered the same.
My desktop went Red and anything Black was Red.

I've done a PRam restart - no joy
I've looked at sytem prefs -no problems with display prefs

It only seems to be affecting the Black, not any colours as I can change my desktop to solid colours and all is fine.

The image is an example of what's happening.

So i'm at a loss as to what to do?

daforum
01-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Anyone?
Any help would be much appreciated.

brunopeixoto
01-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Maybe some problems with your graphic card or screen...

brunopeixoto
01-22-2012, 08:14 AM
If you can, try bot your system from another source.

Markc
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Or can you connect an external display, to try and narrow down if it's graphics card or screen!

daforum
01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
If you can, try bot your system from another source.

Hey brunopeixoto, thank you for the reply.
I have booted in all ways possible and still no joy.

Or can you connect an external display, to try and narrow down if it's graphics card or screen!

Hey Markc, thank you for your reply too.
I did connect an external monitor and the black was there but the whites had a bluish/ purple hue (probably needed calibrating) so using an external monitor is still an option, but not one I want to use if I can.

Went to the Apple Store and they plugged in their diagnostic cable. Then all the parts boxes came up on the screen one by one as they were checked, with green ticks in them so it has been diagnosed as being healthy!!

I'm still no clearer on what to do.

brunopeixoto
01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I've suggested to boot from another device - could be a driver corrupted problem.

JonW
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Went to the Apple Store and they plugged in their diagnostic cable. Then all the parts boxes came up on the screen one by one as they were checked, with green ticks in them so it has been diagnosed as being healthy!!

Obviously their diagnostics system is broken!

Is it out of warranty?

If it's only blacks I would have thought it's more a driver issue.

Can you try booting up from the CD.

daforum
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes it's out of warranty.

brunopelxoto, i'm sorry when I said earlier I had tried booting in all ways possible. I just hadn't tried from the CD because I don't know how.

So, I have to admit I've never had to Boot up from the CD.
Can someone explain how to do it, and does it mean I have to reinstall all the system software, because the only discs i have are the Install discs 1 and 2 that came with it?

JonW
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Press the C key during start up. Usually for about the first 30 seconds then you can let go.

It may not help, but as some else said, you need to try & narrow down the reasons. It still may not help at the end of the day but at least you will have tried.

You can also try Safe Mode
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

So far at the very least it looks like from what you said an external screen is ok. At least you can still use the computer.

brunopeixoto
01-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Use disc 1 - choose restart and press and keep pressed the "c" key until you see the apple logo. If the problem is with corrupted drivers, yes, you will have to reinstall the OS.

daforum
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I've done as you have both suggested and it takes me to the Installer page.
Do I need to do anything else or should I restart?

brunopeixoto
01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
You can install over the old OS and after that update it. Oh, I've forgot - did you back up, if not, it's a good idea do it before install the new OS.

daforum
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I haven't backed up yet. I'm on an older OS (10.4.11) and if i install again it will revert back to OSX 10.4.5. I do have the OSX 10.4.11.pkg file on my system.
If I re-install from that .pkg file will that reinstall the OS or drivers?

brunopeixoto
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Sometimes OS's updates includes graphic drivers updates too, but not always.
It's a good idea to cancel the reinstall, backup, then reinstall and update from the net with fresh files.

brunopeixoto
01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
After all, if the problem persist, it's a screen problem.

daforum
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks brunopeixoto. This may take me some time to do, so i'll post again if this works.

As a quick fix though do you know what driver(s) it could be?

daforum
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Press the C key during start up. Usually for about the first 30 seconds then you can let go.

It may not help, but as some else said, you need to try & narrow down the reasons. It still may not help at the end of the day but at least you will have tried.

You can also try Safe Mode
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

So far at the very least it looks like from what you said an external screen is ok. At least you can still use the computer.

Thanks JonW. I did try booting in Safe Mode but that didn't fix it, and yes funnily enough I am still using the machine, even with a red screen i can use LightWave to Model and Animate stuff.
It still renders everything and when I transfer the renders to another machine they are fine.

You suggested it could be a driver issue. Would you know which one?

eblu
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
that my friend, looks like a very old SGI looked after the graphics card (8.5" X 11", a BIG card) cracked.

those vertical lines in the red tell the story. let me ask this: is it everywhere there is black?

here is a diagnostic step...
try adding a new graphics card to the machine (even temporarily, ask a buddy to lend you his for 5 minutes)

if the problem goes away... then you need a new card.

eblu
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
oh crap, you have a macbook. no chance you can swap the card.
ummm... get yourself the head genius at the apple store, and tell him to actually LOOK at the chips for the graphics card.

You might get lucky and there might be physical damage.

eblu
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
i just went back and read the other posts in this thread.

you've either installed third party graphics card tweaking software and are on a bad setting, or you have a broken graphics card.

JonW
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Booting from the CD will be the easiest option to clarify a driver issue.

But unfortunately I think it may by looking more likely what Eblu has suggested.

Since it's only happening with black you could calibrate the screen so blacks look more grey. It's not going to help for retouching photos but it will be ok for everything else.

I would at least copy everything to another computer or set up sharing the hard drive so if the screen goes completely you can still access the computer from elsewhere. Otherwise you will need to rip out the hard drive to get your data, & set up screen mirroring. Give yourself as many options as possible.

JeffrySG
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
So is the issue still happening when you boot from the install CD? I wasn't sure if you said that it was happening after you rebooted from the CD or not.

3DGFXStudios
01-25-2012, 07:20 AM
What happens when you close the laptop and reopen it again? A loose wire maybe?

daforum
01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
So is the issue still happening when you boot from the install CD? I wasn't sure if you said that it was happening after you rebooted from the CD or not.

I'm looking into doing what's been suggested not only here on the Newtek forum but also on the Apple forum, where someone suggested installing the OS onto a new external hard drive and booting from that (which would save me backing up all the HD and then installing again, doing all the updates and re-installing all the apps.

What happens when you close the laptop and reopen it again? A loose wire maybe?

Funny you should ask this as a friend of mine said it could be a loose connection.
I have been closing and re-opening but it's still red.

So it's one of 2 things, either a loose cable connection or a driver issue.

I will do the boot from the CD once I have purchased a new external HD, if this is a recommended way to boot from the OS? Can I plug in an external hard drive, install the OS on that and restart (boot) from the external hard drive?

I can't thank everyone enough for the advice and tips.
...it will be fixed...it will be fixed!!

brunopeixoto
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
It's the right thing to do.

daforum
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Very cool, thank you brunopeixoto :thumbsup:

JonW
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I replaced the hard drive on an old ibook G3 500 MHz, just needed a larger capacity than the 10gb it came with, still got it & it still works fine, a bit slow though! Had to pull the whole computer apart.

I think it's a lot easier on more recent models. Also swapped the HD on my Mac Mini, because it came with the typical crappy small & slow 5400, that was a lot easier.

daforum
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I had an iBook G3 that ran for 9 years until the motherboard went on it, and it would cost too much to replace.
If it still worked I would do that as I loved that machine, and it got me started in 3D so I have a fondness for it, so much so that I still miss using it.

eblu
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
So it's one of 2 things, either a loose cable connection or a driver issue.

no.
it could be that the entire main board needs replacing.

your graphics is on the board, this does NOT look like a loose connection. It looks like a very low level error.

its either:
a software driver issue... which "SHOULD" be impossible unless you have installed 3rd party software, based on what you have already done to test (zap pram.)

or your main board is broken physically (the graphics portion.)

you ruled out MOST driver issues by zapping pram.
a loose cabe would in some way be intermittent, and would not be so specific about what it affects, so the likelihood its a loose cable is low.
screen damage is also ruled out because when the pixels show colors other than black, they are fine.
by running the system in safe mode you ruled out add-ons.

its hardware (75-85%), and its something Very important.

advice: back up your stuff. start considering how you can upgrade to a new machine asap.

JeffrySG
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm looking into doing what's been suggested not only here on the Newtek forum but also on the Apple forum, where someone suggested installing the OS onto a new external hard drive and booting from that (which would save me backing up all the HD and then installing again, doing all the updates and re-installing all the apps.

But have you at least tried booting from the install CD? You don't need to actually do anything - just boot from the CD. If things look fine once you boot from the CD it's probably software related. Then you can figure out where to go from that point but at least you know it's probably not your hardware.

daforum
01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Hi JeffreySG.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say I don't need to do anything?
When I started up from the CD (holding down the "C" key) it took me to the Install menu, so I thought that I'm going to have to do a fresh install (preferebly on an external HD) if I want to check if it's software.

What else can I do from the install menu?

lwanmtr
01-27-2012, 06:16 PM
another option is to look at the system profiler, get the model of your graphics and go directly to the website (ati, nvidia) and see if there is an update to the drivers...not sure about 10.4, but i know nvidia released some for 10.6

daforum
01-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Just wondering if I can just boot from the CD without installing?
Do I just choose Startup disc> Mac OS (...)>Restart?
Will that work or will it install everything again?

I'm a bit lost when it comes to doing this, and I might have to take it in to get the cable looked at (if it is that) and that's in the next 30 mins.
I would like to go there and say I don't need to.

jwiede
01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Boot from the install CD, then look at the menus present when the Installer comes up, one should offer Disk Utility. Select that and run the checks. You don't have to install.

OnlineRender
01-30-2012, 09:07 AM
sounds like a dodgy wire to me , my dsub cable does that and I need to balance it in the most awkward way to get the monitor to go back to normal...

daforum
01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Boot from the install CD, then look at the menus present when the Installer comes up, one should offer Disk Utility. Select that and run the checks. You don't have to install.

Thank you John :)
Funnily enough I did that at the beginning of January (I verified Disk Permissions, Repaired Disk Permissions and Verified and Repaired the Disk too) and then I ran the Hardware test from the Install disc (which reported no Hardware problems) and strangely the problem went away during the test, because when I restarted the machine the screen was back to normal, until I used the Internet and after about 2 hours of online time the screen switched back to red again.

So I'm concluding it could be a Software problem, or it could be Hardware...
:confused:

daforum
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
sounds like a dodgy wire to me , my dsub cable does that and I need to balance it in the most awkward way to get the monitor to go back to normal...

Yep, my instincts are telling me it's a cable issue, but I can't open it up myself so I've sent it into a shop for them to see.

They will probably tell me it's not and they don't know what's causing the problem!!

AAARRRGGH!!!

daforum
03-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Can happily report that my Laptop is back and running fine - hooray!!
Was told by the repair shop it was a graphics chip that had lifted from the board, so had to be re-welded (or re-balled)
I've been testing for 2 weeks (and have done 2 freelance jobs on it) with no return to the red nightmare!

Thanks to everyone on and off the forum and who offered their support, either here or via PM's; and I now know a lot more about Macs so hopefully I can offer the same support to others when they have similar issues.