PDA

View Full Version : Apple iBook Author: Export to Collada

GlassDPM
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Hello All,

I'm toying around with the iBooks author and am having trouble getting my exported scenes to Collada.

I'm doing everything it says here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5093

But I keep getting an error message saying, "The 3D file 'testobject' wasn't added. The scene couldn't be loaded. Your book wasn't changed"

Any pointers on how to export a usable Collada object for the iBooks author 3D object wideget? I'm using 10.1 on OSX Lion

Thanks,
Nick

Simon-S
01-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Have you triangulated your geometry?

bobmason
01-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm having the same problem getting iBook Author to accept objects exported as collada .dae. I tripled the object, its 5000 ploys. Can't make it work.

precedia
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Can't make it work.

Fails for me too.

Blender works just fine. Sigh.

Nigel Baker
01-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi All,

I have always had problems with the export of Lightwaves Collada.
The only way I ever get it to work is if I export it into SketchUp (files size restricting) and then exporting it again as a Collada.

The SketchUp collada export works then in iBooks Author but the preview is not completely correct.

Regards,
Nigel

Nigel Baker
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Hello All,

Now that LW11 is out, I started straight away on the Collade export issue.
As before I can not view the Collada in the Mac environment (Preview) nor will it import into iBooks Author.

It will however load into SketchUp and then I export from there and import into Collada.
Is anyone else having different experience?

Regards,
Nigel

GlassDPM
02-22-2012, 05:23 AM
Hello All,

Now that LW11 is out, I started straight away on the Collade export issue.
As before I can not view the Collada in the Mac environment (Preview) nor will it import into iBooks Author.

It will however load into SketchUp and then I export from there and import into Collada.
Is anyone else having different experience?

Regards,
Nigel

My workflow has been:
Lightwave export to COLLADA > Import to Sketchup, then immediately export to COLLADA again.

That seems to work. Large poly's also fail for me, too. :-(

Nigel Baker
02-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi GlassDMP,

Yes it looks like we have the same workflows but the additional step should not be in here in my mind from a professional 3D package. Also there is a massive file size increase in a LW Exported Collaada file of 2 megs then into SketchUp and exported again with nothing done to it and now it is 9 Megs.

Seems a bit excessive.

Have you found any on line resources about iBooks and 3D models. The Apple site seems pretty sparse.

Thanks and Regards,
Nigel

GlassDPM
02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Have you found any on line resources about iBooks and 3D models. The Apple site seems pretty sparse.

Try http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5093

tomsomething
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I found a solution that works for me: removing spaces from material names. I ran into the same problem yesterday. The COLLADA file was working just fine, and then after some adjustments, iBooks Author wouldn't open it. In addition, Preview couldn't open it.

I started a new Blender project and tried to retrace my steps, exporting it to COLLADA and bringing it into iBooks every time I changed something. I was at my wits end until I finally found it: a space in one of my material names.

When my project had a material called "Black Plastic", it wouldn't work. When I changed it to "BlackPlastic", everything was fine. Is it Blender's fault? Is it Apple's fault? Is it my fault? Who knows, but hopefully your problems are caused my something similar.

Scazzino
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
If that's the case then it could be as simple as someone forgetting to properly handle strings as quoted strings in the code on one of the importers/exporters somewhere along the line. Similar issues tend to crop up when manually dealing with file paths that contain spaces or odd characters. Does the Collada specification allow spaces in surface names? I was just wrestling with that issue myself while updating my DLI_SNUB-Launcher file path handling (as well as converting between Mac ":" and POSIX "/" paths).

Jenaro
04-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Sometimes (not too many) it works fine for me exporting to obj and importing into Poser 2010. Then export it to collada and that's it!!. When UV maps look wrong in poser after importing an obj (it's another issue), exporting to collada doesn't work in ibooks author.

It's an issue that should be fixed. I'm considering not to update to LW11 (unless it fix it) and change, after several years using LW, to another tool.

uklumpp
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Does the Collada specification allow spaces in surface names?

Here is a snippet from the COLLADA 1.4.1. schema (http://www.khronos.org/files/collada_schema_1_4):

<xs:complexType name="common_newparam_type">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="semantic" type="xs:NCName" minOccurs="0"/>
<xs:choice>
<xs:element name="float" type="float"/>
<xs:element name="float2" type="float2"/>
<xs:element name="float3" type="float3"/>
<xs:element name="float4" type="float4"/>
<xs:element name="surface" type="fx_surface_common"/>
<xs:element name="sampler2D" type="fx_sampler2D_common"/>
</xs:choice>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="sid" type="xs:NCName" use="required">
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation>
The sid attribute is a text string value containing the sub-identifier of this element.
This value must be unique within the scope of the parent element. Optional attribute.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:attribute>
</xs:complexType>

In a nutshell: The scoped ID of the container of surfaces and samplers is of type xs:NCName, which means "non-colonized name", or that there are limitations of what characters can be used. No ":" for example, but also no whitespace. The same is true for names of materials and effects. Whitespace is commonly replaced by "-" or "_" in other tools. So it sounds like iBook Author is behaving correctly.

I was just wrestling with that issue myself while updating my DLI_SNUB-Launcher file path handling

Paths are of xs:anyURI type. Similar, but slightly less restricted.

uklumpp
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Sometimes (not too many) it works fine for me exporting to obj and importing into Poser 2010. Then export it to collada and that's it!!. When UV maps look wrong in poser after importing an obj (it's another issue), exporting to collada doesn't work in ibooks author.

It's an issue that should be fixed. I'm considering not to update to LW11 (unless it fix it) and change, after several years using LW, to another tool.

Not sure whether it helps your workflow, but LWO import and COLLADA export are improved in Poser Pro 2012.

Nigel Baker
04-11-2012, 03:26 AM
I think the people at NewTek should look into this. And see where the fault lies, and if they an do something about it all the better. What is the point in having Collada and not been able to use it in iBooks Author.

I am also having other Collada issues which I do not understand.
I can open up Collada files in modeller, when I am in Layout and send the file to modeller, it opens up an empty file. How can I change my collada model in modeller, like add or delete polygons to.

Also I noticed a collada file with over 90,000 polygons gets split into two model files, which then means any UV maps imported are now no longer one UV map but two separate ones.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Regards Nigel