PDA

View Full Version : BSG Blood and Chrome

Markc
01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Imdb lists the pilot episode release as 1 March 2013!
Anyone have any other news (web or broadcast?)
I don't think this will ever happen......:(

mcotner
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
"Battlestar Galactica: Blood And Chrome is finished, and I have some free time to get back to the Drex Files!"

I don't think it will be that long before it comes out.

thomascheng
01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
What is taking so long? I'm really looking forward to it.

Ryan Roye
01-22-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm almost certain this series will be absolutely terrible.

...I want to be proven wrong so badly... I don't know how much more jaded I can get in regards to mainstream entertainment.

robpowers3d
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm almost certain this series will be absolutely terrible.

...I want to be proven wrong so badly... I don't know how much more jaded I can get in regards to mainstream entertainment.

Well i've only seen some of the effects shots and not the entire show but what I saw was fantastic! Some of the best effects shots that i've seen on television ever.

RebelHill
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Well i've only seen some of the effects shots and not the entire show but what I saw was fantastic! Some of the best effects shots that i've seen on television ever.

Sounds to me like the folks at the helm of things STILL havent figured out that no-one cares how good ro bad the FX are... if the story/characters are crap... its ALL crap.

Y'know... like avatar.

probiner
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
That sure is a problem Rebehill, but like I think it would also be your opinion, the Maestro is to blame, not the guy happily playing the Tuba =)

shrox
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds to me like the folks at the helm of things STILL havent figured out that no-one cares how good ro bad the FX are... if the story/characters are crap... its ALL crap.

Y'know... like avatar.

Avatar had a great 10 minute story.

Cageman
01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Avatar in 3D was more than just a story though... it was an experience, and a pretty cool one I have to add.

Effectwork done in television/film are probably viewed as good/medicore/bad (depending on the individual) no matter if the story/characters works or not. Most of the target audience probably don't care too much about the VFX, unless it falls into the bad category.

If the VFX is bad, it will be bad, no matter how well the story and characters are doing.

Cageman
01-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Y'know... like avatar.

Well... if what you say is true... then why did Blood and Chrome consist of about 10 VFX guys... I mean... they should have hired ILM/WETA to do the effects work, if that is what they thought is going to sell the show... no?

Elmar Moelzer
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Sci Fi channel has turned into a total piece of corporate crap TV- channel.
There is not a single new scifi show in it right now and you have to be lucky to see reruns of old scifi shows. Generally there is no good scifi on TV right now, which really annoys me. I WANT MY SPACESHIPS!
;)
Either way, SyFy viewers are instead able to enjoy 40 variations of ghost hunters and other paranormal, so called reality shows.
All cheaply produced BS. I thik that the plan of the corporate owners is to completely rid the channel of its core audience and then bleed it out and finally kill it off.
As it is right now, I wont shed a tear.

erikals
01-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Y'know... like avatar.

plenty of good story/characters in BSG, so not sure what you mean...

 

RebelHill
01-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Well... if what you say is true... then why did Blood and Chrome consist of about 10 VFX guys... I mean... they should have hired ILM/WETA to do the effects work, if that is what they thought is going to sell the show... no?

well... budget, ofc, otherwise everyone would hire ILM.

and eye candy always sells... even if just the once.

TBH, I am probably somewhat biased... I dont really care much for scifi fantasy, or pretty much anything containing a lot of (obvious) fx work. Desperate housewives, six feet under, and a good ol romcom are much more my cup of tea.

Elmar Moelzer
01-22-2012, 04:53 PM
The last half of the last episode of BSG totally ruined the show for me. I mean really? They are giving up all technology and want to live like nomadic tribes? I predict 90% of them to be dead within a year. The cylons only killed 25% of them within 4 years. I will try my luck with the cylons thanks (and those were destroyed anyway).
And then the whole angel thing... dont even get me started on all that.
So yeah that was a big let down.

erikals
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
...Desperate housewives.

ok, now you made me spit out my coffee... :caffeine:
 

Cageman
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
well... budget, ofc, otherwise everyone would hire ILM.

Or hire really, really crap actors for $5 / day and but the rest of the budget in the hands of the VFX-wizards... that doesn't happen because even the most dead-on suit will understand that it doesn't work.

and eye candy always sells... even if just the once.

Not sure this is that true anymore though... go back 5-10 years.. yes. While I am a sucker for good VFX, it wouldn't work without the characters and some form of story, no matter how simple it might be. Good, well played and likable characters + VFX works for me. :)

TBH, I am probably somewhat biased... I dont really care much for scifi fantasy, or pretty much anything containing a lot of (obvious) fx work. Desperate housewives, six feet under, and a good ol romcom are much more my cup of tea.

I prefer series/movies that takes me away from Earth as we know it, since I want to see or experience things I normaly don't do in real life. I'm all for series such as Terra Nova, Lost, BSG, The Walking Dead, No Ordinary Family, Heroes, American Horror Story... well... the list can be made long. :)

probiner
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
What... no Dr.House RebelHill? :D
And most shows have lots of unoticed VFX, but that's not what the show rides on. That's the point. (not saying this one does, because it's not even seen...)

Cheers

RebelHill
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I want to see or experience things I normaly don't do in real life.

ahhh, I guess thats what makes the difference. For me, unless the real thing is right there, six inches in front of my face... its not an "experience", its just a pretty picture.

Ernest
01-22-2012, 06:30 PM
The way my long-term memory works, when I remember something I did, when I remember something I watched right in front of me, and when I remember something I watched on TV or in a movie, as long as it's more than a couple of months away, they all feel exactly the same.

And FX do sell a show/movie by themselves, but only if they're a technological breakthrough, like the unveiling of the world's tallest building. If it's just going to be yet another middle-sized skyscraper, you'd better have good stores inside.

robpowers3d
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Y'know... like avatar.

RebelHill,
Thanks for your kind words ;) Actually, in my opinion story and acting are the most important elements but I actually haven't seen anything but the effects for BSG Blood and Chrome yet so I can't comment on them at this point.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
RebelHill,
Thanks for your kind words ;) Actually, in my opinion story and acting are the most important elements but I actually haven't seen anything but the effects for BSG Blood and Chrome yet so I can't comment on them at this point.

yeeeeaaa... Im only 'avin a laugh.

Ryan Roye
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Eh, I didn't think Avatar was *that* bad... my main issue is that the movie may as well have been called "Sci-fi Pocahontas" or something like that... which means I felt like I had watched the whole movie before it even reached the 10 minute point.

SBowie
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Eh, I didn't think Avatar was *that* bad..Actually, it may somewhat demonstrate a salient point in that a) the story was unremarkable at best, b) the reverse was true of the fx, and yet c) I think it made several dollars at the box office.

robpowers3d
01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
yeeeeaaa... Im only 'avin a laugh.

Well as long as were just 'avin a laugh. Piss off! :) Just kidding. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. And every film isn't for everyone. But I can say that Avatar was a blast to work on and I enjoyed working with the team.

Shnoze Shmon
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
its ALL crap.

Y'know... like avatar.

Whoa! Dissing the big guy:tsktsk: Yeah yer next upgrade is gunna have an exclusive plugin now.:rolleyes:

Generally there is no good scifi on TV right now, which really annoys me. I WANT MY SPACESHIPS!

:agree::thumbsup:

I dont really care much for scifi fantasy, or pretty much anything containing a lot of (obvious) fx work. Desperate housewives, six feet under, and a good ol romcom are much more my cup of tea.

No accounting for taste:neener:

The last half of the last episode of BSG totally ruined the show for me. I mean really? They are giving up all technology and want to live like nomadic tribes? I predict 90% of them to be dead within a year. The cylons only killed 25% of them within 4 years. I will try my luck with the cylons thanks (and those were destroyed anyway).
And then the whole angel thing... dont even get me started on all that.
So yeah that was a big let down.

We have a winner! This guy hit the target dead on!

Or hire really, really crap actors for $5 / day and but the rest of the budget in the hands of the VFX-wizards... that doesn't happen because even the most dead-on suit will understand that it doesn't work.

No no no no no! Shhh! thats NOT what we want everyone to think. We want them hiring TONS of VFX guys and paying them LOTS of money. Go ahead and scrimp on the actors and writers... were fine with that...

lino.grandi
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM

I care about both.

Y'know... like avatar.

Avatar is a great movie. Entertaining, visually incredible and without any doubt, a planetary success.

I would have loved to have worked on that.

Bill Carey
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Sci Fi channel has turned into a total piece of corporate crap TV- channel.
There is not a single new scifi show in it right now and you have to be lucky to see reruns of old scifi shows. Generally there is no good scifi on TV right now, which really annoys me. I WANT MY SPACESHIPS!
;)
Either way, SyFy viewers are instead able to enjoy 40 variations of ghost hunters and other paranormal, so called reality shows.
All cheaply produced BS. I thik that the plan of the corporate owners is to completely rid the channel of its core audience and then bleed it out and finally kill it off.
As it is right now, I wont shed a tear.

You are so completely right on this! I make a point to write them occasionally to tell them the same thing.

The only good answer for now is Netflix, until someone figures out that there is room for a SciFi channel since SyFy decided to move out. They use the ratings from those pathetic movies they churn out as an excuse to buy more ghost hunters. If they ever took the time to proof read the plots and scripts for stupidity..... They should look around for a modern Rod Serling instead of giving the movies to Ben Afflect's newspaper boys ugly twin brothers cousin.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Piss off! :)

ahaha

But no, Im sure it was and the folks were, and no-one can say a word against the accomplishment of the visuals, its THE leading work.

But Im one who only really finds fx "interesting", and the story (and especially the dialogue) was like a saturday morning kids cartoon. I mean unobtanium?? Just hit mute, put the CD player on, and watch the pretty pictures is my sorta speed for that fella.

Ryan Roye
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
...was like a saturday morning kids cartoon. I mean unobtanium??

In "mega X" of the animated megaman series, Botanium is mentioned... so, uno-btanium... add an o after the b...

my god you are right!

deg
01-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, speaking as a BSG fan, and someone who has seen Blood and Chrome; I objectively think it kicks a s s, no two ways about it.

As for VFX heavy/driven shows; I absolutely watch them for the VFX, no 'bout a doubt it! Sure I want good story and characters as well, but I can (also) get that aspect on other non-VFX (visible VFX anywho) shows (and if VFX are done right, they become integreal “characters” in the show (take the Enterprise or the Galactica for instance), as it should be, IMO).

I enjoyed Caprica for story and characters quite a bit. I thought is was a brave direction to take the franchise. But in the end, what did it lack that brought it down? High-flying spaceships and fighting robots, aka VFX as a character in the story. Fans (like myself anywho) want and expect a good dose o' VFX eye-candy. It's what makes these types of shows the type of shows they are. It's what a science-fiction fan (like myself) expects, and is simply a huge part of what draws me to them.

Even BSG, in the middle seasons: I asked myself: When they heck am I going to see another dog-fight? as it had become neck-deep in talking heads as drama. And that's great for a drama, but I want spaceships in dog-fights along with my drama, for the base reason; I'm a sci-fi fan. I want the catalyst of my drama to be based on/driven by experiences that are fantastical and require VFX to impart as story aspects.

No show is going to please everyone across the board, I get that. Nature of humans and subjective opinion, but come the day that Blood and Chrome does air (can't wait), I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.

deg

Markc
01-28-2012, 03:00 PM
As quoted in Monty Python's Life of Brian,
You Lucky Lucky B......d!

I am really desperate for a BSG fix.
Even with the 'drama' I did enjoy Caprica, only to be left hanging....:)