PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Plugin Editor

Spinland
01-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Haven't had success searching the documentation and the Internet so here goes.

In the Plugin Editor, what is the significance of the leftmost column headed by a lock icon? More specifically, what does it mean when I add a plugin, either directly or by scanning a directory, and it appears in the Editor with a "P" in that column?

Many thanks in advance!

Sensei
01-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Plugins are added to database but they're not loaded automatically to application. When you're clicking their buttons, they're loaded for real and icon indicate that plugin is still running and can't be removed from Edit Plugins.

Spinland
01-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the response but I don't understand it.

When I open th Editor it lists a lot of plugins and from what I see none of them have anything in that leftmost column. I installed a new plugin onto my computer and then manually added it to the list using the Editor in Layout. It now shows up in the Editor list but it does not work and there is the letter P in that leftmost column. The documentation says nothing about that column nor what the P means.

I don't understand about clicking any buttons, I'm just trying to install the plugin and thus far having no luck.

Sensei
01-21-2012, 07:15 AM
That all depends on plugin class.
There are plugin which run parallel to LightWave, f.e. Master Layout, Node, Shader, Custom Polygon. These plugins are showing P in locked state, when they're added to scene.

When you're adding plugin you need to Edit > Edit Menu Layout/Edit Keyboard Layout and attach newly added plugin to LW interface. Or pick it up in some drop-down list like new node or shader or master.

Spinland
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
This plugin is only to import Poser files, so it has no tab or label or other interface to add. After I manually add it to the Editor list I am still unable to open such files.

Sensei
01-21-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't know plugin you're referring to.
Check out how it was implemented- open Edit Plugins and click it in File mode, so all entries will be displayed, and show screen-shot to us.

There are two ways of implementing such plugins- as ObjectLoader plugin class or MeshDataEdit, or CommandSequence.
Two last methods can be used only in Modeler. And you need to search for plugin and make new button for it in LW interface. So, no File > Load Object!
f.e. mine TrueOBJImport
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueOBJImport
is example of such plugin, needs adding button in Modeler, and using it in Modeler. Then after saving object can be used in Layout.

Spinland
01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
This is the Poser Fusion 2012 plugin. The way it is supposed to work is you install it, then the next time you open Layout it prompts you for the registration key, give it the path to the Poser application, and then you're done. From then on you use the normal File-Load Scene and the .pz3 file type is enabled and you can load Poser scenes directly into Layout. It worked like that when I used Poser Fusion 2010 for Lightwave 9.6.1 for the Mac, but since I've upgraded to 10.1 and downloaded the new plugin I'm having no luck.

Attached is a screen shot of the Editor dialog showing the plugin.

Sensei
01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Try with LW v11.. 2012 year? Wow.. They're quick, we just have 21 January..
Maybe they compiled with LWSDK v11, and there is used global class, which is available in LW v11, and not in older..

Spinland
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Hmm. The documentation for the plugin says only up to 10.1, and their tech support seemed baffled why it wasn't loading. I haven't paid for an 11 upgrade so I don't think I'm eligible.

Sensei
01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Documentation are always behind applications.
Ask tech support whether developers used LWSDK v11..

Spinland
01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I'll do that, thanks!

Spinland
01-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Quick followup question: under File->Load Scene is the navigation dialog box supposed to give a drop-down to select file type?

Spinland
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Solved it! Their installer is putting the plugin into:

/Applications/NewTek/LightWave3D10.1/support/plugins

I manually moved the Fusion plugin folder to here:

~/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/10.1/plugins

Now it's working. :thumbsup: