PDA

View Full Version : Cannot add plugins

adrian
01-21-2012, 04:06 AM
I must be doing something wrong but I cannot add any more plugins. I'm trying to add the plg_relax one:

* Utilites --> Plugins --> Add plugin
* Browse to where the .p file is
* Double-click on it
* LW says "1 plugin found in 1 file"
* Click on "done"
* Utilities --> Additional --> nowhere to be found

Closing down modeler and restarting makes no difference.

I tried it with the unwrap plugin too and same thing happened.

I've managed to do this simplist of tasks before so I just don't understand what the heck is going on. :help:

wrench
01-21-2012, 05:56 AM
It's not a 32/64 thing is it?

B

evenflcw
01-21-2012, 06:44 AM
You got the message that it was installed. Looking under Additional is neither easy, reliable nor does it give you full coverage*. Try looking in the meny configuration panel, used the search and find functions. If you still can't find it there try the Edit plugins panel to confirm that it really wasn't installed.

*The name of the plugin can be something other than you're looking for. There's the spoken name, the filename, the servers name, the long button name, the short button name. Each can be different. New plugins might not be placed where you expect them to under Additionals (ie bottom). Added plugins might not be placed into Additional at all(!), if, for example the plugin was already installed! etc ...

adrian
01-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I followed the same procedure on my laptop installation of LW and they both loaded fine, and show up in Additional as I would expect.

So who knows what is going on. Guess I can't have any more plugins in my main LW installation without re-installing the software.

evenflcw
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Did you check the Edit Plugins panel?

zardoz
01-21-2012, 04:27 PM
when you check the plugins panel in file mode can you see it listed there?

adrian
01-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Hi, yep checked the edit plugins panel, they are both there. Also did scan directory, again both there. Just won't show up so I can use them.

Doesn't matter which plugin I try either. No other problems with LW (I'm using 9.6).

evenflcw
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
If they are in your Edit Plugin panel they should be available (unless you've moved the files after install). If LW doesn't add them automatically to Additional, you should still be able to find them in the Configure Menus and Keys and assign them to wherever/whatever you want. Again, if they were already installed, they won't be automatically placed under Additional. Additional is not a dynamic menu, there is not a one-to-one relation between it and what plugins you have installed. There are certain conditions when plugins are not added to Additionals.

Sensei
01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Click Edit > Edit Menu Layout, then click Search, and enter plg, and you should find it..
Always enter the smallest unique part of name in search field.

adrian
01-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Yep did that, it finds it fine - but I can't open it to use it :bangwall:

Danner
01-23-2012, 04:34 AM
now that you found it, add it to a menu
or use alt F9 to add it to a shortcut.

erikals
01-23-2012, 08:02 AM
sometimes the name of the plugin "name.p" is not the same as the name found under the additional menu.

this is another reason why i always wanted a "sort plugins by date" function

Sensei
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Just highlight newly added plugins in Edit Plugins, Edit Menu Layout and Edit Shortcuts..
Automatically ask whether to assign plugins to some buttons, inside of Edit Plugins.

erikals
01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
...Automatically ask whether to assign plugins to some buttons, inside of Edit Plugins.

hi, can't find this one... (or is this a feature request?)

wrench
01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
In my 64-bit LightWave, I have:

plg_Align_Chart_Dir
plg_Make_UV
plg_Make_UV_Edit
plg_Make_UV_Chart
plg_Relax_UV

I found them by hitting Alt F10 and Searching for plg. Now that I have located them, I can drag them over to the list on the right of the window to add them to a menu as shown.

B

Sensei
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
hi, can't find this one... (or is this a feature request?)

Yeah.. Feature request.. :)

Also- add filters in Edit Menu/Keyboard/Edit Plugins - if some plugin has string matching filter, then it's listed, otherwise disappear.

Submitted 1+ year ago
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?36165_14348dmj

erikals
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
ah... yes, would be good :]