PDA

View Full Version : Low poly political humor, can it work?

shrox
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Sometimes a cartoon that is not very well drawn can be pretty funny. Can renderings of low poly models be good enough for something like political cartoons? I did this one after hearing about Romney strapping the dog in a carrier to the roof of their car!

akademus
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I think you need to define the style first and foremost and declare it to others in a clear way so people accept it and look over (obvious) flaws and concentrate on the story the most. What bothers me in you image is the face while the both characters are the same low poly ones they are different in texturing and thus have different appearance. Both Simpsons and South Park are simple looking so they can be mass produced, one episode of south park takes a week to make.

shrox
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Just trying something different. I've even been drawing on real paper!

wrench
01-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Olly Reid, the animator for some of Robbie Williams early videos and one of the team on the Gorillaz, made an excellent animation concerning GW Bush. I have it here and it still makes me laugh, but I didn't manage to find it on YouTube or Vimeo (although Olly has other animation on there - his E4 and Channel 4 work is beautiful and surreal).

B
PS. Oh by the way, the animation is called "The Weakest Link" - good luck finding it instead of the game show...

Traveler
01-21-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm sure it can work quite well. But like akademus said, keep to a certain style. The dog in your example looks out of place to me. I think I would have gone without a texture.

XswampyX
01-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Olly Reid, the animator for some of Robbie Williams early videos and one of the team on the Gorillaz, made an excellent animation concerning GW Bush. I have it here and it still makes me laugh, but I didn't manage to find it on YouTube or Vimeo (although Olly has other animation on there - his E4 and Channel 4 work is beautiful and surreal).

B
PS. Oh by the way, the animation is called "The Weakest Link" - good luck finding it instead of the game show...

http://www.hotheadfilms.co.uk/65_weakest_missing_link.php#/65_weakest_missing_link/

Enjoy.

wrench
01-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Yay, well found XSwampyX.

B

Surrealist.
01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Not much on politics, political humor, or anything related. But the image looks fine if that is what you are asking. It works in that genre quite well. I like the almost fantasy feel it has.

probiner
01-21-2012, 06:10 PM
There's a downloadable, low-polygon Guy Fawkes mask for you! ^^
http://www.flickr.com/photos/samyii/1336393086/

shrox
01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
There's a downloadable, low-polygon Guy Fawkes mask for you! ^^
http://www.flickr.com/photos/samyii/1336393086/

I don't need no stinkin' mask!

djwaterman
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Low poly model looks like a low poly model, therefore takes away from message or joke, unless the low poly model is the joke, but that would be some kind of 3D designer inside nerd joke and not for the mass consumer, political humor is meant to be for the mass consumer, so unfortunately you have to put more work into making the image look good and that can't be done with the low poly, sorry. Best do it on paper if speed is your thing, or with a tablet.

Pamela G. Juust
01-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Low poly model looks like a low poly model, therefore takes away from message or joke, unless the low poly model is the joke, but that would be some kind of 3D designer inside nerd joke and not for the mass consumer, political humor is meant to be for the mass consumer, so unfortunately you have to put more work into making the image look good and that can't be done with the low poly, sorry. Best do it on paper if speed is your thing, or with a tablet.

I disagree. Image being good artisticly and having effect on people has nothing to do with the polygon count of models made for it.

Serling
01-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Sometimes a cartoon that is not very well drawn can be pretty funny. Can renderings of low poly models be good enough for something like political cartoons? I did this one after hearing about Romney strapping the dog in a carrier to the roof of their car!

Not a Romney fan myself, but the only critique I'd offer is if the mitt over his head were reversed, it would work as a visual double entendre: "mitt" being both his name and the state where he was born (Michigan).

Ryan Roye
01-22-2012, 08:24 AM
I can't help but think of that game alone in the dark when I look at this one...

I think it could work personally, just a matter of editing/painting/smoothing out any points of geometry that would be hard to pose without geometry anomalies.

but then again, I'm really biased towards this kind of stuff so what's my opinion matter? :)

shrox
01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Not a Romney fan myself, but the only critique I'd offer is if the mitt over his head were reversed, it would work as a visual double entendre: "mitt" being both his name and the state where he was born (Michigan).

HA! Brilliant!

archijam
01-23-2012, 03:44 AM
If the posing, lighting, and texturing are good, I see no problem.

Here my problem is not the number of polies, it's the details .. the head is so small, the post stiff and the hand looks like its either pointing or scratching his leg. The dog's pose and texture is also off IMHO.

Here is the best example I can think of the power of low poly:

http://vimeo.com/19723116

Fantastic stuff!

JonW
01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Some of our best cartoons in Australia have been the most simple line drawings, & even just getting precisely the right curve in one single line can make or break the cartoon.

It's really difficult to get to the point & strip out all else, but this is where a cartoon works at it's best.

djwaterman
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I disagree with the disagree's, it just looks like a bunch of low poly objects thrown together, with texture stretching and so on, that's a distraction in 3D, unless the art style was making a point of a boxy low poly look, which this image isn't. Sorry Shrox, I've seen your other stuff so I know you are very good at your art, but this isn't working in my book, so I answer your initial question in the negative.

renderwerx
01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
just my opinion...

The cartoon you made looks fantastic.
I have no idea who the guy is but I assume he's not everyone's
favorite, in the political sense, respectively.

it always depends what message you wanna bring to the viewer
it doesn't matter if low-poly or high-detail....that's a question
of esthetics and the more pretty doesn't always mean the better.
It is always matter of subject.

shrox
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
just my opinion...

The cartoon you made looks fantastic.
I have no idea who the guy is but I assume he's not everyone's
favorite, in the political sense, respectively.

it always depends what message you wanna bring to the viewer
it doesn't matter if low-poly or high-detail....that's a question
of esthetics and the more pretty doesn't always mean the better.
It is always matter of subject.

This is why the dog is in there...

http://www.dogsagainstromney.com/

Mitt Romney strapped his poor dog in a carrier to the roof of his car and drove to Canada for 12 hours, and then hosed the poor dog down and left him up there for hours more after he became sick and pooped himself.

Philbert
01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Low poly seems to work well for Next Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=nZby2Se6YJs&annotation_id=annotation_828463&v=6967dpKBzFo

renderwerx
01-27-2012, 04:17 AM
This is why the dog is in there...

http://www.dogsagainstromney.com/

Mitt Romney strapped his poor dog in a carrier to the roof of his car and drove to Canada for 12 hours, and then hosed the poor dog down and left him up there for hours more after he became sick and pooped himself.

looks like the guy needs professional treatment
that's just SICK!!!