PDA

View Full Version : what can video toaster do for me ?

rednova
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Dear Friends:

I have lightwave 9.6 complete and is good enough for all my animation needs.
I only need a good editing suite, and I do have the one that comes for free
with the pc.I have the freebie, but i would like to get a better editing tool.
I am thinking about getting a pc video toaster, but don't know much about it.
I have a question:
What can the video toaster do for me ? Including the editing tools.
Please tell me about the video toaster.

Rednova

Dexter2999
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Video Toaster is a standard definition digital video switching system originally (Amiga days) intended to replace expensive professional video switchers for real time video purposes.

For editing, and I take it you mean non-linear editing, a Video Toaster probably isn't going to be the best tool for you.

As far as non-linear editing programs go there are many including one made by Newtek, SpeedEdit. I'm sure the forum owners would be happy to sell you a copy.

They may not be so happy to see suggestions that you investigate other software such as Sony Vegas, or Adobe's Premier Pro. If Premier has one thing going for it, it is that is is seamless with Adobe After Effects...which sooner or later you come to use an compositing product and chances are this will be the one you get (going by the numbers).

Blender, which is free, also has an incorperated NLE. Blender also has 3D tools that you may want to investigate that work to compliment some of the needs that LW is perhaps lacking in such as liquid simulation.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your search.

rwhunt99
01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
I agree with Dexter, Sony Vegas is relatively cheap and is a good NLE, You could try Adobe Premier pro or even a cheap Corel video studio can work wonders for a small job. It all depends on what you are tying to do.
Video toaster which includes Lightwave is more of a TV studio in a box and is a bit of overkill just to do some editing. There are some free ones on the web if you Google it also.

Surrealist.
01-21-2012, 04:38 PM
What can the video toaster do for me ?

I kind of like the idea of starting out with the lower priced Sony Vegas offerings and upgrade as you find you need the features.