PDA

View Full Version : FFX fiber thickness

greg.reyna
01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I can't figure out a way to make FiberFX create thick fibers, something like short bits of yarn, yet still keep the whole group of fibers close together so the background object can't be seen between them. Anyone know a trick before I go into deep exploration mode?

Thanks,
Greg

Mitja
01-20-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't do thick fibers. Maybe in lw11, but we'll have to wait until it's out.

Dodgy
01-20-2012, 05:18 AM
11 has a full tube render volumetric mode, which can be UV textured for things like rope etc. 10 has a thick fibre mode, but that's more 2d like feathers or strips of paper.

RebelHill
01-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Fibre thickness setting is used for how broad to render each fiber. If you turn the density down, you normally turn the thickness up, increasing the density you'd turn it down. This idea gos part way to what you're after.

But there's also the fiber type option, which lets you switch between thin type (usually for hair) and thick fiber type(camera align is easiest) which is more gonna suit waht ur after I think.

greg.reyna
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
In my quest for a yarn-like fiber I created a multi-strand helix object by making one helix, stretching and mirroring it. I then copy, paste & rotated the pair (in separate layers) until there were a bunch of them. After moving all the copies into one layer I had an object made up of tightly grouped helixes. I figured with hair on it this might look kinda like yarn. There are bones in it and it's set up for IK so the strand can be shaped. The idea is to connect a helix to each of the particles on the dome.

Oh well, the helix object loses all of its subtlety because I've got to use Volume Only in FFX.

Now the scene:
Loaded dome object, added emitter to it in Object Properties/Dynamics. Created 24 undying particles, with a max of 24. Set emitter to Frame, and nozzle to Surface. Loaded helix object, then activated fiber fx to put hair on it. Used FX_DynamicLinker to create 24 clones of the hirsute helix object, then activated each of the 24 in FiberFX. The render took 29 minutes. The result is not exactly what I had in mind...

I worked in LW 10.1. I've got 11 pre-release, but found that FFX is not fully implemented yet. 8-core Mac Pro 2010; OS 10.6.8

Greg

greg.reyna
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Now I discover that my LW 11 attempt to Instance the helix object does work, I screwed up by not activating Volume Only.

Matt
01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
A fiber's thickness is based on real hair dimensions, depending of how big your object is, you may need to increase the value considerably to get it to be really thick.