PDA

View Full Version : Rigging wings

rwhunt99
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I am trying to rig this dragon and I came to the wings and haven't figured out how to do it. I want to sort of automate the wing to spread out before I flap them something like in the Star Wars 1 movie of the creature who owned Anakim Skywalker.
I was trying to use follower on the ribs of the wing but the bones are all on different lanes and I am having a difficult time getting them to spread out the way I want. I could use some suggestions about the best way to do this
thanks in advance :help:

rwhunt99
01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
I forgot to include these images to give ou an idea of what I am talking aobut.

RebelHill
01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
You can either twist and reorient your bones so as their axis line up relative to each other better that gets you closer to your desired action with follower, or probably better in this case, use cyclist to animate the open/close action you want and drive that using a null.

rwhunt99
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
I haven't messed with cyclist but maybe it is time I did. I was actually thinking that maybe if I manually straightened the wing out by rotating the bones and then saved transformed and then re boned the wing so the bones would be more aligned so it might be easier to animate, but that seemed like a lot of work and maybe would end up in the same predicament.
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Skywatcher_NT
01-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Cyclist ! Simple to setup and easy to animate.
If you stack a few nulls in your bones parenting you can even make
multiple poses.

RebelHill
01-20-2012, 05:14 AM
also... if uve got LW11, cyclist is now stackable. previously if you wanted more than one cyclist modifier on an item, you had to layer up offset/nested items each to take one instance of cyclist. No need now in 11.