PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Quicksilver
03-02-2003, 01:41 PM
well, here is another question for you.
I admit it...I hate Microsoft...and I love Linux.Stable,cool looking,low cost.Don't you think that Windows costs wayyyy to much?But the thing I hate the most is the way windows manages hard disks...Windows grows bigger and bigger everyday if you let it ...plus the registry...oh my God!the registry!
I use windows only because I have to use lightwave...:confused:
should lightwave come availiable to Linux I will not think twice to format my HD .
Mac OS? well that would be an alternative but I prefer custom made PC's, a feature that Mac hardware cannot offer.

NEWTEK are you there???
Please...let lightwave become availiable to Linux...?Please?

wapangy
03-02-2003, 03:09 PM
I'll say yes because I hate windows, but I'd rather use Mac OS X anyday.

So were is that linux render node we were supposed to have? I'm thinking of setting up a cheap rendering computer.

Beamtracer
03-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Yeah, the survey should have had to option "Yes, because I hate Windows!" :D

Quicksilver
03-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Well, at least Maya is availiable for Linux...
I love Lightwave though. Far better GUI, intuitive, linear, clean.
And the price is low. Lightwave IS better...that is why it should come to Linux. It deserves a BETTER platform to work on!
Windows is invading as far as privacy goes,full of errors,costs a fortune,and when it comes to multiple licences you have to spend loads and loads of money. It is just not right.

We had a problem once...and we asked microsoft for help.
Sure they said we will help you ASAP...and of course they wanted MONEY.
Instead you get a boxed set of Linux, you pay 70-80 and you get help free of charge.

So tell me. Errors aside, privacy aside as well, why, WHY should I install Windows?

Oh yeah...I forgot...I have to use Lightwave as well.:(

Matt
03-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Used LW on MacOS 9, it was awful (not tried OSX, apparently it's a lot better) but as much as I used to hate Windows, LW runs fine on it for me, and I don't mind Windows that much these days.

Personally I feel Linux is still too inaccesible, it's still more aimed at programmers than regular people, and as much as I hate Bill Gates for his winey, nasely voice I come to accept that to hate Bill Gates does not mean I have to hate Windows.

My main gripe with Windows is that it still tries to 'hold your hand' too much, hey Microsoft, most users AREN'T that thick you know!!!

:)

Lightwolf
03-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Well, since my "other" favourite app is beeing ported to Linux right now (Digital Fusion), all I need now is a decent video editor and Lightwave :-)

markus
03-07-2003, 03:05 AM
The first step is done: The Linux rendernode has been released! :)

I would also be VERY happy to see a full version of LW for Linux.
Citing all everything I don't like about Windows would be too much to post here and only cause flamewars ;)
Linux also has it's flaws, but all in all I find it a much better OS than all versions of Windows released to date.

P.S.: When is Digital Fusion for Linux coming out? I have yet to buy a comp app for Linux and Shake is a bit too expensive and has an uncertain future on Linux...

Lightwolf
03-07-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by markus
P.S.: When is Digital Fusion for Linux coming out? I have yet to buy a comp app for Linux and Shake is a bit too expensive and has an uncertain future on Linux...

There is no official release date AFAIK (scanning the ML), but they stated in public that they're working on it.

Cheers and Viele Gre

PHilly[Dee]
03-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Personally I feel Linux is still too inaccesible, it's still more aimed at programmers than regular people....

Matt, you should look at RedHat 8.... Killer! You don't have to be a programmer to use Linux if you're doing what we do, IMHO...
Just make sure you have a good friend who's a programmer and likes Linux(I've got one... :D )

NanoGator
03-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm quite happy with the Windows 2000 environment, but I still voted yes to Lightwave on Linux. The main reason being that movie studios are leaning towards Linux, and that could result in Lightwave getting cold shouldered.

I'd rather run Lightwave on Linux and work at a Movie FX place than run Lightwave more comfortably on Windows and find my employment scope limited.

Besides, MS is getting more restrictive every time we turn around.

Nightwalker
03-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi, new here, just my 2cts:

I think that its not a matter of if but of when will Newtek port to Linux not only lw but all theyr apps.

Linux is becoming the most accepted Os for all kinds of highend computer apps, in 3d , composing, science applications, military aplycations, basicaly everiting that needs to be on the top notch in terms of computation power is turning to Linux os, the support from Nvidia etc.. is growing, almost every top competitor has ported (Maya, xsi, Houdini, only Max still is windows exclusive), the cards are on the table, if you dont do your move wile you can, you'l lose...
Some may say "Linux is too hard to learn, windows is just fine and I can play my games and stuff..", Thats true, from a hobby point of view there is no reason at all to switch, after all is that what windows do best, ease of use, you dont have to think it does everithing for you (what you whant and what you dont...), on the other hand if someone is considering being a professional, He has the obligation to learn the tools and be on top of new developements, you cant aspire to be in Cg without knowing a litle about computers...There is a very good chance that most studios will build Linux pipelines, small studios will take the examples from the big ones...This leads to another problem, if now there is more resistance than ever from many people to even consider Lightwave instead of Maya, imagine if they switch to Linux, Newtek would have to sell them not only Lightwave but also windows...

NanoGator
03-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Linux has actually gotten to a point that it's not so hard to use anymore. It's still rough around the edges, but the problems are evaporating.

I think it's about time that somebody does an 'Art distro' of Linux. *Nudges Newtek*

Quicksilver
03-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Nightwalker

Some may say "Linux is too hard to learn, windows is just fine and I can play my games and stuff..", Thats true, from a hobby point of view there is no reason at all to switch, after all is that what windows do best, ease of use, you dont have to think it does everithing for you (what you whant and what you dont...), on the other hand if someone is considering being a professional, He has the obligation to learn the tools and be on top of new developements, you cant aspire to be in Cg without knowing a litle about computers...There is a very good chance that most studios will build Linux pipelines, small studios will take the examples from the big ones...This leads to another problem, if now there is more resistance than ever from many people to even consider Lightwave instead of Maya, imagine if they switch to Linux, Newtek would have to sell them not only Lightwave but also windows...

true...true...;)
me beeing a living example...
I have two hard disk trays:one with linux+maya.The other has winXP and lightwave.(I don't like the dual boot solution with partitions)
On the other hand Linux is not difficult to use as far as graphical enviroment goes.You were clicking before and you are clicking now as well.
Ok...you have the shell.
But then how many people can say that they can use the DOS shell?You don't have to use it anyway...
Clicking here and there does not necessarily mean that u *USE* an OS...don't you think?By the way...using a 3d graphics program does not imply that u have to be windows/linux/macOS wizard...or not????

Quicksilver
03-10-2003, 04:58 AM
well...at this point of the day we are at 70%

Newtek do you see?????

Hiraghm
03-10-2003, 11:28 AM
I had a fun weekend.

For weeks I've been wanting to play some of my old video games. Crusader, Myst, etc. I came across an old motherboard (K6-300), an old Voodoo3 2000 video card, 3com ethernet adapter, an old 5.25 inch drive, my old SB Awe32 sound card and a couple older hard drives... so I got myself a cheap, old AT case, a cheap CD-ROM drive, and put together a dosbox.
While assembling it, it occurred to me that I could dual-boot it. DOS 6.22/Win 3.1 for my gaming stuff, Mandrake Linux 8.2 (also dug out of a closet) to connect the machine to the network and (maybe someday) use as a render node...

The Linux install went without a hitch. Well, it choked once and refused to install Netscape, but can you blame it? Everything was point-and click. As someone who's installed a lot of Windows on a lot of machines, this was just incredibly easy. All the tools I have under Windows were available in the taskbar, just like Windows.

Mandrake came with Blender and AC3D, which I didn't bother installing, so I would be sure to have room for Lightwave when the Linux version comes out.

The point of all this is that, even with old and semi-exotic equipment, the Linux install was as easy or easier than installing Windows 2000. I don't even want to go into the hair pulling I've gone through in the past year to get Win98 and/or Win2K to accept a new network adapter, or talk to the network, or recognize a new video or audio card. I'm not saying Windows is bad, or Linux is better because of this. I'm saying that Linux has finally achieved parity with Windows in terms of ease-of-use. And it exceeds Windows in terms of control.

What I wanna know is... will there be a version of Lightwave for the AmigaOne? How bout for the Commodore One? *ducks*

:D

Nightwalker
03-10-2003, 03:28 PM
The point of all this is that, even with old and semi-exotic equipment, the Linux install was as easy or easier than installing Windows 2000

Exactly, I think that most people complaining about Linux being hard to work with, never had tried it or has tried the earliest vertions (redhat 4.0 5.0), the new Kde 3 for instance is just great, you can play divx,dvds, mp3 etc just like in windows, you have realplayer for it, you can play most quicktime movies, this is all being developed in a daily basis, the only thing you can complain is about web plugs, since the companies dont do the port you have to use the crossover plugs.
Linux is clearly the platform of choice for me and I believe that the same happens for others, the fact for instance that you can compile the Kernel (easier than you might think) to fit exactly you sistem needs, or that you can forget about defrags, Linux dont fragment discs like windows... well its just diferent, once you get used to it you'l never look back...
In fack if newtek camed and said, "we will never port Lightwave to Linux" I would probably check other options, since this way I could't see mutch future for Lightwave outside the Hobyist market...

PHilly[Dee]
03-10-2003, 04:14 PM
exactly what I've been thinking... Genome too is a great interface... did you see the screenshot of Yoda in ILM's Cari? It's shell is Genome(at least that's what I thot I saw...)

Nightwalker
03-10-2003, 04:49 PM
I gess you mean Gnome;) , no I haven't seen the sreenshot.

Gnome is great also but for people transitioning from Windows Kde is easier to understand.
But that's another good thing about Linux, you have plenty of choices in windows managers (kde,gnome,enlightmwnt,nextstep, etc etc etc..)

mercz
03-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
...I hate Microsoft...and I love Linux.Stable,cool looking,low cost.Don't you think that Windows costs wayyyy to much?
Yes, maybe. But I am not so interested about price but about CHOICE. With Windows you have NO CHOICE.
Example: You bought winNT4 three years ago? Do you want to use USB? Ok, it is easy, buy win2k.
You bought win2k one year ago and sweet new TFT 17inch LCD right now? Do you want ClearType font smoothing? Ok, it is easy too, buy winXP.
Are you using Open Office or others over MS Office? Ok, we are solving that "problem". We will use a crypto file system in the future Windows, you will can not use other "Offices"
And so on.
Without that Win2k should be quite good OS anyway

I use windows only because I have to use lightwave...: Me too.

Mac OS? Newtek, follow me.
I can not simplified things but,

Mac OS X is unix, right?
Linux is unix, right?

So, is it so hard to port Lightwave to linux?

Aplle has 5% desktop users worlwide.
Linux 5% and it is growing. (I know these users differ from Aplles fans whose like overpriced hardware ;))

Is there fear about rentabillty of the linux port?

Developer tools for Windows are not so cheap, right?
There are non-commercional (no cost) or commercional developer tools for linux.

Is there fear about porting plugins?
IMHO more thirty-party plugin developer would come.

I vote for Lightwave and Aura linux port

LSlugger
03-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Starting with the renderer is a great idea, as it gives the most bang for the buck. It's a lot easier, both for NewTek and for users, to change the O/S of a render node than a workstation. While many LW shops may have considered Linux, I think NewTek would find the initial demand underwhelming. After Linux has infiltrated the render farm, however, the demand for a full port may increase.

Despite the initial problems, I think that the Linux renderer will be a big success. In the long run, Linux render nodes will be cheaper and easier to maintain than Windows or Macintosh.

I would love to see a full port of LightWave for Linux. However, I've seen what happens when companies have a bad first experience. People cite the failure of Loki and Corel as proof that there's no money to be made with Linux. Let NewTek wait until the time is right (but not too long, I hope).

Quicksilver
03-13-2003, 02:08 AM
:D
Good point there mercz.

LSlugger:
Personally I think that failure as far as Corel and Loki go was not the fact that there can be no money made with Linux;
the fact is from my point of view that there were just few people using it at that moment.Their targets could not be achieved.There were no buyers.
Then there is price.(But as far as Lightwave goes the price level is excellent)
Plus those few who used Linux at that point had nothing to do with graphics.It was server oriented tech. You see, number of users aside, (Mac users are not that many you know...) Linux was never considered as the perfect graphics patform.Never got to understand why really. Even the GUI is a blast. Open GL?u can have Open GL on linux as well!
Then the fist step was made:
THE GIMP:fair, stable simple,powerful(But you know what GIMP guys?Unfortunatelly I like far better Photoshop 7).And so some *few* people started using Linux for graphics and "image manipulation".
Then there was THE BLESSING. Maya.And you know that Maya is a BIG deal.
Will there be THE WONDER as well?That is up to newtek to decide.
(I would add Adobe here as well,but that is another story)
Personaly I am sick and tired of rebooting.I am sick and tired of F$ing up my rights as individual because Microsoft wishes.I am sick and tired of RIAA having to know what music I hear or convert in MP3, or what DVD movies I watch.Or what updates I MUST perform.I hate doing maintenance in the registry,or having to delete files here and there because Uninstaller was not efficient.
But you know...I love using lightwave.
So untill newtek hears my call for help I'll stick to windows:o (and once in a while I'll swap my HDs to take a PLEASANT walk to linux-land when I have to use Internet or Maya)

markus
03-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Good points!

What I find interesting is, that everyone in the various linux threads on the NewTek forums seems to have just joined up with only a few messages posted.
That leads me to believe, that new people have hopped onboard since the release, or at least been made aware of LW.

LSlugger
03-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Quicksilver: perhaps I should have elaborated on the Loki and Corel examples.

Loki had great products and would still be around with better management. I read that they produced over 100,000 copies of Quake 3, which was several times what any previous Loki title had sold. Meanwhile, you could download Linux binaries for the Windows version, which was released earlier. id Software regards Quake 3 for Linux as a failure, citing poor sales figures. I think that's a poor conclusion, because the Linux version had everything going against it. I hope id realizes that as they prepare to release Doom 3.

Corel had the beginnings of decent Linux products, but let them die on the vine. Again, I think the failure lies on Corel, not on Linux.

The point is, I'd like to see NewTek do a Linux port under the right circumstances. Otherwise, they might be discouraged by a poor initial showing. I believe the Linux renderer will help pave the way for a successful port of the full product. As LW shops and plugin authors get used to the idea of Linux, demand for a full port may increase.

Quicksilver
03-14-2003, 02:58 AM
You know what?I'd like to know what mr.Chuck Baker and mr Mike Guerra think.At least we get something official that way...

And I'd like to know what Mr Dan Ablan think as well...

Hiraghm
03-14-2003, 03:18 AM
I can tell you what Chuck Baker, Mike Guerra, and Dan Ablan think...

They all think thoughts.

;)