PDA

View Full Version : Eyelids movement? Nodal Stress maps?

ruud
01-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Hi, I want to setup some eyes with moving eyelids, when I try to make this with weightmaps the surrouding flesh around the eyeball is moving 100% with the eyebones, even when I put only 4% of weight into the surrounding geometry.

Does anyone has an idea on how to rig that?

Second Question is about the stress map, there is no stress map node inside the node editor, I know it's a common problem, but are there any developments on this issue?

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this.

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 05:14 AM
weightmaps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZPdqCmKq8&list=PLFE2602D321EE2775&index=5&feature=plpp_video

And stress map node is available with dpont's plugin collection.

ruud
01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
I've tried the dpont's node, but I can't get it to work properly, do you know how to connect it?

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
use it as the input for a gradient node and set the gradient to a -1>1 range to represent compressions/stretching.

ruud
01-18-2012, 07:38 AM
I did that, even with extreme values, the bending doesn't show any color differences other than some polygonal color errors... is it possible that it only works on the Pitch or something?

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 08:10 AM
nope... doesnt work on axis, works on mesh.

For instance set a gradient node, -1=red,0=black, 1=blue, plug into your surface colour input, and plug the tension into the gradient input parameter... Now bending bones will cause the colour of the mesh to change around the point of deformation, wth squashed polys turning red, and stretched ones blue, base state ones will remain black.

ruud
01-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks, it didn't work because there was a 6 sided plane in the object... now I need to translate this to the bumpmap, but the start is there.

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 08:30 AM
same thing... but turn on show output (which really means show input) on the gradient, and you can plug other nodes into the key positions.

ruud
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
ok, now the final question to get it all done... I'm using simple skin as a node shader, but when I connect any bump map it doesn't seem to work (even with extreme values) When I disconnect the simple skin from the surface node, and connect the bump to the surface it does work. My question, why doesnt this work with the simple skin node?

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
simple, as well as the other skin shaders, are subsurface scattering models, so the surface is slightly translucent and "volumey"... This makes bumps appear less pronounced.

Either turning up your bump a lot can help, connecting bump to both the material shader and surface input... normal maps seem to have more influence than bump too in these shaders, so u can use a normal map instead, or in addition, or use the bump>normal node to convert ur bump and double its input to the normal channel too, as well as, if ur using a painted map, altering the contrast manually in pshop or something to make its features more pronounced from each other.

oh yeah, u can increase the respect bump value in the skin node too.

ruud
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I've connected a bump image map and also a procedural map to the simple skin node, i've put it to 20000% but there's nothing changing, I even tried a multiplier and a scalar node to get results, I can connect it to the diffuse input, but that isn't really what i'm trying to achieve..

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
reli dunno what else to say..

u can post ur thing, see if someone can identify it.

ruud
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Here you go, you can see the Crumple bump map is pretty cranked up. Like to know what you think...

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
i meant the content... ud need to fiddle with the different nodes, setting in the skin, etc, look around other scene settings to see what u may be doing wrong.

ull get better results narrowing such things down too if u disconnect all ur colour maps and look solely at the bump contribution.