PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Frustration

michaeldejong
01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Which settings do I need to focus on to prevent my cloth from completely going through my collision objects ?

I mean its not partially showing some of the object the cloth is being draped over .. its completely ignoring the object and falling through it and becoming an insane mess of an object by the ninth frame.

I know the basics of this dynamic simulation but cant figure out whats happening here.

any help/thoughts/suggestions ?

Dodgy
01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
You have selected some thing in the Collision field in the clothFX panel? And attached CollisionFX to your object you want it to collide with? Silly questions I know...

michaeldejong
01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes all the basics are done, yet im still getting very strange results with this scene.

Basically for the sake of sheer simplicity, im trying to drop a pillow-case onto a sphere that makes a short orbit with the cloth behaving accordingly.

self interaction, double sided, subdivide first, subdivide last, all these settings have been factored in and out .. and still no love.

Surrealist.
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Yes all the basics are done, yet im still getting very strange results with this scene.

Basically for the sake of sheer simplicity, im trying to drop a pillow-case onto a sphere that makes a short orbit with the cloth behaving accordingly.

self interaction, double sided, subdivide first, subdivide last, all these settings have been factored in and out .. and still no love.

How about a screen cap or better a scene file?

michaeldejong
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
hi so I have got the scene doing what I need, I flipped the normals of the cloth object to be facing the collision object, then I activated double sided both in the clothFX and Surface editor,

also I forgot about the radius/level in the FXCollision.

so, mystery solved I guess! :)

Surrealist.
01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
One small tip. You don't need to offset the collision on both the cloth and the collision object. And also that both of these create a "force field". So that if both are active it creates two force fields that should not inter-penetrate before the sim starts. I think these are in real world units. So it is relative to the scale of your scene. Make sure the mesh of the collision object does not penetrate the force field of the cloth object before the simulation or it will do strange things if not blow apart. It is one of the reasons the cloth will jitter.