PDA

View Full Version : scaling

Stephen0523
01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello all. I know I have asked this before, but I am still a bit off with it. See the attached. The objects were drawn in illustrator at 1:1 size as scale. They are 48" high.
I imported into LW and chose 1:1 in the eps importer. My grid is showing 1000', do I need to size down my object in LW or is there a way to adjust the grid?
A tutorial on this sort of scaling would be great. I looked, but did not find anything that references what I am trying to do.

Thanks

steve0077
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Display options- units tab-Grid units

biliousfrog
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
What I do, whenever I need to load in CAD data or models from 3rd parties, is use Matt's brilliant Set Scale (formally Distance Scale) plugin to ensure that the geometry is at the correct size. Thankfully, in 10.1, it is included as standard but if you're using 9.6 or earlier head over to his site and download it straight away (Google Matt Gorner Lightwave plugins).

Select two points on the geometry that you know the required distance of. In 10.1, go to Modify - Transform - More - Set Scale. It will tell you the current distance between the points and let you input the distance it should be, if different.

Stephen0523
01-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try! I am using version 11, so hopefully it will work.

Stephen

Cryonic
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello all. I know I have asked this before, but I am still a bit off with it. See the attached. The objects were drawn in illustrator at 1:1 size as scale. They are 48" high.
I imported into LW and chose 1:1 in the eps importer. My grid is showing 1000', do I need to size down my object in LW or is there a way to adjust the grid?
A tutorial on this sort of scaling would be great. I looked, but did not find anything that references what I am trying to do.

Thanks

Yeah, 48" in Illustrator is just how large on paper the item is and has no other real relation to a physical object, at least not as far as Lightwave is concerned.

http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-109729.html

Stephen0523
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi. I have just tried Set Scale and it does show the dimension of the object. When I input the dimension, the object disappears.
I hit the A key to fit, and there is only a point selected and the object is missing.

I am adding some screen grabs to help clarify.

Is there a tutorial on this Set Scale somewhere?

Stephen

biliousfrog
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
The default settings should work fine, select just two points and input the size required in the real world distance.

biliousfrog
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_lscripts.html

cagey5
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi. I have just tried Set Scale and it does show the dimension of the object. When I input the dimension, the object disappears.
I hit the A key to fit, and there is only a point selected and the object is missing.

I am adding some screen grabs to help clarify.

Is there a tutorial on this Set Scale somewhere?

Stephen

As stated previously, choose just two points, but also In your screen grabs you are showing a distance of zero feet for the real world distance which might explain why it disappears to nothing.

Stephen0523
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Ha, I got it to work!

Cheers for all your help, now let get a beer!!

Regards
Stephen

lertola2
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
To bring files from illustrator to lightwave at a 1 to 1 scale set the import scale to be 0.000352778. Here is an explanation:

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1168176&postcount=15

-Joe

Stephen0523
01-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi Joe.
Thanks for the response. Where can I find more info on the absolute size command or the aligner command?

Thanks

lertola2
01-23-2012, 08:45 PM
The absolute size command is very handy for making things a known size. For example if I get a model of a figure that was not made in lightwave it is almost certain that it will not be sized correctly. It might be 80 meters tall or 1.5 km. I just open the absolute size command and type 6 ft. in the y scale field and click the locked button and the object is scaled proportionally to the correct size. Then I use the rest on ground command to put it standing at the origin.

The aligner command is equally handy. One way I use it is when I want to draw in illustrator and have the drawing line up with something in modeler. First I draw an large box around my model. I screen grab a modeler viewport that includes the model and the box and paste it into illustrator. In illustrator use the screen grab to draw my new parts for the model and I also trace the large box. I save as illustrator 8 and bring it into modeler. Then you can put the large box in a background layer and use the aligner command to center the eps art and scale it to fit in exactly the right place. I always use the center option in the aligner dialog. I have tried a few times to figure out what all the plus and minus buttons do but I have found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

-Joe

JamesCurtis
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Wish I'd known about these plugins before [never realized they were there]. I just had an instance where I had 5 machines which were originally Cad files saved as STL's. I found that LW was bringing them in at 100 times the size. In other words if an STL was 700 ft in width, in LW, I had to rescale them down to 1% the size to be right.

Stephen0523
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks all for your help! This allows me to work in a scaled format more efficiently.

Regards
Stephen